1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KEEPING G THE LAW -is not an OPTION!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Apr 30, 2006.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now, *that* was sweet... :D

I get the feeling we are communicating better than you are letting on?

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

You dont have to keep those laws anymore, just the ten commandments.

Claudia
    </font>[/QUOTE]On this I will say, On what authority? James says:
    I don't find anything here about elevating the "Big Ten" over the rest of it. As I have previously posted, "The Law", a NT synonym in every instance, for the whole 'Mosaic code', is an undivisible, unified whole. This would seem to be consistent with Jesus words in Matt. 5:17- 20, where He says,
    Did you get that? "One of the least of these Commandments"? Nothing about chopping them up and excising the "Big Ten" from the rest, dropping the remaining 600 or so, that I see.

You can't have it both ways, for Jesus never said it both ways, nor did He 'command', or even suggest both ways, that I see.

As to the Law, I'm a Gentile, not a Jew. As one apart from it, I never had it in the first place. I couldn't "keep it", if I would; as a Christian, 'not under the Law but under grace', I wouldn't "keep it", if I could.

The only thing at the end of the Law was death, for failure. To follow up on the allegory of Galatians 4, for what possible reason would I want to dwell out in the desert with Hagar, as opposed to living in the tents with Sarah? Why would I want to be left out to die, as Ishmael, instead of inheriting all, as Isaac? As my own nephew is wont to say,

"Ah 'on't get it!!"

Nor do I!

In His grace,
    Ed
    </font>[/QUOTE]OKAY ED, I can see that Im-a-gonna have to Edu-macate you on this!

Compare below Moses' Law vs.
    God's Ten Commandment Law

MANY people often confuse Moses Law with God's 10 Commandment law, but they are very different.
    Moses' law was the temporary, ceremonial law of the Old Testament. It regulated the priesthood, sacrifices, rituals, meat and drink offerings, etc., all of which foreshadowed the cross. This law was added "till the seed should come," and that seed was Christ (Galatians 3:16, 19). The ritual and ceremony of Moses' law pointed forward to Christ's sacrifice. When He died, this law came to an end, but the Ten Commandments (God's law) "stand fast for ever and ever." Psalm 111:7,8. That there are two laws is made crystal clear in the following verses. Verse 10 is talking about God's law and verse 11 is talking about Moses' law:

"Neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets."
    "Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him." Daniel 9:10,11

Special Note: Please note that God's law has existed at least as long as sin has existed. The Bible says, "Where no law is, there is no transgression [or sin]." Romans 4:15. So God's Ten Commandment law existed from the beginning. Men broke that law. "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4 Because of sin (or breaking God's law), Moses' law was given (or "added" Galatians 3:16, 19) till Christ should come and die. Two separate laws involved: God's law and Moses' law.

Moses Law

Called "the law of Moses"
    LUKE 2:22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord.

10 Commandments

Called "the Law of the Lord"
    ISA. 5:24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Moses Law
    Called "Law contained in ordinances"

EPH. 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace.

10 Commandments
    Called "the Royal law"

JAMES 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

Moses Law
    Written by Moses in a book

2 CHRON. 35:12 And they removed the burnt offerings, that they might give according to the divisions of the families of the people, to offer unto the LORD, as it is written in the book of Moses. And so did they with the oxen.

10 Commandments
    Written by God on stone

EXO. 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.
    EXO. 32:16 And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables.

Moses Law
    Placed in the side of the ark

DEUT. 31:26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

10 Commandments
    Placed inside the ark

EXO. 40:20 And he took and put the testimony into the ark, and set the staves on the ark, and put the mercy seat above upon the ark:

Moses Law
    Ended at the cross

EPH. 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace.

10 Commandments
    Will stand forever

LUKE 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Moses Law
    Added because of sin

GAL. 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

10 Commandments
    Points out sin

ROM. 7:7 What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
    ROM. 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Moses Law
    Contrary to us, against us

COL. 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

10 Commandments
    Not grevious

1 JOHN 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Moses Law
    Judges no man

COL. 2:14-16 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

10 Commandments
    Judges all men

JAM. 2:10-12 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Moses Law
    Carnal

HEB. 7:16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

10 Commandments
    Spiritual

ROM. 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Moses Law
    Made nothing perfect

HEB. 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

10 Commandments
    Perfect

PSALMS 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

3. wopik

wopik New Member

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven" (verse 19).

