1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kingdom of Heaven and God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mnw, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

This question recently came up in another topic. I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Do you think the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God are the same?

Here is my take on it:

For the most part these phrases appear to be interchangeable and refer to the same thing. Some writers state that the word “heaven” is a Hebraism for God and in such a case the phrases would indeed mean the same thing.

The phrase Kingdom of Heaven appears only in the Gospel of Matthew and as this Gospel was intended particularly for the Jew the idea that it refers to the Kingdom of God as spoken of in other Scriptures has some weight.

However, there is some indication that the Kingdom of God refers to believers only but the Kingdom of Heaven refers to both the regenerate and the unregenerate as they go through life together.

If the premillennialist’s interpretation of the Kingdom Parables in Matthew 13 is true then this is of significance.

To the premillennialist the Kingdom Parables depict the course of this age as believer and non-believers go through life together and in many cases both are found in the church.

The parables demonstrate that the church outwardly is made of both regenerate and unregenerate individuals.

Truly the church, the body of Christ, is only made up born-again Christians but wolves in sheep’s clothing in every generation make their way into the physical church. The parables then teach that the sheep and the goats, the wheat and the tares are separated, the righteous to everlasting life and the wicked into everlasting torment.

So while the Kingdom of God refers to believers only the Kingdom of Heaven refers to all of mankind.

Just my opinion.

MNW

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I believe they are the same thing, only referenced from a different view. The Kingdom of the Heavens (it's never singular) is the rule of the heavens and the Kingdom of God is the rule of God. So, the focus can be the rule or the ruler, but they are the same thing. However, both are future and both reference the Millennial Kingdom.

It's also important to remember that the rule of Jesus is for 1000 years, but the rule of God is forever.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say they are the same, although the heavenly kingdom will becom earthly as well as heavenly at some stage when the kingdom is established fully on earth.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Ben, I'm glad you see that! Most people overlook the fact that there will be a heavenly Kingdom and an earthly Kingdom, just as Moses had a heavenly seed and an earthly seed.

5. partialrapture

partialrapture New Member

I agree they are the same as well
    When the bible says the Kingdom of... God or Heaven it is simpily refering to authority this Kingdom with have its authority from God or from heaven where God currently rules from

Notice:

Mark 11:30 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? answer me.

Jesus asked, and he used from and of alike, he could have said "from heaven or from men", but he decided to use "from heaven or OF men", I believe to show the similarity in the word.
    Where did John get the authority to baptize from heaven or from men, of heaven or of men.

the Kingdom from God and from Heaven the same as the Kingdom of God and of Heaven

May God bless his word

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. - "Thy Kingdom Come".

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have to be the same, as a simple study of the parallel passages will show. Simply get your harmony of the Gospels and compare the places in which Matthew uses "kingdom of heaven" with the parallel passages in Mark and Luke, and the mystery is solved.

Just one example: Matt. 13:11 ("the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven") and Mark 4:11 ("the mystery of the kingdom of God").

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I also agree they are the same.

Matthew was written primarily to Jews who considered the name of God too holy to be spoken and substituted Heaven.

MR