1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV 1611 Edition

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

It's not a facsimile, but rather has been retypeset, which is disappointing. Otherwise, though, I have enjoyed owning one like it.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to the Nelson AV1611 actual facsimile copy like I have? It is most excellent and allows one to see the myth of AV1611 churches first hand!

It was hardbound, $19.99 and matched the KJV1769 and NKJV in a three-volume set.

4. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

That's the one I have. It's not a facsimile because it's retypeset. According to what I've read, the original was in gothic type with added words in roman type. The Nelson edition, like more-modern-than-1611 KJVs, is set in roman type with added words in italics.

5. DCK

DCK New Member

The Hendrickson edition seems to differ a little from the Nelson version (not the text, but in some of the other features), and is available in genuine leather. If I'm not mistaken (always a possibility), the 1611 printings of the KJV were considerably larger than normal books of today, so the Gothic type was more readable. Once you reduce that type of font it becomes very hard to make out, thus the change to Roman. Too bad; I'd like to see an exact reproduction done sometime.

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Dr. Bob:
    If you have the same one I do, it is out of print, according to Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com......

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Yes, but the 1599 Geneva, and Tyndale's and Wycliffe's, are searchable on e-sword, as is the Vulgate. I've downloaded over 50 Bibles this week. Cool!

9. BrianT

BrianT New Member

It's a shame about those Nelson reprints no longer being produced. A year or so ago, you could pick them up for about $20 each, and I was tempted to buy a whole box. I should have. [​IMG] There are currently 3 "like new" for sale on amazon's New/Used section, starting at $128 :eek:

I've seen a few truer "facsimiles" that are photo-reprints (i.e. thus are not retypeset into a Roman font), but they average around $300. If anyone is really interested in these, I can provide links.

Or you can just go to http://www.greatsite.com and drop $130,000 for an original. [​IMG]

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Brian, why did you have to torture me with that "she" KJV ???? [​IMG]
    I have asked God for an original AV, and not wanting to be greedy, I specifically asked for a "she" AV.....
    [​IMG]

11. Sola_Scriptura

Sola_Scriptura New Member