1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keep commandments?The tree of life?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by GAPS119X20, Dec 15, 2001.

1. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi Pauline
    Scripture does seem to indicate that the heads of these religions know what they are doing.The new testament points to them and the old verifys it and what they have done to the law of GOD.Ezek.22 calls it a conspiracy amoung her prophets!That cant be any clearer as to their intent

1 PETER 5[8] Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking
    whom he may devour:

the devil-roaring lion-

MATT.7[14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    [15] Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

False prophets-ravening wolves

ACTS 20[29] For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
    [30] Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

More wolves

EPH.4 [17] This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,[18] Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:[19] Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Vanity-Clean and unclean-greed

ZEPH.3[1] Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city![2] She obeyed not the voice; she received
    not correction; she trusted not in the LORD; she drew not near to her God.[3] Her princes within her are roaring
    lions; her judges are evening wolves; they gnaw not the bones till the morrow.[4] Her prophets are light and
    treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law.[5] The just LORD is
    in the midst thereof; he will not do iniquity: every morning doth he bring his judgment to light, he faileth not; but the unjust knoweth no shame.[6] I have cut off the nations: their towers are desolate; I made their streets waste, that
    none passeth by: their cities are destroyed, so that there is no man, that there is none inhabitant.[7] I said, Surely thou wilt fear me, thou wilt receive instruction; so their dwelling should not be cut off, howsoever I punished them: but they rose early, and corrupted all their doings.[8] Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy.

More lions and wolves and false prophets doing violence to GODS LAW! And yes, Zeph.3 verse 8 is describing things
    that will take place on THE DAY OF THE LORD!

EZEK.22 [23] And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,[24] Son of man, say unto her, Thou art the land that is not cleansed, nor rained upon in the day of indignation.[25] There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.[26] Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.
    [27] Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.[28] And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the LORD hath not spoken

roaring lions-vanity-ravening wolves-conspiracy of her prophets-violated MY law-dishonest gain
    HID THEIR EYES FROM MY SABBATHS-the day of indignation=THE DAY OF THE LORD!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Disciple 2001:
    Protestants separate Catholic commandment number 1 into two commandments. My question is, how do they keep this commandment of not making any graven image? How about a picture of their wife or husband or kids in their wallets? How about a nativity scene? How about a picture of a waterfall in their living room? Or even the coins in their pockets with graven images on them?
    It seems to me, commandment number one, of having no other gods before me, includes commandment number two. It comes down to we are not to worship false gods.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ex.20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
    2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Let's look at these first two commandments in their context. I honestly don't know how you can think that the Lord spent the entire first six verses just on one commandment. However, the first commandment is in verse three: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." God alone is to be worshipped. You don't have to make an image to worship Allah. That would be a transgression of this commandment. You don't have to out of your way to make a graven image to worship another god. Many at that time were sun-worshipers, moon-worshipers, etc.
    The second commandment deals with the making of graven images into idols, and then worshiping them. When it says, thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing..." that is in the context of worshipping God. It also has another context. "Thou shalt not make any graven image of God." To worship anything, as the Hindu or the animist does, as a god is wrong. But also to make any likeness of what you believe to be God, and worship it as God, is wrong. Both are wrong. If the Israelites made any image of what they thought Jehovah was like it was wrong. Whether they bowed down to it or not, it was wrong. It was wrong to make an image or likeness of God. I believe the same command is applicable today. For that reason, I personally do not believe in crucifixes, nativity scenes with an actual infant depicting Jesus, pictures of "Jesus," etc. Jesus is our Lord and God. I believe that anything that portrays Him today in picture, statue, etc. is wrong. And when you make the stations of the cross, you commit gross idolatry, by bowing down to that image and worshipping it. That is what worship is. That is exactly what the next verse says. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them.
    So, to most Baptists, and many Protestants, it seems like the Catholics, in their shortened form of their Ten Commandments, have deliberately omitted these verses because they deliberately and flagrantly violate these commandments. They make images of God, and then bow down before them- -exactly what the Ten Commandments tells us not to do.
    As far as the Ten Commandments being only for the Israelites, all of the commandments are repeated in some way or another in the New Testament except one, and that one is, "Thou shalt keep holy the Sabbath Day." This commandment was a sign to the Israelites, and meant specifically for the Israelites. Otherwise, God has never done away with His moral law. In fact he has written it on the hearts of all individuals (Rom.2:14,15).
    DHK

3. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

THE LAW AND THE TESTIMONY

ISAIAH 8 [16] Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.[17] And I will wait upon the LORD, that
    hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.[18] Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.[19] And
    when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?[20] To the law and to the testimony: if they
    speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.[21] And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse
    their king and their God, and look upward.[22] And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

No light in those people who do not keep the law and have the testimony of Christ
    and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse
    their king and their God, and look upward.(dont let this happen to you)

PSALM 78 [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.[2] I will open my mouth
    in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:[3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
    [4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.[5] For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law
    in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:[6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:
    [7] That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:
    [8] And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.[9] The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle.[10] They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law;

Notice in verse 9 and 10, no where does it say Ephraim did not have the testimony of Christ. Only that they would not walk in the law.

PSALM 19 [5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
    [6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.[7] The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise
    the simple.[8] The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

The bridegroom coming out of his chamber - nothing hid from the heat - THE DAY OF THE LORD
    The law and the testimony

REV.12 [16] And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.[17] And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ
    Its not pick one or the other!
    Whats so hard to understand?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    &lt;&lt;Which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ
    Its not pick one or the other!
    Whats so hard to understand?&gt;&gt;

No one perfectly keeps the commandments of God (Actually the Law of Moses).
    As someone mentioned, everyone has money in their pockets. Look in your wallet. A one dollar bill has a symbol of ISIS on the back and the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" Presumably this is the god ISIS. In any event, you possess an image forbidden in the commandments. Images of gods and created beings enGRAVEN upon gentile money.
    In Jesus time the Hebrew shekel had no image
    because the pharisees understood the commandment against images (though they broke it by possessing Roman money).

Here is the only way to perfectly keep the commandments:

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
    22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Go and do thee likewise.

HankD

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: HankD ]

5. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Were the 10 commandments nailed to the cross?
    Or was it the law contained in ordinances as the bible says

MATT.19 [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

If thou wilt enter life,keep the commandments! Murder-steal-false witness! The 10 commandments! If you will notice
    in Matt.19 that the commandment "you will have no other gods before me" is not written there. Does this mean we can ignore that commandment?

1JOHN2 [3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

If you say you know GOD and are not keeping the 10 commandments,this passage from the new testament calls you a liar!

1JOHN5[1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

. Many have come in the name of Jesus, saying we are no longer under the law, therefore we need not keep the ten commandments. They fail to tell you that the law that was nailed to the cross was the law contained in ordinances!
    Which has nothing to do with the 10 commandments.

JAMES 2 [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

Adultery-kill (sound familiar) how can you transgress these commandments if they were nailed to the cross? If you break the sabbath commandment are you also a transgressor? Or do you get to pick and choose whatever commandments you wish to follow?All those who practice iniquity (lawlessness) have one thing in common. They all want to break GODS sabbath command. Some will say the whole law(includind the 10 commandments) was nailed to the cross. Some will say that Jesus is now our sabbath rest. In the above scripture it states that if you break one point of the 10 commandments
    you are guilty of all. Has the whole world been decieved?According to scripture, it appears so!

REV.12 [16] And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.[17] And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

REV.14 [11] And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.[12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.[13] And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

These last 2 verses which are taken out of the last book of the bible leads me to believe that
    Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GAPS119X20:
    Were the 10 commandments nailed to the cross?
    Adultery-kill (sound familiar) how can you transgress these commandments if they were nailed to the cross? If you break the sabbath commandment are you also a transgressor? Or do you get to pick and choose whatever commandments you wish to follow?All those who practice iniquity (lawlessness) have one thing in common. They all want to break GODS sabbath command. Some will say the whole law(includind the 10 commandments) was nailed to the cross. Some will say that Jesus is now our sabbath rest. In the above scripture it states that if you break one point of the 10 commandments
    you are guilty of all. Has the whole world been decieved?According to scripture, it appears so!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GAPS, Do you keep the Sabbath? If so, how?

7. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi DHK
    I do try and keep GODS sabbath as best i can.

ISAIAH 58 [12] And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
    [13] If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:[14] Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

This is the scripture i follow in keeping the sabbath.There are no churches in this area where i can go on the sabbath.All here sanctify sunday as the day of rest.

