1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kerry Slams Our Troops Again

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Letter to Michelle Malkin:

Michelle,

I can't tell you how much this kind of thing ticks me off. So I just relate my daughter's story, because I know she wouldn't.

My daughter was in college a couple years ago. She was on the dean's list and doing very well when the call came for duty in Iraq. She went and did her year as any good soldier would. She returned to school where she is majoring in work with autism. And that's not just a goal, she already works in homes with the kids and families who suffer from this disease. She could be anything she wants to be, but chooses to be a soldier as well. And as soon as she was able, she also reinlisted for another six years.

She's not in the Army because she can't do anything else, she's in the Army to defend the great freedoms we enjoy. She is the cream of this generation, as I believe all our military members are! To the Kerrys and others losers of this world, start giving credit where it's due.

Rich Dahlen
    Proud Vietnam Vet
    New Era, MI

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/31/204-10312006.html

American Legion to Sen. Kerry: Apologize Now
    Oct 31 8:49 AM US/Eastern

To: National Desk

Contact: Ramona Joyce, 202-263-2982 or 202-445-1161 (cell), Joe March, 317-630-1253 or 317-748-1926 (cell), both of the American Legion

INDIANAPOLIS, Oct. 31 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The National Commander of The American Legion called on Sen. John Kerry to apologize for suggesting that American troops in Iraq are uneducated.

"As a constituent of Senator Kerry's I am disappointed. As leader of The American Legion, I am outraged," said National Commander Paul A. Morin. "A generation ago, Sen. Kerry slandered his comrades in Vietnam by saying that they were rapists and murderers. It wasn't true then and his warped view of today's heroes isn't true now."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/31/153-10312006.html

AMVETS Calls on Senator to Apologize to Troops
    Oct 31 10:54 AM US/Eastern

To: City Desk,

Contact: Joseph Chenelly of AMVETS, 301-683-4035, or [email protected]

LANHAM, Md., Oct. 31 /U.S. Newswire/ -- AMVETS' National Commander expressed disbelief and disappointment in the comments by Senator John Kerry Monday.

“For the Senator to suggest that today’s United States military is made up of uneducated men and women who didn’t ‘study hard’ or ‘make an effort to be smart’ is ridiculous and appalling,” AMVETS National Commander Thomas C. McGriff said Tuesday. “The men and women in uniform today make up the most advanced, highly-educated force ever seen. To suggest otherwise is a slap in the face to every soldier, sailor, airman, Marine and Coast Guardsman who has spent countless hours working to better him or herself. This is also an insult to every person and organization who has worked tirelessly to provide our troops and their families with education benefits.

“Senator Kerry should retract his remarks and apologize immediately,” McGriff said after listening to comments made by Senator Kerry at a political rally in Pasadena, Calif., Monday. “It is especially outrageous coming from a member of the U.S. Senate.”

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Digging his hole ever deeper.

http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=165064

Vets, pols stick it to Kerry: Iraq remarks draw ire

By Joe Dwinell
    Community Newspaper Company Managing Editor
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - Updated: 04:26 PM EST

Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry’s “botched joke” about students needing to study hard or risk becoming “stuck in Iraq” has ignited a political firestorm over the war exactly a week from the election.
    Kerry under fire:
    Kerry lashed out at the White House at a press conference in Seattle this afternoon for attacking him for his comments. The White House, however, called on Kerry to apologize for troop-bashing.
    A defiant Kerry refused.
    “Let me make it crystal clear, as crystal clear as I know how,” Kerry said. “I apologize to no one for my criticism of the President and his broken policy. If anyone owes our troops in the fields an apology, it is the president and his failed team.”

4. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

The story continues on Kerry's remarks from yesterday. Kerry claims his remarks were taken out of context. Was he or wasn't he? I don't know how he truely feels about our troops and I don't think anyone can say one way or the other but I did think that their was more to the story than what was originaly reported.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/us/31kerry-transcript.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

:sleeping_2:

Politics as usual.. John Kerry was trying to zing Bush, and slipped, and now Bush is beating Kerry up over it. I am sure if we look back, Bush tried to zing Kerry and slipped, and Kerry beat Bush up over it...

Much to do about nothing...

I'm with Ken, both parties suck. Anyone voting for a 3rd party this year?

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

[quoite]Is he really trying to imply that it takes a lot of smarts to work the regulations to get pulled out of a war zone . . . and a lot of stupidity to stay in a war zone?[/quote]

I don't think so. Kerry doesn't approve of George W. Bush.

