1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Keep The Kids In

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Jul 31, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

EW&F,

I'm a bit confused about some things in your post. Please help me to understand:

1) How does a person become "evolved" that are "ill equipped with good teachers"? For the nearly 50 yrs. I've been in God's family, I've altered or changed my views about some things in the Bible, but to the best of my knowledge, I've never actually been "evolved" in any of the churches in which I've been a member. Please explain how you have been "evolved" in whatever churches you've served.

At first glance, it seems that either these churches or maybe you yourself, or both hold to some tenets of "evolution."

Hopefully you or the churches in which you serve(d) don't hold to some anti-creationist heresies, but if so it seems to me that the two of us are farther apart on issues that are more important than whether or not Children's Churches are scriptural.

2) "Churches that are ill equipped with "good teachers." If a teacher is a "good" one, why then is he/she classified as being "ill equipped"?

To me, either he/she is a "good teacher" or he/she is "Ill equipped."

As I see it, if a teacher is "good," he/she isn't "ill equipped"--and if he/she is "ill equipped," he/she isn't a "good" teacher.

Seems to me that you're reasoning from two self-contradicting standards.

To illustrate, if I had a car that's about to fall apart because I failed to properly maintain it for a long period of time, I'd be misrepresenting its condition were I to run an in the classified section and claimed it was in "good condition," wouldn't I?

Please explain why you consider an "ill equipped" teacher to be "a good teacher," or vice versa. Brother, you've really got me baffled on this! I'll be waiting to read how you can unscramble this seeming paradox to me.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Here's some other things to consider:

What if both the child's parents are unsaved?

There's been plenty of times in my years in the bus ministry where a child has ridden on my bus whose parents weren't saved. How does that child receive any explanation about what's been taught/preached if his parents don't have the HS dwelling in them? Add to that, neither of his/her parents were even present during the teaching/preaching time(s)!

Then there's the possibility that one or both the child's parents were raised under a "ministry" that teaches/preaches a "false gospel."

Is the child in a good position to get Bible-based explanations at home if he lives in a situation like that? Say, for example, he hears that a person can grow in the Lord if he/she gets good support/encouragement from resources that help him/her understand that help him/her learn from the Bible that you don't need to rely on what some man in clerical garb who preaches from a RCC publication tells you.

The child then goes home to his life-long RCC-believing father and asks him if the above is true. What kind of explanation do you think his/her father will give that child? That's happened several times to some children who rode on my bus--whose parents allowed them to attend the church that sponsored my bus so the parents wouldn't have to bother with their kids for 3-4 hours on Sunday morning.

I'm not making up these examples, Bro. EW&F, they actually have happened to some of the children who rode my bus over the nearly 20 years I served in the bus ministry.

I could supply you with other examples of children who come from homes where little or no parental help in explaining what was taught/preached on Sunday morning(s), but I think you can catch my drift.

I don't know how things operate in your church's situation. Maybe all your church families with small children have good, Godly parents. Thank God if that's the case in your church! :thumbs:

OTOH, even the best Bible-preaching/teaching churches in which I've served (& all of them were/are!) over the years still have some challenges when it comes to having families that have small children.

I'd love to read your advice in dealing with small children who live in the circumstance(s) I mentioned above. I'll even give them to my church's Youth & Family elder. He's always asking for good ways to help improve our church's ministry to our families....especially those with young children.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations, Bro. EW&F.

May God bless you, your family, and your church! May your services this coming Sunday be blessed by His Spirit's obvious presence, and may whoever teaches/preaches His Word do so with great power and wisdom. May revival start amongst your congregation, and may it spread all throughout the area in which you're located--and even beyond that area!

Your Brother in Christ,
    WPE3BQL

PS--What I posted to Bro. EW&F also applies to all those on BB who've just read this post!! :godisgood: :wavey:

#21 wpe3bql, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Blessedwife! It is always a pleasure reading your replies (even when we disagree :wavey:). I also understand what you are saying and you do bring out many points that I would wholeheartedly support. This is why I tend to prefer the family together in church service. A part of this is tradition, I have to admit (I remember having to sit through sermons that were above my head and now it's my turn to make my son do the same :smilewinkgrin:).

I think that we have to weigh the importance. Is it more important that the gospel/Word of God be communicated to the children or is it more important the the church remove itself from discipleship when it comes to children. Does the same apply to women - i.e., if the husband is the head of the family, should the wife rely on his understanding of the sermon if they disagree on its meaning (I could think of an example with whom we'd both identify....it makes me wonder)? If we are consistent, it seems so.

