1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJVOnly or KJV?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Baptist4life, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

You.....you....you mean to say that the Apostles didn't trust Scofield's notes that were in their KJV Bibles????

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

"Easter" is easier for an English speaking person to research than "pascha" being a Hebrew word in that The Resurrection is by no means The Passover. I will have to go on to say that The Passover is only historical info and the Book of Acts was written after The Resurrection.

Pascha does not mean "risen from the dead" while Easter does mean "The Resurrection"!:smilewinkgrin: :godisgood: :smilewinkgrin:

This may be rocket science for those who think the KJB translators made a "mistake":tongue3:

I prefer to be in the class of KJB only. I am judged as being "KJVO".

I'll stay with the KJB in all circumstances as I find the MV arguements quite silly: arguing in English for the Jewsih perspective concerning Christian understanding is.... well.... "_ _" -c-upid.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Since I am not a rocket scientist, I tend to let others fire missiles. I just give it as I see it.
    "Easter" and "Ostern" came to be used in Scripture, from the very brilliant minds of Tyndale and Luther, and from nowhere else, as that was what they were either (A.) accustomed to, in the case of Luther, and Tyndale followed suit in the rendering, or (B.) Luther (and Tyndale) chose to employ for the primary purpose of distancing themselves from the Catholic church, here. In fact, Tyndale used "efter" several times, and this rendering was dropped (in English) version by version, with fewer and fewer usages (and the accompanying better rendering as Passover) with each succeeding version, from TYN, through MAT, COV, GRT, and BIS. Whittingham had recognized this as a poor rendering, hence this word is not found in the GEN, at all.

And it is entirely artificial, to suggest that one could know exactly "when" Herod intended to release Peter, for the text simply does not support this in any manner, merely saying "μετα το πασχα" or after the pascha.

FTR, I have never said that the KJV translators made a "mistake" but that there is a better rendering, at least here. It is "Passover", and I suggest that the very versions I cited show that "Only" the German of Luther and the English of Tyndale really support this rendering.

Also I'm pretty sure that none of the versions I have cited are in what you refer to as "MV".

But I am happy to see that you finally admit to what you have been extolling here, since I've been reading some of your posts. There is no qualitative difference between "KJB-ONLY' and "KJB - in all circumstances" at least in my mind. I do presume you generally mean 'Saint Blaney' for your King James??

Ed

#123 EdSutton, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:love2: Saint Blayney?

I'll be celebrating Easter in a couple of months. Am I to believe all MV proponents will be celebrating pascha?:tongue3:

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, I can speak for no other, but in the church I am a member of and attend, we celebrate the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. (I personally have no idea what any other celebrates.)

We don't 'celebrate' Ishtar, nor do we celebrate Passover, in the OT sense. Our Passover, the Lord Jesus Christ, was sacrificed for us, once for all time, rose again, ascended into the heavens, and is now sat down at the right hand of the Father. We celebrate that resurrection every week, by worshipping on Sunday, we celebrate His resurrection every time an individual is baptized, and we celebrate His resurrection, when we have the Lord's Supper.

We, in our local church, in the same tradition as the early church, don't just celebrate His resurrection, one day a year!

And as I said, I can specifically speak about no other church, in this, except those I've had some extended association with over my 60 years, which number is still probably fewer than 20, most of which were at least 30 years ago, at that.

Ed

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Well, we have worn our the Easter/Pascha thing yet again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.