Now, these would be strange words indeed if Jesus intended to nail the Ten Commandments to the cross, to abolish the Ten Commandments, to repeal the law.

http://www.borntowin.net/essays.aspx?eid=42

-

http://www.rondart.com/Christian%20Holidays.htm - Christian Holidays

-

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no such distinction of the 10 Commandments from the rest of the Law of Moses. The 10 Commandments are even addresses specifically to "ISRAEL".
    What is separate from the Law of Moses and maintained in the NT are the Seven universal laws of Noah.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Wonder why Christ used the 10, Paul used the 10 in several of his writings. Anyway if we are born again we become a Jew inwardly.

6. Mel30

Mel30 New Member

A snake in the grass!
    Dr. Sammuel got a golden medal from the pope of Rome for proving how the Roman Church combined paganism with Christianity which was prophesied by Daniel 7:25, that this change of the sabbath would happen.
    Discover the truth how the Roman Church change the sabbath to please the pagans from a student from Vatican city, a native from Rome,
    He is the first and the last non-Catholic student who have studied at the Vatican University in Rome in Vatican city..
    www.adventist.or.kr/ib/ct/view.html?no=104
    adventist.or.kr/satellite
    3abn.org in English
    Come out of Babylon! A mixture of truth and baptized paganism!
    God is NOT willing that any should perish,but that all should come to REPENTANCE!
    www.prophecycode.org, www.adventist.or.kr/satellite/, www.vop.or.kr, www.amazingfacts.org, www.3abn.org
    Catholic SAYS :
    “It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.” Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ ‘News’ on March 18, 1903. See This Rock
    THE BAPTIST SAYS :
    Nowhere in the Scriptures is any mention made of transferring the Sabbath's sanctity to another day. Nowhere does the gospel of Christ nullify any portion of God's law, though the gates of hell have raged against it. It was only by hiding the change within a mass of pagan ritual and "baptizing" the whole lot, that Satan succeeded in causing the entire Christian world to break God's holy law while thinking to honor Him. Dr. Edward T. Hiscox, author of "The Baptist Manual,"
    Presbyterian says:
    "The Christian Sabbath (Sunday) is not in the Scriptures, and was not by the primitive church called the Sabbath." Dwight's Theology, Vol. 14, p. 401.
    "A further argument for the perpetuity of the Sabbath we have in Matthew 24:20, Pray ye that your flight be not in the winter neither on the Sabbath day. But the final destruction of Jerusalem was after the Christian dispensation was fully set up (AD 70). Yet it is plainly implied in these words of the Lord that even then Christians were bound to strict observation of the Sabbath." Works of Jonathon Edwards, (Presby.) Vol. 4, p. 621.
    REPENT! REPENT! God is NOT willing that any should perish,but that all should come to REPENTANCE! BECAUSE OUR GOD shall come and
    depose, burn up, purify, this world of sin and sinners! THE BIBLE SAYS: Everyone is going to acknowledge Jesus as Lord! 'As surely as I
    live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God. [ Rom. 14:11 Isaiah 45:23] Phil.2:10.The bible says, when
    JESUS RETURN, MANY are going to acknowledge Jesus as Lord , But it will be too LATE, because the door of probation will be closed.

Post was way too lengthly!

[ May 07, 2006, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Dan Todd ]

7. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

There are two verses that cover that truth.

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
    A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." Gal. 5:4,9

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't know anyone on here that is saying you are justified by the Law or saved by the Law. We are only saying what Jesus said, I give unto you a New Commandment and on the two hang all the Law and the prophets. Oh well, it has been said so many time I don't feel like typing it again. I will ask one question; (Which Commandment of the Ten can you break without forgiveness and go to Heaven?)

9. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

The ten commandments were written to Israel

They were Gods people at the time.

Now, we are Gods people.

So we still are held accountable.

I still see no answer to my question. If I slip up and kill someone once in awhile, is it covered by the blood of Jesus, so God doesn't see it?? God doesn't see it?

Don't worry, if you can't think of an answer, I'll understand.

