1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV only supporters...question for you...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by doodlebug, Mar 2, 2005.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

I'm new here, and not as educated as most here seem to be. I am posting here because it seems to be a controversial subject which I am sure there will be debate as to the correct answer. I've grown up southern Baptist, and until I was an adult, I never heard of KJV only. However, the SB church I attend has believed that way since I've been a member at 18yrs old. About three years ago, our church called an independent fundamental baptist pastor who constantly pushes this KJV only matter. A few independent baptist members from other churches have joined our church, and now I am going to get to my question.
    Would you support a mission fund such as Annie Armstrong, or otherwise if the funds may not go to a KJV only missionary? This has been an argument given by our pastor as to why he is not supportive of SB mission causes. I think this is wrong. Most of the independent members don't even participate in our church evangelism, visitation, or other outreach. Why is it such a big deal? Shouldn't we just be glad that someone went out into the world to share the word?? Does it really matter if the word came from KJV only? Thanks for listening.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Welcome!
    I am KJVo and not ashamed of it. That being said, let me assure you that ANY man who is against missions in ANY form, ought to be ashamed of himself.
    What is it Christ told us? What is the LAST command He gave us?
    Frankly, I would not be against giving to any missionary. However, that opens up a "can of worms" as it were.
    Personally, I think a local church ought to take on a number of missionaries and give to them directly. This way one could avoid all the offended feelings concerning "Administration" costs. As fas as I know, there aren't many ways to get funds to missionaries other than through either Missions Boards or through a convention such as SBC. Nevertheless, I think the ideal is to give directly ot they who are on the field, whether that field be in the homeland or "over there".
    Unfortunately, you will find that same mindset which you described prevalent in most denominations. "If they ain't of us then we ain't gonna give to 'em." That's the way it is. It ain't right, but there ya go.

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Although I am not KJVo, I agree with av1611Jim 100%.....After all, what is the Great Commission?

4. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I absolutely feel that we should not condemn people for their belief of what version of the bible to use, but that we should convey our convictions to use KJV only (of which I'm still learning about), and should agree to disagree. I don't think that KJVo should be a club where we don't associate with others who don't believe the same way -- the version of God's word doesn't matter as long as we believe the same thing, so why are the IFB members of my church so dead set on KJVo in every area of life??? We don't participate in anything with other SB churches in our area because they don't strictly use KJVo. That would be like me saying I wasn't going to talk to anyone who wasn't a southern Baptist. We do have a number of missionaries we give to directly, however, I would almost guarantee that the majority do not solely use KJV bibles. It's not right and it makes me sad that something insignificant like this could prevent some lost soul from going to heaven. Thanks again for the replies. Please keep them coming.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of our missionaries are not KJVO. The simple fact of the matter is, they are trying to reach non-English speaking people, therefore, they must use another Bible translation. I prefer that they use a translation directly from the original languages and not merely a translation of the KJV.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, the FAITH AND INTENT of the missionary matters, and not his/her BV(s). However, I will NOT give to one such as "Mitchell", whom some here may be familiar with, as HIS intent seems to be to try to spread KJVO in other languages. He and some others insist upon using translations made from the KJV alone. Seems as if their motives are ulterior and NOT aimed only at spreading the Gospel.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is truly sad that your church called a KJVonly type, pushing a version and not evangelism. Tragic.

Most missionaries stay FAR AWAY from the KJVonly issue, as this sect has divided fundamentalism with this "non-biblical doctrine" (still waiting for one verse to support KJVonly) as it does this BaptistBoard.

And missionaries work in countries that have their own non-English translations and mostly could care less about argument over preferences in English versions!! [​IMG]

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Some IFB churches are now requiring missionaries in English speaking countries to only use the KJV or risk having their support cut off. Only means, only, at all, in any circumstance. If I use a passage in tracts or our gospel newsletter that reads arkwardly in the KJV I either use the NKJV or paraphrase it. This policy may very well cost me support.

I have done my best here to totally stay out of the issue, but am being dragged into it.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of those people in the past I have asked them one question, "Who's living for Jesus Christ because of your life?" The answer is almost always the same. Silence.

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

My pastor once said, "Your KJV is like an AK-47. Your BROTHER may have only a .22 cal. If YOUR BROTHER is in the foxhole with you, don't point your weapon at him! Point it at your COMMON enemy." I take that to mean we ought to be jointly engaging the enemy of man's soul.
    It is sad that SOME in my camp have made a hobby horse of this issue. If you NEED a more free English translation to communicate the Gospel "over-there" then by all means WIN THEM TO JESUS!
    Of course that causes me problems on this board. But I really don't care. I LOVE my KJV and will NOT give it up. I will preach only from it. I will study only it. And I will witness using only it.
    But for goodness sake, do not withold your support of a man who is winning them "over-there" if he needs to use another BV on occasion.

I feel for you Bro, C4K. Perhaps they who are witholding your support are not REALLY interested in winning them "over-there".

In HIS service;
    jim

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

At my church, my pastor carries out a very stringent exercise of finding out what's the position (everything including KJV) of the missionary before ever proposing to the church to support him.
    And we renew it every 2 years because people's positions are known to change.

However, my pastor's position is for the church to send out and support our own missionaries from amongst our midst. Not through a mission board. That's the bible way.

12. AZfiddler_Oct1996

AZfiddler_Oct1996 New Member

Also if you look in the bible the church is to reproduce like kind. therefore making it the churches responsibility lol if i spelled that right ill eat my hat. ne way to support church planters of like faith and practice. the bible also says to be of one mind and in the same judgement.. Tim version ne way you get my point.

13. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Notice...the above post is from me. not fiddler I used a different pc and fiddler was signed on.forgive the sins of my youth."on the baptist board. \" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And this goes so far as to change "For God commendeth His love for us..." to "God demonstrated His love for us..."?

What average reader in my town is going to understand "commendeth" in that context?

I don't think walking together except they be agreed was EVER intended to be taken in that context.

15. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this goes so far as to change "For God commendeth His love for us..." to "God demonstrated His love for us..."?

What average reader in my town is going to understand "commendeth" in that context?

I don't think walking together except they be agreed was EVER intended to be taken in that context.
    </font>[/QUOTE]it's a sad day for Ireland if her people cannot understand "commendeth"??? Ah you underestimate your people.... [​IMG]

The context of the verse is that it's in a series of rhetorical questions. But the principle still stands, doesn't it?

However i understand this may be a sensitive topic for you, so i just want to leave it at that. I only say that i support my pastor's position and we should allocate funds to people of like faith and practice, to be consistent. We are still friends with the missionaries we don't support financially anymore.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amazing position.

I am stunned that "like faith and practice" extends to paraphrasing a verse for publication.

17. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, i didn't say that. You did. I hope you can recognise that.

18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel sorry for any would-be missionary whose journey is blocked because he's expected to follow a FALSE DOCTRINE such as the KJVO myth.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It only makes sense that if a sect is sending out missionaries, that those men/women be an extension of the belief-structure of that sect.

You would not expect a Mormon to go out without his Book of Mormon, or go and tell others that he is NOT going to use/believe the Book of Mormon.

While I disagree with the "only" sect's false teaching, their consistency demanding the missionaries lock step in that false teaching is not wrong.

Sad, but consistent with the sect.

20. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Dr. BOB i resent the fact that you call God fearing Churches a sect.thereby demeaning them.The Bible says to seek to excell to the edifing of the church,not to the tearing of it down.