1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJVO-Types Don't Use 17th Century English

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have wondered why those who are adamant about retaining the language of the KJV ( at least in one of its forms ) do not use this kind of language normally . They insist that KJV-talk is perfectly understandable . Some even say it is less difficult English than that which the MV's use . But then , out of the other side of their mouths , some of them claim that the wording of the KJV is at such a dignified and intellectual level that only illiterate individuals cannot grasp the renderings .

I know that these folks try to incorporate KJV-speak in their audible prayers . ( Sometimes with a mangled Elizabethan in the process :)

Why aren't all the hymns they sing in an old-tyme style of English ? Why would they dare to sing words in a more contemporary vein ( like Fanny Crosby :)

These and related questions are awaiting answers .

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry Rip,

The forum is to discuss versions and translations. The kind of discussion you are proposing deals with practices of one group outside of the discussions of versions and translations themselves.

I really have no choice but to close the discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.