1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King David

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by ktn4eg, Jul 9, 2010.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

What works great in a military dictatorship doesn't always work to well in a church. Switching from a military way of doing things into a volunteer organization can sometimes be difficult. That's why career military men are sometimes shunned. There's no military chain of command in a church or at least many will not submit to the idea. A stubborn allegience to s.o.p. can create problems in a church atmosphere. Authority isn't just extended to a pastor by virtue of his supposed rank.

2. Bro K

Bro K New Member

"What works great in a military dictatorship doesn't always work to well in a church."

The US military does not operate as a dicatorship; as is the case in other countries.

"Switching from a military way of doing things into a volunteer organization can sometimes be difficult. That's why career military men are sometimes shunned."

I've encounter no problems since my retirement over 20 years ago. Be assured it was far more stricter then than now.

"There's no military chain of command in a church or at least many will not submit to the idea. A stubborn allegience to s.o.p. can create problems in a church atmosphere."

I believe that one could find a better word than "stubborn". However, we do need pastors with some backbone and stand up for enforcing God's word. "A house that is divided cannot stand"; Who can best unite the people than one who has the training and the EXPERIENCE.

"Authority isn't just extended to a pastor by virtue of his supposed rank."

Authority IS extended to pastors through the authority of God's word. One may be amazed at what God can do IF we would look to Him instead of man.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

In the five churches of which I've been a member since the day I was saved (Apr 1966), I was never shunned for being a member of the military.
    (Of course two of those were either primarily for military people or close to a military base.)

As far as David was concerned, the only thing that I can recall that God said "No" to him because he was a military leader was that He didn't permit him to build the temple.

Don't know that either of this would apply to what I asked in my OP though.

--ktn4eg / Retired E-6 [USAF & TN ANG)

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I too have a military background and have been in the full time pastorate for almost fifteen years. And, all I was doing was suggesting some reasons why some have trouble. (I should have been clearer)