1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV only and the unicorns

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Aug 7, 2003.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Is the KJV infallible EVEN with references to a mythological animal in Numbers 23:22, Numbers 24:8, Job 39:9, Job 39:10, Psalms 29:6, and Psalms 92:10. Please note that the Hebrew word "na'em" refers more than likely to a wild bull, and many of the verses in which the animal is found refers to brute strength and multiple horns, which this animal would not have.

2. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

I heard (just heard!) that the hebrew word the KJV translates unicorn means "one horned". Although unicorns as a mystical figure don´t exist it is agood translation, isn´t it?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhinoceros : any of a family (Rhinocerotidae) of large heavyset herbivorous perissodactyl mammals of Africa and Asia that have one or two upright keratinous horns on the snout and thick gray to brown skin with little hair

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

HankD

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

In Deut 33:17, the KJV has "the horns of unicorns". However, in Hebrew, the word translated "unicorns" is singular. It appears the KJV translators saw the contradiction this would create by using the singular "unicorn", so instead of using a different singular creature (like almost every other translation I have seen), they pluralized the word! Thus, in there effort to retain the identity of the unicorn while eliminating a "contradiction", they in fact produced two errors in this verse within the same word:

- they changed the singular to a plural
    - they tell us the creatures are unicorns (which cannot have two horns as the Hebrew says)

This leaves me with basically one question for the KJV-only supporters out there - if the KJV is correct in this verse, where was the uncorrupt word of God prior to the KJV?

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The unicorn in Biblical times was not a mythological animal. My pastor was convinced it had two horns from his readings in the Bible.

I did research on this and found that it was an animal built much like an ox and it had two horns.

I had my cousin draw a picture based on the description. A friend of mine then sculptured a likeness of this animal, out of wood, using the picture and the description and I presented it to my pastor.

That was about 15 years ago and he still has it displayed in his church office.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I Am Blessed 16 said:

The unicorn in Biblical times was not a mythological animal. My pastor was convinced it had two horns from his readings in the Bible.

So it wasn't a "unicorn"! [​IMG]

I did research on this and found that it was an animal built much like an ox and it had two horns.

Then when the modern versions call re'em a "wild ox" or "wild bull," they are right, and the "perfectly preserved Word of God for the English speaking peoples, the King James Bible" is wrong. (But at least they get half marks for translating the Vulgate correctly.)

7. Anti-Alexandrian

If you would read the passage carefuly,you would have noticed that the bullock,in order to have two horns like normal,would have to be compared to unicorns(plural) instead of unicorn(singular).
    "With THEM." If he was like a unicorn(singular)how could he use "THEM"(his horns;plural) to push the people together? The bullock"s horns were compared to unicorns(plural;more than one) horns(plural).

You tell us;you seem quite able to doubt it.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since the unicorn is a mythical animal, it should be removed from translations. The hebrew word is r'em, which referred to a wild bull. Some bible translations translate the word more appropriately.

Just so we're clear on the subject: unicorns did not exist.

9. BrianT

BrianT New Member

If YOU would read my POST carefully, I said "in Hebrew, the word translated "unicorns" is singular". You are not arguing with me, but with the Hebrew text.

If you, and the KJV, are right, then the Hebrew text is wrong so again I ask: if the KJV is correct in this verse, where was the uncorrupt word of God prior to the KJV?

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian - Maybe there are disciples of Ruckman here that believe the AV1611 (whichever revision) actually DOES correct the Hebrew and Greek.

Most even RADICAL "onlies" try to avoid this logical conclusion and guilt by association. But in their heart they KNOW that KJV is truth and all else - including originals - be damned.

I have one in my church and he is laughable. But more honest in his position than many on the BB.

11. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

kjv
    Psalms 92:10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like [the horn of] an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

nasb
    Psalm 92:10
    But You have exalted my horn like that of the wild ox; I have been anointed with fresh oil.

note horn is singular.

12. Forever settled in heaven

what colour r ur horns? how many?

[​IMG]

13. firedome

firedome New Member

It seems to me that some woul dstrain at a gnat and swallow a camel. If you feel so strongly about the use of unicorn try investigating the word cross in any bible. You will find a very interesting topic for discussion there rather than worrying which translation better words minor things.

In Christ,
    Rodney (1Ti. 2:1-6)

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the New World Translation coming on ...

15. firedome

firedome New Member

Quite the contrary my friend. Actually I use the King James Version. What I am getting at is, there is little time for this type of bickering in my estimation. Take the Word to the world not the whip to your brother...

16. Forever settled in heaven

not in this verse, bud. the verse KJBOs n JWs join forces on isn't this; it's Titus 2:13.

;)

17. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

Ok, let's try a little ENGLISH here, shall we? Now, unless I am very much mistaken, the word "UNICORN" has two parts: "UNI", meaning "one" (as in "unite", "unitarian", etc.); and "corn", meaning "horn" (as in "cornet", etc.). Therefore, ANY creature with ONE HORN is a unicorn. It could be an ox with one horn (I once read about one of the buds from which the horn grows being removed so the ox had only one horn), or a rhinosaurus, or maybe even a horse with one horn. WHAT? A HORSE WITH ONE HORN??? Why not? Just because you haven't seen a photo of it, doesn't mean it never existed. There have been many eye-witness reprts of them in the past. Also, ask yourself this: would you believe the Tyranasaurus Rex ever existed if we'd never found fossils??? There are all manner of animals that exist/have existed that nobody alive now has seen. The arrogance of modern man in general, and of some on this board in particular, is breath-taking.

18. BrianT

BrianT New Member

In 1611, they didn't use "unicorn" to mean any one-horned animal, they used it to mean exactly what you think of: a mythical, magical horse with a long thin horn coming out its forehead. The marginal notes in the KJV reveal the translators knew what a rhinoceros was, and yet they didn't use that word in the text.

In 1611, people believed in unicorns. Several people owned what they believed was a magical, unicorn horn like the one pictured below, from the National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside (Liverpool, England):
    [​IMG]

All these "unicorn horns" were later identified by scientists as a tusk from a narwhal.

One reputed unicorn horn was kept in the Cathedral of St. Denis in France, and believed to have incredible healing properties. An Italian who visited England early in the reign of Henry VIII, commenting upon the riches of the religious houses and monasteries, wrote: "And I have been informed that, amongst other things, many of the monasteries posses unicorns’ horns of an extraordinary size." Centuries ago, The Vatican, Queen Elizabeth I, King Charles I, and even King James I himself all had unicorn horns listed in the inventories of their possessions. In fact, once when the son of King James was ill, the doctors had him drink some powered "unicorn" horn to heal him (it didn't help). The possession of these "unicorn" horns (narwhal tusks) contributed much to the then popular belief in unicorns.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I like this ... let's try a little English here as well ... The word "pine" means a tree; the word "apple" is a fruit. The word "pineapple" is the fruit of a tree ... Oh wait ... that doesn't work. Yikes ... what do we do now?? Let's try again ... The word "pine" means to long for or desire; the word "apple" means a fruit. Therefore "pineapple" means to long for a piece of fruit. Oh wait that doesn't work either ... what do we do now??? Easy: Use the word like everyone else does, without bending it to fit a preconceived position ...

20. Forever settled in heaven