1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kicked out of the YMCA... for witnessing??!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Search4Truth, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If he were talking to them about the Book of Mormon or the Koran, would you be saying the same thing?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Absolutely. How old does someone have to be to discuss their eternal soul with a stranger? These 'boys' are probably old enough to drive cars. They probably 'date' girls. They probably haven't held an adults hand to cross the street in quite some time.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not about what the person had to say. It is just wrong the way he went about it. I think the YMCA director was right. If anything had happened to the kids, then people would have wanted to hang the director for not intervening.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Here's what I would have done----after my membership termination--to which I would make sure that I received back every dime I put into membership----mentally I would have wrote "Ichabod!!!" on the Y's doorstep----"The Glory Has Departed!!!" and vowed never to step even a big toe onto their property again as long as I live----then I'd keep witnessing like I should----just elsewhere!!!

The Y management will say they are Christian---but yet there is always that "Umbrella" that welcomes all religions---reaking of Universalism!!

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Amen blackbird.

When christians agree with the knee jerk paranoid reactions of worldlings to justify further persecution of our brethren; we have turned a corner in this country that may be nigh impossible to return from.

I suppose some here would agree with the premise that it would be wrong to evangelize on the property of an LDS church.

I wonder what Paul would have thought, since he regularly got beat for doing just such a thing; only he did it on the property of the Jewish synagogue.

Some would say that what this man did was not wrong, just his method was wrong. Weak argument at best. :rolleyes:

I will support a brother in Christ for his attempts to evangelize the lost; at any cost.

In His service;
    Jim

6. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Say what you will - but I don't want anyone "evangelizing" and giving money to my high school age son. That almost seems like bribery, anyway. I'm responsible for my son's spiritual growth, and I don't want any strangers involved.

As Johnv has said, what if the guy was LDS? Offers your child $20 and invites him/her to his church where the whole group just loves on them when they visit. "Hey Dad - I just joined the most friendly church I've ever been to!"

I understand what the guy was doing, and it's an interesting approach. But doing it with kids is not the same as with adults. People drop off their kids at the "Y" and aren't expecting them to be evangelized.

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

In response to the question;

"What if the guy was LDS?"
    I would still defend it, because by restricting him, in THIS country, I would inevitably wind up restricting myself.

While it is true that YOU are responsible for your kids' spiritual growth, you are forgetting that the majority in this nation have neglected that DUTY.

It is entirely possible, if these kids were seniors in high school that they are not far from the age of fighting in a war for this country. If they are old enough for that, then I submit they are beyond the age of needing "mommy and daddy" to protect them from the "boogie man".
    Bear in mind that these kids had just finished playing basketball; therefore they are probably atheletic and could most likely handle themselves when confronted by an evangelist. We are not talking about grade schoolers here. I suppose that the man in question has enough sense to be discerning as to age appropriate methods.

Man alive! I can hardly believe that I find myself having to defend a man for evangelizing high school age kids from the paranoid reactions of the "Body of Christ".!!!

In His service;
    Jim

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

BTW
    This happened at the Young Mens' Christian Association.
    For crying out loud!

In His service;
    Jim

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

"This happened at the Young Men's Christian Association"

True, Jim! But the "Universal" umbrella has been put up----and the organization feels no need to evangelize---because everyone is "safe" with his/her own religion, whatever that may be!!

Blackbird

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Well, I'm not one who enjoys it very much when someone tries to convert me to their religion. If I'm standing out in front of the YMCA talking to a friend, I do not want someone I don't know interrupting my conversation to try to 'save my soul'. It is none of their business what my religious beliefs are. If I want to talk about my religion with people, I will do it voluntarily and I'll make the effort to seek out a people and a place to do it with, such as the BB. It is too much like the squeegee guy on the road who cleans your windshield without any acknowledgement as to whether you want it done or not. I can't stand that.

Aside from that, the fact the he gave them money so they would come to church is just insulting to the word. As if the word of God is not enough to get people into church. If they really are seeking the word, then they will have the yearning desire to come for themselves without being bribed. Pathetic.

Not that I agree about the 'he could have been a child predator' mentality, but I think the Y was right simply for the fact that the man was obviously panhandling, which is illegal here, and I'm sure the Y doesn't want it happening on their property either.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My witnessing has to be done without the "Bula-Bula"----spiritually, when you witness--God floods you with his riches---but I couldn't keep up with this fella's way of handin' out the dough everytime I told somebody about Jesus!! See??

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Well what more can I say?
    If you dont't get it then I guess....you never will.

Sad day for the church when even "the elect" refuse to uphold each other.

In His service;
    Jim

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You know Jim, every time we are out street witnessing/preaching in Ft Worth, it is always the Christians who have the biggest problem with us being there.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is not a case of the elect refusing to uphold each other. This is a case of the elect having to adhere to the same rules as everyone else. He meant well, but he's still gotta play by the rules.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Jim---I don't have nothing against the dude witnessing at the "Y"---and I think that its a raw deal that the dude got kicked out---its just that the method he uses---throwin' out those $20's like they were candy----I witness, don't get me wrong---its just that I can't use the $$$$ as part of the process!! I'm gonna lift the dude up---as for the "Y"---I kinda figure that's what they were gonna do!!

If the dude can't witness at the "Y"---then go somewhere else---I witnessed on the plane going to the UK---but I didn't use $$$$$---and the lady sittin' next to me??? She was a captive audience----42,000 feet in the air----550 miles per hour----where is she gonna go???

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stick by my original comment; he was out of line.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

But rsr?? What about if the dude never used the $$$??? What if he never flashed it in front of the two boys?? Chances are---He'd never gotten reported!!

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he did.

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

And what is the problem with the fellow using something like money to get the kids attention focused on the FREE GIFT OF GOD?

I did not read in the article that the man used it as a bribe, as in, "look kids, if you listen to me for a bit I'll give you some money".
    Rather what the article said, in the man's own words, it was a reward for correct answers and an illustration of God's free Gift.

No problem. I'll stand by my first comments. I support the man.

Bro. Newman. In reply to your comment; it has also been our experience. Often it is professing christians who see our efforts as offensive. Saying things like we will drive the lost away from God, (as if they were there in the first place) or saying things like we are making christians look foolish, (as if the preaching of the cross is anything but foolish).

In His service;
    Jim

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

BTW;
    Some feller on here said the man was obviously panhandling.
    Correction; (in the spirit of brotherly kindness)
    Panhandling is begging for money. Not giving it away.
    Charity on the other hand is giving it away.
    In His service;
    Jim