8. Pauline

Pauline New Member

Gaps,
    You're basing your observance of the sabbath on OT verses, written for the Israelites. The sabbath was a sign between God and the Israelites for all of their generations.

In NT times the Christians were already keeping the first day of the week, calling it the Lord's Day.

Are you Seventh Day Adventist, Seventh Day Baptist or other? If you are SDA, you should take a look at www.ellenwhite.org .

Pauline

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Anyone who thinks that the 10 commandments are no longer in effect, just try breaking them and see if there are any consequences.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Hi DHK
    I do try and keep GODS sabbath as best i can.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GAPS, I don't pretend to know your lifestyle, but I dont't think you keep the Sabbath Day, especially if one lives in New York, on a cold winter day.
    First, one of the stipulations of keeping the Sabbath was that you could travel no more than a "a Sabbath Day's Journey" or about 5/8 of a mile. Do you keep that one?
    Second. Remeber the person that was stoned to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath Day? Pretty stiff sentence wasn't it? Gathering sticks was for fuel. In our day our fuel is regulated by knobs, thermostats, and so on. In other words, if you want more heat in your house don't touch that thermostat, that's against the Sabbath. Don't turn on the stove or oven that's against the Sabbath, Likewise the microwave, the electric kettle, and anything that provides a source of fuel for cooking or for heat. That's what he was stoned for.
    Third, do you prepare meals of any kind on the Sabbath, or cause others to prepare meals on the Sabbath? Eating out is a cop-out. You must prepare all your meals the day before.
    Fourth. You cannot do any labor, of any kind, whether business related or house related. No washing of dishes, vaccuuming, doing of laundry, etc. Absolutely no work on the Sabbath.
    Fifth. In violation of any of these rules are you willing to be stoned to death?
    This is the Old Testament Law.
    Are you sure you still keep the Sabbath?
    Are you sure you still want to live under the Law? Why keep part of the Law and ignore the rest?
    DHK

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: DHK ]

11. Pauline

Pauline New Member

DHK,
    Good post. You beat me to the subject of how the sabbath must be kept.

Ps,
    Yes, the Ten Commandments are still in effect and man does need a day of rest and worship. But the seventh day sabbath was for the Israelites. The apostles changed that day to the first day of the week, the Lord's Day, during NT times.

DHK made excellent points in his post. My SDA friends tell me they don't have to keep the seventh day sabbath the way it was kept in the OT. But orthodox Jews still keep it in detail -- not lighting a fire, etc -- still today. Therefore, if you are going to keep the seventh day sabbath, you should become a Jew and keep it exactly.

If you believe in Jesus Christ as Savior, then you can't become a Jew. So you should live the new law given us by Christ and handed down by His apostles. We know from the writings of the early Christians that it was considered heresy for a Christian to keep the sabbath according to the Jewish law. Christ fulfilled the old law and gave us the new law, which actually is a higher, most demanding law because it is a law of love.

Pauline

12. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

HI all
    I keep the commandment as given.I do not add all those little extras on the commandment as the Jews did.Jesus picked corn on the sabbath and healed on the sabbath.And HE was without sin.According to those who practice lawlessness,the commandments were not nailed to the cross till Jesus was crucified.So in effect they are saying Jesus broke the commandments just as the Jews did.I am not a 7th day adventist as they deny the only sign to be given.The sign of Jonah.As do most christians.They also deny the fact that Jesus will return to earth at HIS 2nd coming as written in ZECH.14 verse 4.

13. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi DHK
    I believe you said something about starting a fire on the sabbath.I always wondered about that.In the new testament it says Jesus was the WORD that became flesh.While HE was here HE spoke in parables,so i thought i would look into it.Sure enough!

kindle no fire-fire and the tounge

EXOD.35 [2] Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.[3] Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.

PROVERBS 26 [20] Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
    [21] As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.
    [22] The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.

JAMES 3 [4] Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.[5] Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth![6] And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on
    fire of hell.[7] For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath
    been tamed of mankind:[8] But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

JER.17 [26] And they shall come from the cities of Judah, and from the places about Jerusalem, and from the land of Benjamin, and from the plain, and from the mountains, and from the south, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices, and meat offerings, and incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the LORD.[27] But if ye will not
    hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on
    the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Aint the WORD of GOD great!

14. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi Pauline-you wrote

In NT times the Christians were already keeping the first day of the week, calling it the Lord's Day.

Where do you find this in the bible?

15. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi again Pauline
    You wrote
    Christ fulfilled the old law and gave us the new law, which actually is a higher, most demanding law because it is a law of love.

ARE GODS PEOPLE KEEPING HIS COMMANDMENTS
    or is "all ya need is love"

GALATIANS 5 [13] For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the
    flesh, but by love serve one another.[14] For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy
    neighbour as thyself.
    JOHN 13 [33] Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews,
    Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.[34] A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another;
    as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.[35] By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have
    love one to another.

The 2 above scriptures are used by those who practice iniquity(lawlessness).They interpret these to mean, if you love one
    another you need not keep the 10 commandments. But what does the bible say?You can read about those who practice lawlessness in 2Thes.2 verse 7.If you have a KJV bible.

All the scriptures below tell us how we are to love one another. And there all quite clear!
    Keep the 10 commandments = love

JOHN 15 [8] Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.[9] As the Father
    hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.[10] If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1JOHN 5 [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
    [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which
    we had from the beginning, that we love one another.[6] And this is love, that we walk after his commandments.
    This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

JAMES 2 [8] If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do
    well: [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said, Do not
    commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a
    transgressor of the law.

ROMANS 13 [8] Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    [9] For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.[10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

I decided to show the scripture of James 2 and Romans 13 because there will be some out there that will tell you the
    "commandments" mentioned are not the 10 commandments. But as you can see in these scriptures, adultry killing, stealing, bearing false witness, covetness are mentioned. There will also be some out there that will tell you since the" keeping of the sabbath" is not mentioned or" thou shalt have no other gods before me"is not mentioned these commandments can be ignored. YIKES!

If you are not- committing adultry,killing,stealing,bearing false witness,coveting,or breaking
    any other commandment,You are keeping the law! If you are not keeping the law,you are not loving one another(according to the bible) !!

16. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

JESUS PAUL AND THE GENTILES

LUKE 4 [14] And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through
    all the region round about.[15] And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.[16] And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up
    for to read.

JESUS kept the sabbath

ACTS 17 [2] And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,[3] Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that
    this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

PAUL kept the sabbath

ACTS 13 [42] And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.[43] Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
    [44] And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

GENTILES taught on the sabbath

Not to mention theres no where in the new testament where sabbath has been changed

MARK 7 [7] Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Mat.12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

That Jesus went into the synagogues and taught on the Sabbath day is not proof that He kept the Sabbath day. He would have done this whether He kept the Sabbath or not.

"If you are not keeping the law, you are not loving one another(according to the bible) !!"
    This is a warped interpretation of the Bible, and is not what Jesus or the Apostles taught. In fact they taught the exact opposite:
    Gal.3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them."
    ---If you do not continue every minute of every day of your life from birth to death in keeping the law, never breaking one of them, not even once in your life, if you do not continue all the time doing, keeping the law, you are cursed. Have you ever told a lie.? Just once in your life? If you have, you have broken God's law, and God says you are under his curse.
    Keeping the law is not love. Keeping the law is impossible.

Gal.3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
    ---Paul says plainly that the law is our schoolmaster, our teacher, to bring us to Christ. It shows us that we are sinners in need of a Saviour. Then Paul says that after that faith is come, that is after I put my faith in Christ, we are no longer under a schoolmaster (i.e. the Law). The purpose of the Law was to show me that I am a sinner, and to bring me to Christ. Christ fulfilled the law when He died on the cross for our sins.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
    ---In Acts 2 the believers met daily, but by Acts 20 we find them meeting primarily on the first day of the week. This seems to be verified by other references in the epistles such as:

16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
    2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
    ---Paul, on his missionary journey, was taking up a collection for the poor saints at Jerusalem. He gives directions to the believers at the church at Corinth, as he already has given to the churches of Galatia: "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store..." Why the first day of the week? That was when the church gathered, and that is when Paul would meet with them, on the first day of the week.