Of course, George W. Bush never worked the regulations to get out of a war zone. He signed a paper asking to ( please ), never be sent to the war zone. No one ever accused Dubya of wanting to go to war. By that I mean he didn't want to go personally. He's fine with other people going to war.

Just to be sure he didn't have to go, he went AWOL, got busted and grounded, and then just stopped showing up.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

intentional or not, slip or not, joke or not, I think Kerry should apologize and get off his high horse. We all say stupid things. If I think I've hurt someone, I want to make amends. Thank goodness most of my comments aren't televised for the whole world to see.

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Amazing! John Kerry makes a statement and the entire Democratic Party is to blame. However, when U.S. Republican Mark Foley is caught attempting to lure underage boys, he's just one individual and not representative of the whole Republican Party.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Everyone, as individuals, should be held responsible for his/her actions.

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

http://dadmanly.blogspot.com/2006/10/kerry-body-parts.html

A soldier's view of Kerry's misspeech. And the BBC link on the above is interesting coverage, too.

It would be so grand if all politicians would be willing to apologize. It would be grand of each of us would begin this process ourselves and apologize for misunderstandings. To ask for clarification ourselves. To take longer to take offense. To offer understanding, and to look for understanding.

To know our neighbors.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He didn't address the misspeech but pretended that that was what Kerry intended. It's so much more fun that way!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on Kerry's remarks when he returned from his few months in Vietnam I think that we have to entertain the idea that his remarks yesterday may have been a Freudian slip.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bitsy

You have been on a roll lately with really good posts.

Who's the new speech writer?

;)

:wayne_ducking:

:saint:

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I wonder if anyone has actually determined the educational level of the troops today. During Vietnam, there was the interesting situation where in many units, the grunts were better educated than the NCOs.

The fact that the Army is now waiving the requirement for a High School diploma suggests that it's not that way anymore.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So, how does a "ground reconnaissance unit, no tracks" get an education?

:laugh:

Dallas school district is waiving language requirements . . . What's next?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a link but generally what I have heard is that the volunteer military is higher than the drafted military - certainly based on the training that members receive today compared to the Vietnam War era.

17. Walguy

Walguy Member

What Kerry said:
    What Kerry nows says he was supposed to say:
    Look at the phrasing of the second statement, which he claims he meant to say. It's a grammatical monstrosity. The correct way to say that would be: "Do you know what a person can end up doing if he doesn't study, if he isn't smart, if he is intellectually lazy? He can end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq." There would be no repeated use of the word 'you' in such a statement. The repeated use of 'you' in the alleged PREPARED statement indicates the same as the actual remarks: that the statements are referring to the members of the audience, not pointing to a third party.

The only logical conclusion is that the second statement was composed AFTER the fact trying to use the basic patterns of the actual remarks, but twisted around to mean something else. There is a lot of difference between the two statements as they are. He must have realized that if he took out all the 'you's' as well it would be hard for even his supporters to believe that he said one meaning to say the other.

Any reasonable person should be able to see that Kerry has been a public figure far too long to go in front of an audience with prepared remarks as semi-literate as what he now claims he meant to say. It's his attempt to try to defuse the situation through falsehood without being too obvious about the lie.

Finally, if the remarks he made were at odds with his personal history, one could perhaps give him the benefit of the doubt. However, the idea that anyone who would choose to go into the military must either be an idiot or someone with no other career option (the direct implication of his actual statement) is completely consistent with his earlier lies and slander about our brave service men and women. He has obviously held the military in low regard for a long time, so it can't be surprising that he would say something demeaning about them now.

I think he probably was working with notes without a precise sentence in mind, and didn't mean to be as blunt as he ended up being. He just found himself saying what he really believes. That's the most logical conclusion based on all the evidence.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

If that was really what he meant to say. . . then was Kerry saying that if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up President of the United States?

19. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Bush made that joke, about being a C-student, some time ago.

It's not a monstrosity in speaking, which is looser than in writing, just casual. Talking of a theoretical "he" doesn't do as well as "you" to make a point.

Kerry didn't slam the troops back in the 70s, he slammed the administration as now. Some people pretend not to know the difference because righteous indignation is fun.

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I heard they are waffling about the requirement that all principals speak or be in the process of learning to speak, Spanish. Not a good thing, I think.

Hadn't heard about anything else.

This year, Bush's "no child left behind" puts a cap on the number of Special Ed students who can take a modified test. He figures if they take the harder test, they will be more successful.

Just as he thinks he can make things better in Iraq by telling the American people that we are winning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.