1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King David and Saul's Daughter Michal

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sis. Sarah, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Would any of you preachers care to comment on why Michal despised David in her heart? What about David's reply to her when she condemned him? This has always bothered me and I just read it again last night. She never had any children either.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the short answer is (and I may be wrong) she was scandalized by David's behavior when David danced in his ... I forgot the term used by the Bible....(not fitting behavior for a king ?).

3. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

But do you think she was correct in what she said? Was David in the wrong I mean? This is a hard subject for me. I have always thought David was arrogant in his reply to her yet God blessed him and left her childless. What does this mean Pinoy?

Since you replied to this question, I want to tell you I wish you would explain the meaning of salvation more as the Primitives see it. I understood what you wrote of regeneration I believe. I really enjoyed what you wrote. There is just too little time for all the studying I wish I could do. God's peace to you.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Michal may have despised David because he had her separated from her husband who apparently loved her very much. With David, she was just one of many wives. Just a thought.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Dynamic equivalence rendering - "Birthday suit!". :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Michal's love obviously turned to hatred - I think the reality had set in that she was just one of his wives. Her father had used her as a pawn, and she was the one left feeling unloved and empty. Michal viewed David with alienation and contempt on the day that the Ark of the Covenant was brought to Jerusalem. This event marked the end of their relationship. When she fussed at him for behaving in an undignified manner while celebrating its arrival, he made it clear the feeling was mutual. I think she was jealous b/c he was out praising the Lord instead of coming home to see her.

#6 TaterTot, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked for an answer from a preacher.....I'm not a preacher, but I have my own answer.

Michal made a fatal error, but it wasn't what she said nor her despising David....

Let's start from her beginning. You have to look at her whole story to understand why she had no children.

1 Samuel 18
    This chapter says that she was young. It also says that she was in love with David, but it doesn't say that David was in love with her.

Saul hears that she loves him and he wants to use this possible relationship to kill David. He sends messangers to tell David that he wants him for a son-in-law, but David says that he is poor. Saul sends him a message that 100 Philistine foreskins is dowry enough.....

.....so David killed two hundred Philistines, brings their foreskins back to Saul and marries Michal. The Bible says that David was pleased to be Saul's son-in-law, not that he was pleased to be Michal's husband.

David and Michal are married, Saul sees that the LORD is with David, and that really ticks him off.

1 Samuel 19
    Saul decides just to kill David outright. So he sends some guys to David's and Michal's house to do that very thing. Michal gets wind of it and warns David.

In a move very similar to Rahab the harlot, she warns David of what will happen to him and she helps him escape out of a window. And when the men come asking for David - Michal, just like Rahab, the harlot, lies about his whereabouts. (I find that parallel between the two women very interesting.)

She makes his bed up with an idol under the covers and goat hair on the pillow and told the men that he was "ill". Then men report to Saul and he is so angry that he says, "Just go and get him, bed and all, and bring him here!!!!!"

The guys find out that it's all a big ruse and Saul shames Michal for it. And he gives her away to another man. (chapter 25)
    .....................................................................................

1 Samuel 25
    During this time David has gone on and married at least two other women, Abigail and another woman, but Michal, the woman who loves him has been given away to someone else.
    .......................................................................................

2 Samuel 3
    In his dealings with Abner, David tells him not to come to him without "Saul's daughter". He tells the man, "I paid for her.....bring her to me". Note he doesn't profess any love for her. He now has other wives.
    ........................................................................................

2 Samuel 6
    Here is where Michal makes her grievous error. She has loved this man and risked her life, literally, to save him. And she has been passed like a baton to David - to another man - and back to David, who now has other women in his bed. How must she feel? How would you feel?

Her mistake lies in hardening her heart. It's true, she's living a pathetic life - but living in tragedy or pain doesn't give one the right to harden herself against God or Godliness.

David brings the ark triumphantly back to its rightful place. He worships, he sacrifices, he humbles himself before God. He dances openly and without shame. And others rejoice with him.

All except for Michal. She can't. She has allowed self-pity and anger and jealousy to consume her. She waits until David has finished in his celebration to God and with God and tries to publicly humiliate him. She hurts - so why shouldn't he hurt?

She can't stand it that he rejected her for other wives and even for God.

She has allowed the hurt that she has experienced to become more important than even God.

We can't do that. Ever.

David humiliates her in return. And the Bible says that she had no children.

Does this mean that God struck her barren or that David purposefully never slept with her again? I don't know.

All I know is that she suffered as many women in those days suffered and she allowed it to take over her life and she paid a price for it.

The lesson? Life can sometimes be awfully painful. That's the time when we should seek God the most and love those who hurt us the most and rely on God to apply justice and not to seek retribution in our hearts by scorning those who hurt us.

Was she wronged? You bet she was. But she allowed her pain to fester when she should have given God her burdens. She scorned when she should have forgiven. She mocked when she should have remained silent. And she was denied the only comfort that she could have had - children.

Not a pleasant story - but hopefully a lesson to us all.

