1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured KJV Bibles

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Dec 19, 2015.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you still haven't shown "facts". You actually called the name of a company a man - and it's been shown that it is not the truth. Why are you just throwing your hands up rather than dealing with facts?

2. stevewm1963

stevewm1963 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't read very well do you? I'm not a KJVO as i stated...you also don't research very well either..King James was not a homosexual, he was accused long after his death and King James had no part in writing the kjv, he only approved it, we don't even know that he ever opened it! Sir Anthony Welden, an officer of the royal court of whom King James had removed in anger swore vengeance and was the first to accuse him "AFTER" King James death!

3. stevewm1963

stevewm1963 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are FACTS! Harper Collins published those books mentioned..now YOU dispute those FACTS! You are nit picking at words! That's childish to say the least!

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stevewm1963

stevewm1963 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 29:9King James Version (KJV)
    9 If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest.
    I'm done with this discussion!

6. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Really no need to question if I understand this distinction, is there? Not certain what your point is, but it comes across as condescending. Let's not go there. :)

As I stated, and IMO, she should not have been involved. It is highly doubtful no one knew she was a homosexual. Every person involved should have been vetted. I don't think the latter findings are valid but simply show some slackness on the vetting process.

Of course. .

7. Internet Theologian

Lighten up brother. You're getting bent and your usage of '!' is going to make the bandwidth explode.

I didn't say you were a kjvo'er. Should I also come at you and say you don't read very well, or would that be asinine as well?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL childish? You're the one who doesn't know the facts but instead are parroting what others have said - and don't even have that information correct. Again, do some research and you'll find the truth to be very different from what you have said.

9. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She worked on the NIV as a stylistic consultant from 1970-78. I don't believe she showed any evidence of homosexuality publicly at that time. She was married to a man and had one child at the time when employment began. She told her husband she was gay and divorced in 73. But I don't see and evidence she told anyone outside of family until after her time with the NIV team was over.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some FACTS, Steve.

The first reading is from the 1611 edition of the Authorized Version. The second reading is from the current 1769 edition of the KJV.

Joshua 3:11 – “Arke of the Couenant, euen the Lord” vs. “ark of the covenant of the Lord”
    2 Kings 11:10 – “in the Temple” vs. “in the temple of the LORD”
    Isaiah 49:13 – “for God” vs. “for the LORD”
    Jeremiah 31:14 – “with goodnesse” vs. “with my goodness”
    Jeremiah 51:30 – “burnt their dwelling places” vs. “burned her dwellingplaces”
    Ezekiel 6:8 – “that he may” vs. “that ye may”
    Ezekiel 24:5 – “let him seethe” vs. “let them seethe”
    Ezekiel 24:7 – “powred it vpon the ground” vs. “poured it not upon the ground”
    Ezekiel 48:8 – “which they shall” vs. “which ye shall”
    Daniel 3:15 – “a fierie furnace” vs. “a burning fiery furnace”
    Matthew 14:9 – “the othes sake” vs. “the oath’s sake”
    1 Corinthians 12:28 – “helpes in gouernmets” vs. “helps, governments”
    1 Corinthians 15:6 – “And that” vs. “After that”
    1 John 5:12 – “the Sonne, hath” vs. “the Son of God hath”

If you want to check out the above readings for yourself, both the 1611 KJV and the 1769 KJV are available free from e-Sword.

Now, Steve, let's talk about the above FACTS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Internet Theologian

She divorced in 73 so if as you say she did so to announce her homosexuality she still continued to serve on the NIV team. To announce this at that time in history it would seem to be quite scandalous.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't see where she announced her homosexuality in 1973. McCree stated "But I don't see and evidence she told anyone outside of family until after her time with the NIV team was over."

13. Internet Theologian

Yeah, I actually read what he said too. This part here: 'She told her husband she was gay and divorced in 73.'

Therefore I'm referring to her allegedly telling her husband. That is the announcement referred to...

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But that wouldn't necessarily mean that the translation committee would know about this announcement. My friends divorced because he decided he was gay. He is a deacon in the Catholic church and he has never told them of his sexual orientation. Amazingly they know he is divorced but since he and his wife had the marriage annulled, he can still serve as a deacon.

15. Internet Theologian

That's a sad story Ann.

Is he on a translation committee? :D :eek: Laugh Roflmao Tongue

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ROTFL!! But it just goes to show what you confess to your spouse isn't always spread to those a the job. ;)

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I don't have an issue with the KJV, but more often the modern folks, who want to make the KJV some exalted book, neglect that the translators of the KJV stated:
    "Now to the later we answere; that wee doe not deny, nay wee affirme and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in English, set foorth by men of our profession (for wee have seene none of theirs of the whole Bible as yet) containeth the word of God, nay, is the word of God. As the Kings Speech which hee uttered in Parliament, being translated into French, Dutch, Italian and Latine, is still the Kings Speech, though it be not interpreted by every Translator with the like grace, nor peradventure so fitly for phrase, nor so expresly for sence, every where."
    I am bothered by those who want to "puff" up some version as the Word, when even the KJV translators stated that ALL translations were the Word of God.

The KJV translators KNEW that only the original manuscripts were perfect that some "errors" would be found, and subsequent corrects made:
    "No cause therefore why the word translated should bee denied to be the word, or forbidden to be currant, notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting foorth of it. For what ever was perfect under the Sunne, where Apostles or Apostolike men, that is, men indued with an extraordinary measure of Gods spirit, and priviledged with the priviledge of infallibilitie, had not their hand?"​

If one doesn't like reading the original 1611 spelling, you can find the 1769 spelling of the above here.

My point being, the KJV was a standard established to accomplish a number of things:
    • Standardize spelling throughout the English readers.
    • Present a unified Bible incorporating as much information available at the time.
    • Removing as much influence of the papist perversion as possible (considering the history of the times and influences of the persecution of those who opposed the papal established churches).
    • Establishing a standard of readability and level of education for the populace in general.
    However, at no point did the translators state that the translation work was establishing a Bible that was above critical analysis, the only, or anything other than the Word of God, in which they included ALL other translations to be, also.

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The macarthur/Ryrie in Kjv both good choices, as would be the reformed study bible, and the Zondervan Kjv version, the one with the Niv study bible notes adopted to it!