1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keesler AFB, Boloxi

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Squire Robertsson, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answering a post I made on another thread, Keesler did take a direct hit. However, the latest news says the Base has one runway open for daytime operations. Aircraft located at KAFB were evacuated to Little Rock AFB on Saturday.
    Military Bases Assess Damage; Keesler AFB Hardest Hit is a 31 Aug article from American Forces Press Service.

2. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Gulfport, MS *had* a Navy base there too. It is gone. The Armed Forces Retirement Home is still standing, that is also in Gulfport, however it is under seige also from looters and shooters.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I hope the Gulfport base isn't gone. My cousin's son is due to report back there next week. He was on leave when this hit.

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Navy is operating like the AF, they've issued stop movement orders. Best thing for him is to check in with a local Navy representative and see where the Navy wants him.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The latest on Keesler:

Air Force provides support to hurricane relief effort
    by Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez, Air Force Print News 2005-09-01
    From the looks of it Keesler is semi-operational. This is good news as it gives the Response Forces a solid foot hold in the center of the disaster area.

6. emeraldctyangel

They sure have. CNO delivered that order about two days ago - all stop for those going to the gulf coast region. If you are in transit, report to the nearest Navy base and they can help you.

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The latest from the BBC:

U.S. Northern Command Moves in to Support Hurricane Victims

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

WHEW! Thank God for our Boys (& Gals)! They are carrying such a heavy load right now.

We need to keep them in our prayers.

9. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

You are correct Squire. The Navy has issued a stop movement order for all personnel tranferring into the entire Gulf Coast region. Sailors are instructed to contact their detailers for more information and for where to report.

10. emeraldctyangel

Good lord no, bad idea contacting the detailers! They are tasked with helping the victims as they are in close proximity of Gulfport. Contact ANY military base or recruiter and they can help.

11. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I am in shock!! Do you know if the authorities have control of the situation?

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Brother Ian

The CNO message specifically directed contacting the person's detailer. A recruiter does not have access to anyone in the Bureau of Naval Personnel that can change a transferee's orders. Likewise, a military base does not have the authority to modify a sailor's orders.

Again, if you are in the Navy and are in transit to the Gulf area, stop where you are and contact your detailer.

14. emeraldctyangel

:rolleyes: The CNO already modified your orders genius. "MEMBERS WHO HAVE DETACHED FROM THEIR COMMAND (SEA OR SHORE) WHO HAVE DEPARTED THE AREA OF THEIR PERMANENT DUTY STATION (PDS)/HOME PORT (I.E. HAVE COMMENCED TRAVEL TO THE HURRICANE DAMAGED REGION) SHOULD REPORT TO THE NEAREST NAVAL INSTALLATION AND CONTACT THEIR DETAILER FOR FURTHER DIRECTION."

Contacting your detailer from Aunt Sally's home isnt going to help. Members need safe haven.

Highly doubt all you want, but the Navy base in Gulfport is where 85 members of my command were sent prior to the hurricane to prepare for the next turn in Cuba. It does not fall under the AF AOR (what are you even talking about in conus lol). The base is in pieces at this point. The really sad part is that it is a Construction Batallion base, and if they can unearth any undamaged equipment, then they can get out there and do a lot of good. Let's pray for that to be the case.

The Navy also asked for a complete muster of family members of Navy personnel in the affected areas. If you are a military family member and have not checked in with the Navy yet, it is requested with great relief that you do so. A lot of us Sailors out here would be breathing easier for sure.

Many prayers for all of you and help is on the way.

15. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The government wants families of displaced service men to contact them so the military can assist them. Some companies are also looking for employees from the area so they can pay them.

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3784143

16. emeraldctyangel

Great news! Power was restored to most of the Base, and they broke the commissary open and started handing out canned goods to the local residents. Now if I can pray for some dewatering equipment, some bulldozers, generators, and a medical tent or two, we can be in business!

What an awesome God we have.

17. Brother Ian

Unfortunately, most military members in transit didn't get a copy of the CNO's message. Aunt Salley's home sounds like a good place to hang until directed elsewhere.

Additionally, I don't really see where sarcastically calling me a genius will help the situation.

By the way, my brother and sister-in-law live just outside of New Orleans and have been displaced. She is working around the clock at the hospital in Slidell and he has been deployed to patrol New Orleans.

Emeraldctyangel, are you still in Hawaii?

18. emeraldctyangel

Um yeah, that is why it was flashed all over the place. There is special funding for those in transit, to the tune of 'if you check in safe haven, then you they can cut you a check to help you with displacement costs and figure out where to go from there'. How youre going to get that at Aunt Sally's house, I have no idea, so if you wish to go that route, good luck.

As a service member, I expected you to know that those in transit would know to immediately contact someone to get the word back to NPC that they are okay.

My prayers for your family Ian. And yes, we are sitting out here on the lip of four deployments holding our breath about the gulf coast area situation and the thousands of shipmates, family and friends that we have yet to hear from. It is frustrating that they were able to move 300-600 personnel out of Iraq (still waiting on confirmation on that one) to go help in the relief efforts, yet we cant do anything but collect data and do a fund raiser to benefit the Red Cross.

19. Brother Ian

My real concern was not for the old timers. I would know who to contact if I were in transit, but I was more concerned for that E-4 or 5 who might be in his first transfer that doesn't really know what to do. Now that I think about it, there are probably a lot of E-1s and 2s going there. From the junior people I see here, they have to be told to do everything. I don't assume anything about these new kids in the Navy.

I am going to Slidell on Tuesday to see what I can do for my in-laws.

I understand your frustration being so far away and feeling helpless. I'm about 9 hours away and feel helpless. That's why I decided to go.

Raising funds for the Red Cross is doing something, and its something important.

Can you tell me where you are stationed? I've just had two friends transfer to Pearl. Just spoke to one of them today.