#7 Scarlett O., Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  8. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Thanks everyone for all your replies. You have certainly given me some directional thoughts and it amazing to see how each has his or her own interpretation of this story! I am thinking along these lines though, as I said earlier, I haven't fully been given a sincerely truthful interpretation from the Lord for just me, but I am dwelling along the lines that dancing naked, as David did before man, is not in the Spirit of worshipping God. It wouldn't have been then and it is not today. I am inclined to believe that in that moment David was saying what a lot of people today do; "Look what I have done." I believe this is why the Ark slid and that man was killed and then David was afraid to take the Ark to his house because he knew he had shamed God openly. I believe David did not sleep with Michal because of his guilt towards her and because he knew she was right. I am not sure, but ever time I think of David I am reminded of how man has a craving for taking the church for his own lusts and pleasure, as David took so many women in his lifetime, just like man(kind) is always trying to take God's Woman, the Church and this is what I believe David's like means to me. He wanted to build a house for God, just like a lot of people today think they build the House, but it is God's House and His Wife, not man's. So I believe that every time we attempt to say, "Look what I've done," we are but dancing naked not only before God who sees the wickedness of our hearts, but in disgrace before His people and the world even.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear sister - from one sister in the LORD to another - I think you have the wrong picture of David.

Yes, he had flaws. BIG ones. He was a terrible husband and father. He was completely governed by his passions. He was proud, rash, and hot-tempered.

But, he was committed to the LORD. And he was quick to repentance every single time that someone called him on it. Nathan, Abigail,.....anyone who brought his sin before him was quick to see a very repentant David.

David is not the sweet little shepherd boy that we all erroneously learned about as children in Sunday School.

But the man that you have described in your post is also not the David of the Bible. When I think of David, I think of a very flawed man who lived hard and died weak. But I also think of a man who was a man after God's own heart. A man who humbled himself before God and cried out to God in repentance over and over again.

Psalm 38 gives a good account of just what a repentant man David was.

10. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I agree with Scarlett. Michal became bitter towards David, which is understandable from a human standpoint, but it was still inappropriate by God's standards. She paid the price for her sin. David had his flaws, but he would not have been called "a man after God's own heart" if he had a thoroughly bad character.

11. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Nekkid. See, two different versions can both be good translations.:laugh:

12. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Let me ask you this. Why did David spend so much of his life running in fear from Saul after he had slain the giant? Is this what kept him so close to God? What did he do when he had security as king?

I believe Michal loved her God, the God of Israel, more than she loved or worshipped David or man. I believe she saw and knew David's weakness which came out in the end as all people's do eventually and this is why she chose not to bear him children even though she was legally bound to him by the law.

I believe God always has a real church somewhere in the midst of human lusts and pride and those who revel in human spirits in the name of God as David was doing spite Her.

The Jews later on tried to claim David as their ticket to Heaven, but Jesus set them straight on who David was - just a man. I believe it was Jesus' Spirit who revealed what was going on to Michal and she could see the final outcome, even when it was the great David doing wrong.

The Bible says a wife is the hidden man of the heart. Well in this case I believe Michal was truly being the hidden man - Jesus - of David's heart though he was belittling her and Christ with his actions but he suffered for it. The Lord is grieved when His children act in pride and lust as David was doing so if they are truly saved they will suffer the cost in this life. The fact that Michal had no natural children with David, I believe, was a foreshadowing from God that he would not build the natural temple also. He was, however, one of the lesser stones in the Spiritual House of God - Jesus being the chief corner Stone - just as we are if we have truly been saved.

I have heard many say that if David were living today that some would not let him preach because of his womanizing as though these types of men should be allowed to preach. Well, to this I would say that God forbade the great David from building His natural, visible house though David was still a man after God's own heart such as a man today can be though he cannot build, or work, in the visible house in the capacity of a leader. God bless you all for your thoughts and comments. They were a help to me.

13. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Oh, and the Bible doesn't say Saul lost the kingdom because David was to be king. It was because Saul disobeyed God in not seeking Him instead of seeking out that woman with familiar spirits.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm almost afraid to ask this, but . . . Where do you guys get your idea that David was dancing naked?

15. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

The Bible says David was wearing "an ephod of linen." 1 Chronicles 15:27. Does anyone know how much material this is? I'm not sure Aaron. But I have never thought St. Peter was completely "naked" either when he was out on the boat with the other fishermen though a lot say this. I believe he was barely covered for anyone to see him just as some are today in the buildings. But we know God sees us at all time right down to the depths or our hearts. Just my thoughts.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would anyone have the idea that a linen ephod is scanty dress?

17. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

I am not sure about this. The Bible also says a robe of fine linen. He was drinking and dancing and there was reason for Michal's comments about the maidens seeing him in such a condition. We know that even if a man or woman is wearing a robe if they are drunk it is untelling what they might do. I believe this is the point of the scene here but different people see it different ways.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David's worship was drunken revelry?

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the point. David wasn't drunk, and he wasn't naked. He laid aside his princely attire, which was probably constrictive, and "girded" himself, meaning that he fastened on, a linen ephod.

Michal's accusation was a false accusation.

20. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

You are entitled to your belief, Aaron. But the truth is that the Ark slipped and David was afraid. In other words, he lost his standing with God and he knew it. I believe it too. He lost his standing more than once with God too. He was just a man and not the root of God's house. Jesus is the root and all are naked before him. And Michal was a woman of God.