Another issue is the parent. From my experience (so this is my unsupported opinion based on personal observation) there is a severe lack of biblical literacy in our churches. But not only that, there is a severe lack of interest in God, theology, or Scripture. The church cannot merely expect the parent to teach their children. When the children come to church, the church should teach the children - otherwise you should just let them play and the parents can teach them at home if they want. At least the church can try to reach the kids....if we can resist merely teaching those silly songs by Larry.

Yes, children are smarter than we give them credit. My son is very involved in church, but he hates VBS and kids programs. We are SBC and have an unhealthy appreciation for Lifeway. For kids, they tend to be 2 years behind their actual level. Parents seem to love it.....it's stupid.

Yes, I agree completely about churches outsourcing the ministry. We have become a collection of programs. Some may be good, most are superficial, costly, and not relevant compared to simply using and teaching from the Bible. Not only do we outsource everything, but we want to hire professionals to run the show. Some churches want attendees (who, of course, pay their dues to keep the lights on) but never active members. Some have a staff that is apart from the congregation. You are absolutely right here. Instead of being churches that do business we are becoming businesses that try to do church.

The problem ultimately (and of course, IMHO) is not with parents who will explain the sermon to children but with parents that will not - or cannot. It is not the role of the church to parent the child, but it is its duty to communicate in a meaningful way the Word of God and to disciple (regardless of the parent....sometimes despite the parent). I am, however, grateful that my church encourages families to worship together. We do have children's programs, but this is when we have study groups. A child cannot go to Sunday School twice and miss service. But I do understand and appreciate those who have "Children's Church." We are responsible for reaching these little ones the best that we know how within biblical bounds. I find neither approach unbiblical and I see benefits to both.

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aw thank you. I enjoy reading your post as well. You are a very patent man, more patent then I am much if the time :) you do have well thought out post and I do appreciate even though I have more of a drive by posting style. It comes from my more matter of a fact communication style especially in written form.

The issue of husband and wives was something my husband and I talked a lot about before getting married because we knew there were a couple of areas where we differed. But we both had decided that they were not deal breakers. My husband still talks about how excited he was when he found out I am reformed since that was a deal breaker for him and he wanted to find out as soon as he could. But where we have come down to is that discussion is fine between us as we are both adults with brains but that he would always have the final say in church we attend and that his views is what would be taught to our children. I think as a women this is just me respecting his role and responsibilities and understanding my role in relation to his. I can't expect a man to be the spiritual leader if I'm going to fight him or buck him at every turn.

Aw silly songs with Larry was such a staple of my childhood ;)
    Although here is something to think about because I agree there is a bunch of Biblical ignorant Christian out there. It's one of my pet peeves, especially when I was in Bible college and people at church were treating me with contempt for going to Bible college. But I think that Children's church that is dumbed down is part of the problem. We now have an entire generation that grew up being entertained by church instead of learning the big doctrines. Let's face it Children's church easily morphes into youth church which morphs into college ministey. And we have all seen the stats on the retention rate of kids past college.

Kinda lends itself to my point that Children's church is not helping the Biblical ignorancy problem we have in churches.

Sad but true

At the risk of sounding like I'm arguing from a pragmatic point of view, I think churches put a lot of emphasis into Children's ministry because its a low hanging fruit. Especially in poor areas free babysitting for 3 hours on Sunday is not going to be turned down very often. But imagine if we did the harder work of going after the Fathers instead of the Children? Yes it's going to be a lot more work and a completely new frame of mind but I think k the rewards would worth it. If you go after children you may occasionally get the mother, but you go after the father you'll get the whole family. Just some food for thought there.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where to begin....you have been all over the boards here. An ill prepared teacher is one that's not well prepared by the church but has been selected for the job because of willingness....or he gives money....or his ego is such that heknows more than others etc.

After experiencing this a few times it was my son who refused to go......he even perseived the inadequacies. My whole point is that it is the job of the entire church to raise up the child....but it is the responsibility of the parents to make sure this happens. Therefore I put little value on 'Children's Church ' to provide spiritual instruction.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO......YOU JUST NAILED IT SISTER:thumbs::laugh:

6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

EW&F,

Please explain how a person "perseives" a teacher's "inadequacies." I've never heard of how a person "perseives" anything. Is this an ability a person gets from your church after sitting under its preaching/teaching for a few years?

