1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King James I; Godly King or Tyrannical Pervert?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Monergist, Mar 7, 2006.

?
  1. Pervert

47.1%
  2. Tyrant

29.4%
  3. Pervert and Tyrant

5.9%
  4. Godly King

11.8%
  5. Don't Know

5.9%
  6. Don't Care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Monergist

Monergist New Member

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about a better than average late Sixteenth-early Seventeenth century western European monarch? Let's face is his peers were not a bunch of cuddly puppy dogs and kittens.

3. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

The Stuarts were brutal. They were CATHOLICS in all but name... when they started to take off the mask, it led to CIVIL WARS both times! (English Civil War 1642-48; Glorious Revolution 1688).

It was CATHOLIC STUART persecutions that drove the Mayflower and Arabella PROTESTANT Puritans to America.

It was CATHOLIC STUART persecutions that tortured and mutillated and martyred the Scottish Covenanters. I urge you to watch the video, "Scottish Covenanters", available from Amazon or directly from Vision Video.

If you fondly remember the name, Richard Cameron, you cannot but HATE the Stuarts.... unless you don't mind being logically inconsistent, liking both a thing (Cameron) and its opposite (Stuart Kings Charles 2 and James 2).

4. nate

nate New Member

He had his problems but don't we all.

In Christ,
    Nate

""Eccere nullus-a-um salus-utis externus Christus!"

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Errm, Bismark, where was I all that pro-Stuart? By peers, I meant the French royals, the Austrian and Spanish Hapsburgs, and the Bavarian royals. For you information, I am active in a group which is deep into researching the mid-17th century, A little later the King Jimmy, but the players still had the same nasty attitudes. The whole era reeked of sacralism. (The King's relgion is his subjects religion.)

There is also the problem of who would of ascended the throne? Other than J I/IV, there were no other probable choices. Unless, you wanted a republic in the late sixteenth century. That I am afraid is a non starter.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the rumors about KJ's being gay were started years after his death, and that of the person he accused of being KJ's "partner". At most, he was a "switch hitter", being father of SEVEN children.

True, he was a poor financier, and after his able Finince Minister, Robert Cecil died, this weakness became apparent. But he managed to keep England outta the Thirty Years' War, which IMO was the most devastating war in European history until WW1.

He was certainly NOT Catholic! In fact, his not being Catholic was the main reason Guy Fawkes & friends tried to kill him. Like his predecessor, QE1, he tolerated the Catholics, but certainly didn't allow them to have any voice in govt. He was raised in a Presbyterian environment in Scotland, but he leaned toward the Anglican Church as he matured. He had scarcely settled upon the throne of England when the Anglican heirarchy prevailed upon him to authorize the making of a new Bible version to be universally used in all the churches in England. He quickly gave his permission, since he despised the Geneva Bible for its footnotes denying the "Divine Rights" of kings. However, KJ had nought to do with the making of the AV. His famous 14 rules for the translators to follow were actually written by the translators' boss, Archbishop Bancroft, who took them to KJ for his approval and then called them the KING'S rules.

KJ was neither the best nor the worst of British monarchs.