1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Katrina Death Toll May Not Hit 10,000

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by poncho, Sep 10, 2005.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

NEW ORLEANS - Alarming predictions of as many as 10,000 dead in New Orleans may have been greatly exaggerated, with authorities saying Friday that the first street-by-street sweep of the swamped city revealed far fewer corpses than feared.

"Some of the catastrophic deaths that some people predicted may not have occurred," said retired Marine Col. Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security chief.

He declined to give a revised estimate. But he added: "Numbers so far are relatively minor as compared to the dire projections of 10,000."

SOURCE

FEMA Wants No Photos of Dead

NEW ORLEANS — The U.S. agency leading Hurricane Katrina rescue efforts said Tuesday that it does not want the news media to photograph the dead as they are recovered.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, heavily criticized for its slow response to the devastation caused by the hurricane, rejected journalists' requests to accompany rescue boats searching for storm victims.

An agency spokeswoman said space was needed on the rescue boats.

"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman said in an e-mail.

SOURCE

Media groups say FEMA censors search for bodies

WASHINGTON, Sept 7 (Reuters) - When U.S. officials asked the media not to take pictures of those killed by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, they were censoring a key part of the disaster story, free speech watchdogs said on Wednesday.

The move by the Federal Emergency Management Agency is in line with the Bush administration's ban on images of flag-draped U.S. military coffins returning from the Iraq war, media monitors said in separate telephone interviews.

"It's impossible for me to imagine how you report a story whose subject is death without allowing the public to see images of the subject of the story," said Larry Siems of the PEN American Center, an authors' group that defends free expression.

U.S. newspapers, television outlets and Web sites have featured pictures of shrouded corpses and makeshift graves in New Orleans.

But on Tuesday, FEMA refused to take reporters and photographers along on boats seeking victims in flooded areas, saying they would take up valuable space need in the recovery effort and asked them not to take pictures of the dead.

<snip>

"The notion that, when there's very little information from FEMA, that they would even spend the time to be concerned about whether the reporting effort is up to its standards of taste is simply mind-boggling," Daugherty said. "You cannot report on the disaster and give the public a realistic idea of how horrible it is if you don't see that there are bodies as well."

SOURCE

2. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

The mayor of NO has been right about NOTHING! From the very beginning to his prediction about the dead. He should quietly slither away into the night.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I never really expected it to be 10,000 - but I do worry about how many it will be. There were 58 in one small Mississippi town, 30 in a New Orleans nursing home, several that passed away at the Super Dome.

They are telling us that it isn't as high, but they were trying to keep the media from being there when they gathered the dead. I am not normally a consipiracy person, but I feel something is wrong. They haven't released any counts. On September 11th, they changed the count every few hours.

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I think he reason they don't want to show the bodies is two-fold. They will be bloated and decomposing, and the gov knows the anti-bushes are not above using the ugley pics for political gain.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Slither" would be the word.
    [​IMG]

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Bush censored our war dead, coming home from Iraq, too.

Secrecy is his way.

If we can't see the bodies, he doesn't have to take responsibility.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your implication, of course, is that Bush is responsible for the deaths in New Orleans.

Ridiculous! :rolleyes:

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I heard this same point issued by a liberal talk show host on Irish radio.

I thought he was way beneath his usual reasoned, intellegent level of arguement.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

According to what I read it was FEMA doing the censoring. FEMA has power over and above the president the way I understand it.

I suppose the President will get the blame for confiscating legal firearms from American citizens also, but really what can he do when an organization such as FEMA is giving all the orders? He could speak out against it I suppose, but I haven't heard him do it yet. About either issue.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

The big flood that occurred in my country in 1953 caused 1853 deaths.
    If the Katrina death toll remains below that number, I'd say that the USA will have come rather well out of this crisis.

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

They found 70 bodies in a hospital. Thirty bodies in a nursing home.

Am I the only one who seems to think that the people who most expected to be protected by the local, state or federal authorities are the people who apparently were doomed in this storm?

12. Petrel

Petrel New Member

It used to be that tragic stories like this were reported with some semblance of respect and decorum. Why is it necessary for us to see the bodies of the dead to understand that people have died? Humans are capable of abstract thought.

I suppose Mr. Siems thinks that we ought to release autopsy photographs of murder victims to the press because "the people have a right to know." :rolleyes:

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

The mayor did not take care of his people. Nursing homes and hospitals should be the first evacuated and it is up to local authorities to see that it gets done. Those people should have been out of harms way 48 hours before the hurricane hit.

Criminal. :mad:

14. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

If we can't see any part of the body count, or have someone there that we can trust, whether they show it or not, then we may never know the exact count!!!

That is why Bush wouldn't allow us to see the bodies coming back from Iraq. Out of sight, out of mind!!

(IMOHO)

Tam

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really want them to bring out decomposed bodies and put them in body bags in front of you so you can believe there is a dead person in the bag?

If that is the case, I suggest that there is no one you will ever "trust" enough to tell you how many died.

If so who would it be? How about some names?

Who was the person at the World Trade Centers that you trusted to be sure the bits and pieces of people that were located were counted properly?

Or do you believe those numbers were made up also?

16. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

No, I don't need to see them putting bodies in body bags. I do want the news media to be able to see the body bags and tell us the count. I don't trust the government, that's what I'm saying!!

The world trade center is a different matter. That was caused by terrorists. The count would be more accurate there because no one in government could be blamed, because we didn't know exactly when it would/could happen!! No, those numbers were not made up!!

Peace,

Tam

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I see Bush finally did take responsibility for the disaster.

Good on him. And I expect that you'll now be seeing more pictures of bodies. There's no reason to censor them anymore.

Wait and see...

18. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

There could be some that were murdered in with those that actually were killed by the hurricane. What if some husband decided that he would rather not be married anymore. He could hold his wife's head down, drown her (making it look like it happened by an act of nature), then collect her life insurance money, and go live on some tropical island drinking drinks with the little straws. ;)

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your suspicious nature does you no credit.

Why would anyone hide the actual numbers? Eventually a list of names will be published. There will be people who are looking for the names of friends, relatives, and loved ones. Don't you think they will complain if their names were missing?

That would really point to a coverup by authorities. They will not allow that to be a possibility. The count will be accurate.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes there was and there still is. It's called common decency and respect for the dead.