Peace,

Tam

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You got anyone particular in mind Tam or anyone will do? [​IMG]

11. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

No, everyone is safe Bob! Purely hypothetical, I promise!! [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

Peace,

Tam

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's "pretend" like there is actually something to this logic.

Now lets read these NT statements to SEE if the NT Bible authors see Christians as free to rebel against God or UNDER OBLIGATION to obey.

Let the reader be objective and honest.

John speaks about Keeping God’s commandments before the Cross, After the Cross and in the Rev 12, 16 end time period after the resurrection.

Here John says the commandments of God “kept” by the saints by contrast to the rebellion described about those who war against the saints and persecute them.

But “some” might argue that these saints “are special” and don’t actually live under the ONE Gopsel of Gal 6. As far fetched as that idea is – lets pursue some “proofs” showing that such wild speculation can not possibly be true.

Here John shows us that the saints of God commanded to “keep” the Pre-Cross Commandments of God.

And here John shows us that the saints are still to keep the commandments of God AFTER the resurrection of Christ!

Is it any surprise that Paul is in full agreement with John on this post-cross requirement to ”keep the commandments of God”?

So as you "read the wording" in the scriptures above - do you come away with the JackRUS verbage "anyway"???

This just isn't that hard.

IF we go down the JackRUS road then EVEN the Deut 6:5 command to "Love God with all your heart" is unnacceptable for Christians!!

Christ's OWN Words "IF you LOVE Me KEEP My commandments" must be tossed out of scripture using the JackRUS rule!!

Come on people - this just isn't that hard.

In Christ,

Bob

13. wopik

wopik New Member

There is a confusion of the role of the law in the life of a Christian. The law is the revelation of right and wrong behavior. Breaking the law causes harm. Keeping the law is the minimum standard of acceptable conduct, not the definition of righteousness in God's sight.

Jesus explained this in a short parable in Luke 17:7-10.
    The keeping of the law perfectly gains you no points with God. The law cannot lift you to excellence. It can only tell you what you have done wrong.

http://www.rondart.com/Galatians/gal2.htm

-

14. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

O.K. let me lighten it up a bit. If I slip up every once in a while and tell a big whopper(bear false witness) will God see it?

Or is it covered with the blood and it don't matter??

Peace,

Tam

15. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Tam,

Of course God will see it.

If you are a born again child of the living God, and you start telling whoppers, then you become a born again child of the living God who is now telling whoppers.

In Ephesians 4:25-5:4 Gods people were sometimes doing these things...

Lying(4:25)

Being filled with anger(4:26)

Stealing(4:28)

Using corrupt language(4:29)

Grieving the Spirit(4:30)

Commiting fornication(5:3)

Being covetous(5:3)

Engaging in filthy and foolish talking and course jesting(5:4)

But God, through Paul, adresses all of these people as Saints, and says they shouldnt be lying because they are "members of one another", they shouldnt be engaging in corrupt communication because as christians their language should be "imparting grace to the hearers", they should'nt be grieving the Holy Spirit in these ways because they have been "sealed for the day of redemption", and instead of being wrathful towards one another they should be kind and forgiving towards one another because "God in Christ forgave you". And they shouldnt be commiting sexual sin because it isnt "fitting for saints"

He goes on to say that...

I dont know God can make it any clearer. The reason we shouldnt sin is because we are saints, and sin is contrary to who we are.

God bless,

Mike

16. gekko

gekko New Member

"The ten commandments were written to Israel

They were Gods people at the time.

Now, we are Gods people."

i would agree with that in a sense...
    but looks to me like you are insinuating that Israel is no longer God's people and that they have no use anymore...

am i mistaken?

17. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I dont know God can make it any clearer. The reason we shouldnt sin is because we are saints, and sin is contrary to who we are.

</font>[/QUOTE]Mike,

Who we are?

Who are we, really? Or who are we supposed to be?

The entire purpose of being a Christ-ian is that we are supposed to be representatives of Christ and of the Father to the world.

Just as the whole purpose Jesus Christ came to earth was to "show us the Father"...