Also, I've noticed that you've chosen not to address the issues I sincerely presented to you of a child not having saved parents, or having parents who grew up under heretical backgrounds and thus aren't able to give their child real Bible-centered explanations of what the child heard at the church his parents allow him to attend.

Is it that you're merely evading my questions that I sincerely asked you, or is there some other set of reasons you have for not addressing my sincerely-asked questions?

Why don't you respond with some solid Bible-based advice for dealing with these all-too-present circumstances that occur in even some of the best Bible teaching/preaching churches these days?

Surely you do have some Scriptually-based advice to offer for these circumstances that are all-too-present in even the best Bible teaching/preaching churches today, don't you?

Seems to me that I'm not the only person who's "all over the boards" on some very important matters that need to be addressed if the churches in which we serve can be prepared to help our parents of young children "train up a child in the way he should go."

With all sincerity, I again ask you to advise me on how a church can best be prepared to help a young child whose parents either aren't saved or, because of their heresy-filled upbringing, are incapable of giving their young child Bible-based explanations of what he heard either in SS or during the pastor's sermon through which the young child had to sit.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In truth, I still like them.

I agree if the ministry is dumbed down. We seem to have a better children's program than we do adult ministry (sometimes I can't really see much growth in the material being taught between fifth grade and adulthood).

I wrestle with the idea that churches seek children to be baptized without truly being saved and the idea that we are to encourage them towards Christ. I think that this is a difficult topic - on one hand we shouldn't denounce another's salvation (if it is genuine) and on the other we need to be careful to discern and help - especially children - understand and discern salvation. We can't add to the gospel message, and one can truly be saved with the faith of a child (and I believe, the understanding of a child when drawn by God). I was saved at a young age and wrestled with these ideas in my own life. But looking at the long term results of many children's programs, I do see the strong possibility of false conversions.

I also agree with going after the fathers (when they are around and can influence the family) in order to reach a family. Too often, however, the family structure does not facilitate such a focus.

Our children's program does not take place of the church service. It is a sunday school program, and families worship together in service (and children sit through the sermon). I like this balance (Sunday school allows people to sit under a teacher who can teach the Word to their understanding), but we attend service a a family.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [
    yea, what kind of question is that....you trying to start a fight?

1st, then why are the children there

yea well I find much of your questioning too time consuming ....not when im trying to do things 1st thing in the morning.

No time.
    Yup
    go to the parents & speak directly with them.....that's your real task. are you up to it? BTW, what good is it to school a kid who has no parental guidance & reinforcement?

#28 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many posts have stated that the parents should explain to the children what the pastor has said.

But how about kids who attend church without their parents? Who is to instruct them?

10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I'm with you on Sunday School being segregated by age but then having everyone together for the preaching of God's word.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are they there in the first place....who is bringing them?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When we have Sunday School or children's church, we are not shortchanging the job of the fathers at all. Actually, we teach the kids at their level, allow the parents to be taught at their level, give them materials to work over as a family and expect that the families are doing their own work at home as well. Not all are but we've seen many of the kids work through weekly devotions on their own with the materials we provide for them.

It is interesting to address the issue of parents dropping off kids. Yes, I agree that they are "low hanging fruit" and we are to teach them the Gospel and pray for them. Yesterday we had over 700 people at our VBS fair and it was amazing how many families are there who were once dropped off Sunday School kids. These are now families who are first generation Christians, who grew up with Sunday school, maybe went through youth group, went away to college, and at some point had families and are now plugged into the church. It is neat to hear the stories of "My mom brought me to VBS and that was my only exposure to church. I came back here as an adult because I knew this is where I heard about God and I wanted to get back to God." If having a Sunday School class or VBS for dropped off kids will facilitate faith in the future, we've done a good thing. :)

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does it matter? They are there without parents.

But to answer your question - - they come with their friends who are church members, or parents who think their kids need some church education but they themselves don't want to go, or they come via the bus ministry (aging myself here ...)

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK....then who is reinforcing their education?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I trust Children's church

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I do not.

#36 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, EWF - do you have an answer?

18. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Visit my (WPE3BQL's) for some examples of "who is bringing them?"

There are probably other posts that can provide additional answers as to "who is bringing them?" I'll let these other posts that deal with your question speak for themselves.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TheScouts or maybe VBS.....oh i got it, BoysTown...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do that!