1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV only??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by KobrinFamily, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily New Member

Ok so I have a question my chuch is a KJV Bible user only are all Baptist churchs that way?? Just wondering?? I love this bord becuse I have some many questions I feel stupid too ask elsewere lol

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I understand your grammar correctly... NO not all Baptist churches are KJVOnly

3. RedWoodTree

RedWoodTree New Member

agreed, Not all are but I like KJV the best. lol.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Minority of Baptists would hold to a "KJV Only" position, more common would be a "KJV preferred" position...

majority of us would hold that KJV fine for use, just that some modern versions are more accurate and superior to use for study purposes!

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

No, some here are merely KJV Preferred, meaning that's the Bible they've always used and they see no reason to use another.

I fit the KJV by Default, catagory having been raised by KJVO parents. Most of my memory work was done in the KJV (the 80% I did as a child). I prefer to read from the NIV and sometimes can't remember which version a certain scripture I remember is from! :laugh:

I have quite a few different versions around the house and use them all occassionally. (even "The Message" :eek: ) Sometimes its useful to get a second opinion (or 3rd or 4th) when the language of the KJV isn't clear.

And then there is my attitude that if God can't preserve His Word through translation then how is He ever going to preserve my soul? (meaning I am the futherest thing from a KJVO that you can find. :) )

6. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This gets posted time and again with no proof whatsoever that this is true! *sigh*

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You do understand what a person's opinion is right? Is Jesusfan not entitled to that opinion. If you believe that KJV/NKJV is superior, that's fine too. It would be my opinion too that the modern version(like NASB, ESV) are superior. I say that because I believe they come from a better text and are more current to our language today. This of course is my opinion. My "proof" is better text(which is opinion as well) and closer to our language today(this is more objective).

#7 jbh28, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So would you then agree that the stories - parables etc - are outdated and need to be brought current?

9. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then POST it as "in my opinion some modern versions are more accurate and superior to use for study purposes!". Don't post it like it's a well known fact.

10. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

He did.."majority of us would hold that..."

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Why would you even ask that question? Please don't bring question like this in here. It serve no real purpose.

12. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well he's not speaking for me, and how does he know the majority feels that way? I don't find that true at all.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The KJVO position is clearly a minority position in Evangelical circles- whether we like it or not.

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you could rephrase your question I'm sure there are plenty of people who can contribute.

Glad to have you around. :saint:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do find it to be true, therefore I'm right :)

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's a simple question and you know exactly what he's asking...don't brow-bash him with your superior education for his grammar...completely immature and unnecessary on a christian board!

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

To answer the OP, no not all Baptists are KJV only. In fact I would say that position is declining. As more and more people see it as a baseless doctrine on the one hand, and many holding to it go further and further into the unbiblical doctrine of second inspiration, it is becoming more and more of a marginalized doctrine.

18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Dude, um, I wasn't doing any of that. I couldn't understand the question, honestly. There was something missing and I honestly wanted to know what the question was. I even included an appropriate emoticon to communicate. :)

Do you have something else you wish to talk with me about?

19. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, you did state this: (cut and pasted here)
    You do understand what a person's opinion is right? Is Jesusfan not entitled to that opinion. If you believe that KJV/NKJV is superior, that's fine too. It would be my opinion too that the modern version(like NASB, ESV) are superior. I say that because I believe they come from a better text and are more current to our language today. This of course is my opinion. My "proof" is better text(which is opinion as well) and closer to our language today(this is more objective

So again, I say, since you feel the language used is out of date, how about the Bible stories?? Are they out of date also??

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't understand how there is any connection.

The parables and Bible stories are the same no matter what language they are translated into. The KJV English does not use the same English as the Wycliffe Bible, but the Bible stories did not change. The time frame from the Wycliffe Bible to the KJV is roughly the same as the KJV to today. The stories don't update just because the language does.

I think this is an unfair misrepresentation of those who do not choose to use the KJV. We need mutual respect here.

#20 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.