1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV and Anglicanism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by manchester, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

av1611jim said:

Look up your OWN history. It is a fact. Calvin was culpable and even stated that if Servetus were to come to Geneva, that he (Calvin) would not let him leave ALIVE.

Until you cough up a primary source, this is hearsay, and therefore suspect. So start coughing.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Start choking buddy!
    See my post above!!! AND THE LINK!

I did your homework for you.

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Do you even know what a primary source is? What specific letters or works of Calvin do those alleged statements of his come from?

That Web page is at best a secondary source, and an undocumented one at that. It is not credible scholarship.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Process of 14 August, 1553, before the Lesser Council of Geneva. Calvin : Opera. Vol. XIII, pp.727-731. French.

Look it up.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I think the meaning of Calvin's words were that he would turn Servetus over to the law enforcement since he was not a citizen of Geneva at the time nor did he have any governing authority. Calvin lived in a time when religious liberty did not exist and State Churches ruled the land. Servetus would have faced the same fate whether before a Anglican, Lutheran or Roman Catholic court. I don't think Luther, Cranmer, Zwingli or even the Pope would have acted any diffeent in the 1500's than Calvin. They were influenced by their culture to view the execution of heretics to be just.

A good way to describe it would have been the way slavery was viewed in North America in the 1700's. A runaway slave would probably have been turned over to the authorities by any Christian minister be they Baptist, Epicopalian or Congregationalist because Slavery was viewed as normal unlike today.

The idea of religious liberty was just beginning to resurface through the Anabaptist Reformation but it would take centuries before Anabaptist thought on religious liberty would effect the masses.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Kiffen said:

Servetus would have faced the same fate whether before a Anglican, Lutheran or Roman Catholic court. I don't think Luther, Cranmer, Zwingli or even the Pope would have acted any diffeent in the 1500's than Calvin. They were influenced by their culture to view the execution of heretics to be just.

Correct, and Calvin's ecclesiology included a separation of powers between the state and the church such that they had their own spheres of influence. His theology in this area is in fact the most progressive of the day and laid the theological foundation of the separation of church and state as we understand it today.

To get this back to some semblance of on-topicness, James I's main beef with the Geneva Bible was not the quality of the translation, but the political tone of many of the notes. Reformed political philosophy said that the king was not above the law, whether God's or man's, whereas James was a firm believer in the divine right of kings - believed he was entitled to do anything he wanted. The main political motivation for the KJV was to publish a standard English Bible that would undermine the popularity of the Geneva, and by publishing it without study notes, it would also be a lot nicer to kings.