"I keep the commandment as given.I do not add all those little extras on the commandment as the Jews did.Jesus picked corn on the sabbath and healed on the sabbath.And HE was without sin."
    ---What a mouthful that is! So you pick and choose. "All those little extras on the commandment as the Jews did," is how you are to keep the Sabbath. Otherwise you are not keeping the Sabbath. Either you keep it or you don't. You don't have a choice here, if you are going to be consistent with Scripture. You cannot say, "I keep the Sabbath," and then not keep it. You can't take the Bible and read the first five chapters of Genesis and the last five chapters of Revelation, and then tell me that you have read all the Bible.
    Jesus picked corn on the Sabbath, and healed on the Sabbath, and He was without sin. Yes He was without sin. He was and is God. And He was the Lord of the Sabbath.

Mk.2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
    28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
    ---If you are going to keep the Sabbath, become a Jew, as Pauline suggests. Otherwise the Sabbath is not for you. Jesus came and did away with the Sabbath. He fulfilled it.

Consider Exodus 31:12-18
    12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
    14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
    16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
    18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

In verse 13 the Lord speaks to none other than Israel. That is His audience--Israel. He says, Ye-- Israel shall keep my sabbaths. "It is a SIGN between ME and YOU throughout your generations." Again in verse 17 He says it is a SIGN between ME and the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL for ever."
    This commandment was never given to the gentiles. It was never given to Christians to keep.

Notice verse 14. That is not a parable. If you defile the Sabbath (if you decide to keep it) you shall surely be put to death. If you do any work at all on it, you shall be cut off (stoned, put to death). This is no parable. Remember the man with the sticks. He was stoned. Take the Bible as it is. Don't try to allegorize it and just handpick verses for your own purposes.
    You say you are not a Seventh Day Adventist. You talk like one. You do not say what you are on your profile. For the benefit of the rest of us tell us what church you do attend, and who else believes this way.
    DHK

18. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi DHK - you wrote
    "If you are not keeping the law, you are not loving one another(according to the bible) !!"
    This is a warped interpretation of the Bible, and is not what Jesus or the Apostles taught. In fact they taught the exact opposite:
    Gal.3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them."

The book of GALATIANS

The book of Galatians is book containing 6 short chapters. In these 6 chapters circumcision is
    mentioned 16 times. The commandments are not mentioned at all. Yet, those people that wish to do away with GODS commandments use scriptures from Galatians to try and do so. Circumcision is one of the laws contained in ordinances.Those laws were nailed to the cross according to scripture.

COL.2 [14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

EPH.2 [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

They will also try and tell you that the law of ordinances are not separate from
    the commandments or the law so i have sent scripture below to prove that this to is not true.

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

19. GAPS119X20

GAPS119X20 New Member

Hi DHK-you also wrote
    In verse 13 the Lord speaks to none other than Israel. That is His audience--Israel. He says, Ye-- Israel shall keep my sabbaths. "It is a SIGN between ME and YOU throughout your generations." Again in verse 17 He says it is a SIGN between ME and the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL for ever."
    This commandment was never given to the gentiles. It was never given to Christians to keep.

Mark 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
    Mark 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Are you a man or woman DHK.If so GOD made the sabbath for you.Who is lord over your day of rest?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are you a man or woman DHK.If so GOD made the sabbath for you.Who is lord over your day of rest?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GAPS, I am a Baptist preacher. Christ is the Lord over my day of rest which happens to be on a Monday. The Sabbath is Saturday. That's the day that God "rested" from His works, and that is the Jewish Sabbath. Sunday is first day of the week. That is when Christians meet, honoring the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, as is evidenced by Acts 20:7. Most take that as their day of rest and worship. As a preacher that is one of my busiest days. The principle that the Lord is teaching is that man ought to have one day out of seven to have rest. I take mine on Monday. We live in an age of grace in this New Testament dispensation when we are no longer under the Law (Ten Commandments).

You said the Commandments were not mentioned in the Book of Galatians. Count the number of times "law" is mentioned. Much of the time the law is referring back to those Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments is the Law of Moses. That is what he brought down from Mount Sinai written on two tablet of stone, the Law.

You have not even touched the other points in my post. Deal with them. If your going to keep the Sabbath, keep all of the Sabbath, and all the rules and regulations pertaining to it. Study the Scriptures out and find out how you should do this. Are you going to convert to Judaism? Is your Sabbath on Saturday? Do you work on that day, heat your home, heat your food, cook, travel more than 5/8 of a mile, etc.? Watch your step! Are you really keeping the Sabbath? Or are you just one of those hypocrital pretenders as I suspect you are?
    DHK