1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King James Study Bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I just bought a new one and so far I think I'm going to like it better than my Scofield.Has anybody read the KJV Study Bible cover to cover yet? What do you think?

2. sdnesmith

sdnesmith New Member

Is that the one published by Thomas Nelson? If so, I have one and the study notes are very good. It was originally published as the Liberty Annotated Study Bible.

Shawn

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

4. Michael52

Michael52 Member

It’s the one I carry to church. I have not read it cover-to-cover, yet. The notes are pretty good, though not nearly as extensive as the Zondervon study bible(s). It has lots of topic (doctrinal) notes. What I really like about it is the footnotes (center column notes) translating some of the older English words and phrases to modern synonyms.

Michael

5. Gayla

Gayla New Member

I've had one for about 7 years.
    I like it.

I like all the info in the notes. All there in one book.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to have that one. I liked it. Currently, I have the life application KJV Bible.

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One advantage the KJV has is the large number of study helps available for it. I believe I may have hinted every now & then that I'm not KJVOnly, but I certainly read and study from it, as well as the replica AV 1611.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not familiar with the KJV Study Bible. Is it by the same folks at the NIV Study Bible? Have a hardbound of that and find the notes, diagrams, etc to be really first rate.

If it IS the same format, only with KJV text, it is a good edition.

But I still love my new "old" Scofield!!

9. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

I am on my second KJ Study Bible. This time I bought the geniune leather covered one. I wore the first one out. I recommend it highly.

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, there are two different ones called by the same name. The one by Thomas Nelson has been out much longer. The one you probably have (the hardbound) is from Zondervan. Zondervan's version is their NASB Study Bible notes with a KJV text. Other than that, I'm not sure what differences they may have.

11. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

No, there are two different ones called by the same name. The one by Thomas Nelson has been out much longer. The one you probably have (the hardbound) is from Zondervan. Zondervan's version is their NASB Study Bible notes with a KJV text. Other than that, I'm not sure what differences they may have. </font>[/QUOTE]I have both of these. The one by Zondervan is actually the 1873 edition of the KJV, it's notes are based on the NIV Study Bible. The Nelson was originally called the Liberty Annotated Study Bible. I bought it along with a complete two vol commentary from CBD for $10.00, around 1992. The print is large, notes, in my view are excellent.It also has consistency in it's NT by spelling OT names the way they appear in OT; i.e. "Isaiah" instead of "Esaias", etc. They're a little careless with "LORD" and "Lord", see Psalm 110:5, although they correct it in footnotes. In Gen 18, they got it backwards, "LORD" for "Lord", and vice versa...one of my 'pet peeves' Overall, I would personally recommend it highly. [​IMG]

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I was using the Nelson KJ Study Bible for a while, and it was the Bible I carried to church. One day the pastor was reading from a passage and right there on the page was a note that was very much pro-predestination. Well, out came the black ink pen and the note was totally obliterated, and when I got home the Bible was immediately replaced by another. I have not so much as opened the cover of the Nelson KJ Study Bible since, and it is unlikely that I will ever again open its cover.

Last October I was in Tennessee and purchased a copy of the Reformation Study Bible, formerly known as the Geneva Study Bible. It was returned to the store two days later because of its pro-predestination notes...

13. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

All BV's teach predestination. I suppose you mean the Bible(s) were too Calvinistic.