Look at the old testament about this and the purpose for which God's people were even there. They were supposed to be keeping the Law of God to make the the heathen in the surrounding nations realize God's ways were the right ways that would bring happiness and peace and prosperity to them:

Deuteronomy 4:
    5: Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
    6: Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

Then now look at the same thing in the new testament:

Mt:5:16: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Remember that we the church are supposed to be a "City on the Hill"

Matthew 5:
    13: Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
    14: Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
    15: Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

THAT is who we are, or who we are SUPPOSED to be.

I think that the lack of realization of this fact is what leads people to have this idea that keeping the Law doesnt really matter, and they see it more like "ok what do I have to do to be saved? what is the minimum requirement?"

Or else they think they should do the law out of love for God but that it is some sort of an "option" as to whether or not they really have to.

It keeping the Law then an OPTION??

Can we pray "Thy Kingdom come, THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH as it is in heaven" yet continue to live as if God and reflecting His character and His love and His ways (meaning the commandments) to the world doesnt matter or is an option?

Its all about HIM, not us!

Can we not care about that? and then expect to be in heaven???

When the Bible says Jesus will say to some, "Depart from Me, I never knew you, you that work lawlessness"...

Doesnt it seem to you thats why He says He never KNeW them? In the Bible to KNOW someone is to be intimately aquainted with them like in a MARRIAGE.

If you take on the very name of Christ-ian, you are then MARRIED to God, and are supposed to be AT ONE with Him in a relationship. You are supposed to live for one purpose, together. In this case to give glory to God and to reflect His ways to everyone on the earth around you.

Now look again, how can we evn CLAIM to know God if we dont keep His commandments? and if we dont know God we cannot expect to be saved:

1Jn:2:3: And hereby we do know that we KNOW him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jn:2:4: He that saith, I KNOW him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn:3:6: Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

WHO will be unashamed at His coming?

1Jn:2:28: And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Not saying we wont continually come short and fall and fail.. we will. But our heart is supposed to be in the right place and I believe it MATTERS as far as our salvation goes. We cant not care about God's interests and still be saved.

Claudia

[ May 08, 2006, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Anyway it is ONLY those who ABIDE IN HIM, and stop their sinning (breaking the Law) that are going to be unashamed at His coming.

1Jn:3:6: Whosoever ABIDETH in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither KNOWN him.

1Jn:2:28: And now, little children, ABIDE in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Everyone else is going to be praying for the rocks to fall on them and hide them from the face of the Lamb. Because they dont KNOW GOD and they dont have the same aims and purposes as God... as did Jesus when His "meat and drink" was to do the will of His Father and to "show us the Father".

Rv:6:16: And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb
    17: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Come to think of it, by the way, it is BECAUSE the foolish virgins in the wise and foolish virgins parable... are NOT giving off any light to the world with their lamps that are SUPPOSED to be lighting the way for the marriage supper... that Jesus shuts the door in their face and says "depart from Me I never knew you".

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Claudia,

We are Gods people. Children of the living God. We have Christ Himself living through us.

What I just said.

We are who we are. Children of the living God. That is not what we are "supposed" to be. Its who was ARE

We dont get to *maybe* be one of those, if we are really...really...*good*. We ARE one of those...because of Christs work on our behalf, and the Holy Spirits work when He "sealed us for the day of redemption"....

"For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith. And that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest anyone should boast"

Because of our relationship with Christ, we are "seated in the heavenlies" with Christ, who has imputed to us His perfect rightiousness, so that we are secure...

"He who knew no sin, became sin, so that we might become the rightiousness of God in Him"

I agree completly. And thats why God gave those encouragements to us those passages of scripture in Ephesians that I quoted. Those brothers and sisters were living horribly, and God encouraged them do live in a manner that is appropriate for who they already are are...dearly loved and secure children of God.

And that is precisely what God is encouraging those believers to do in those passages in Ephesians.

But he does not tell them that they have become lost again and they need to "get really reaally good" again so they can be His children again. He tells them they need to "put off the old" and "put on the new" because they ALREADY ARE His children, and they need to start acting like it.

Cant you see that?

Theres not much to it other than simply reading the words he wrote. God was really plain about it...

"For you once were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of the Light."

Now...even as they were doing all of those inappropriate things, the are light in the Lord.

So start walking like it.

God bless,

Mike