1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV Mistake Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Scott J, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Somehow I seriously doubt ScottJ "backed out because he knew he had lost".

This thread has lost its direction and is on page 6. It will be closed no earlier than 2230 tonight EST.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

"Lost"? Hardly.

If I have time, I'll try to get back to you before the deadline.

For future reference, if I "lose" a debate, vis a vis recognize that you are right and I am wrong, I'll acknowledge it.

Silence should not be misinterpretted as "consent"... I simply lost track of this discussion.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I never understand why this type of arguement never applies to the KJV translation team.

Lets suppose that this was written in 1611:

[ March 27, 2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Then you would have to prove the context begs for better, but you cannot.

Simply that the English language is not a dead language: none of its preceding verbage has ever died. The definitions are still availabvle to exact any understanding completely.

The error of new versions is they demand the changing to limit definition, but that is censure as the means to qualify the new version and disqualify the KJB. It's called CHEATING the language.

Oh, and Scott J, you LOST. Harmony of the Gospels and the doctrinal substance of the Epistles are in complete agreement, your arguement cheats the English.

Either you will have to try and argue that Judas didn't drink damnation, or he didn't drink the cup, but both would be error. Judas drank the cup, he ate the bread, but he didn't discern the body of Christ: Judas drank damnation to his soul.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

But is too often read as defeat from your side. So I will claim the victory in God's Word as correct and your arguement just a dismissible objection.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But is too often read as defeat from your side. So I will claim the victory in God's Word as correct and your arguement just a dismissible objection. </font>[/QUOTE]Whatever satisfies those fleshly urges I suppose.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes... but in contradiction to your attempts to re-train and contort scripture to preserve a doctrine that is not to be found in the pages of scripture- namely KJVOnlyism.
    No. My argument accepts the English... that as a living language its definitions are changing... that damnation had a broader meaning in 1611 than it does know... and that the proper English word in 2006 for the Greek word in question is "judgment" and not "damnation".

Judas was the son of perdition. He was not saved.
    Oranges and apples.

The people being addressed in 1 Cor 11 were disobedient believers. In fact, practically the whole epistle amounts to one long correction of error after error.

Even if you wanted to say that false professors were also among those who ate and drank unworthily, there is nothing in the text that limits it to them. Verse 32 is provides context that completely falsifies your assertion. Those being "judged" can be none other than believers since God doesn't chasten those who don't belong to Him.

I have yet to see you deal with these contextual problems with what you are apparently trying to prove. The context demands that believers be included in those who take communion unworthily. The word "damnation" means that doing so would cause them to lose their salvation as understood today. The word "judgment" means that they would bring chastisement on themselves as the context supports and verse 32 proves.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only problem you have is that Paul was speaking to a church full of brethren and non-brethren alike, so it is relevent, just as God's Word is relevent and to all generations.</font>[/QUOTE] You need to show evidence that Paul assumed he was writing to unbelievers.

Even so, you just acknowledged that at least some of those receiving that rebuke were believers.... who can take communion unworthily but cannot drink themselves into hell.

Sure it does,modern English cannot deny ancient understanding.</font>[/QUOTE] Still doesn't make any sense. "Modern English" can't "deny" anything...
    Ah! Now we see the result of corruption: modern understanding denying the ancient Truth.</font>[/QUOTE] Do what? You make less and less sense all the time. "Modern understanding" of language doesn't "deny" any truth... it is simply a reality.

The ancient "Truth" is that a believer who approaches the Lord's Supper with a wrong attitude is out of fellowship, mocks Christ's sacrifice, and opens himself up to chastisement.

Indeed, it is modern understanding- yours, that requires warped and strained interpretations... even denying reality in the process.

No. The definitions changed. New translations are necessary to ensure that what is read communicates the same meaning as the original.

The alternative is that misunderstandings, misinterpretations, and eventually false doctrines arise from people doing as you have done- forcing a modern definition into a text in the place of a word's previous definition.

Thou art the man...

The context demands judgment. One of the most able scholars on this board and a firm defender of both the TR and KJV confirmed that "damnation" was once synonomous to "judgment". So the understanding from the KJV in 1611 would have been "judgment". The understanding from MV's today is "judgment". It is only the KJVO who must say the word means "damnation" as currently understood.

Not coupled with the Spirit there is no misunderstanding that the brother suffers judgement for unconfessed sins and the unconverted will suffer damnation for unworthily partaking of the Lord's Supper not discerning/understanding that self judgement, is the precedence afforded by the self-ssame Spirit!</font>[/QUOTE] Would you mind too badly cleaning this one up? I can't understand your point.

If judgment of both the sinner and the saved are in view... then "damnation" is the wrong word and "judgment" is the right word for contemporary English readers.

No. I don't think so.

I have said that believers cannot drink damnation to themselves... that would place this verse in contradiction with the whole context of scripture.

Unbelievers can certainly drink unworthily... but they are not subject to God's chastisement because they aren't his children.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for once again exposing yourself in public.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Closed at 2345

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.