1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Knowledge

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

This is not athread against education or knowledge, get all you can, but the more I read what is said on here, the more I see how complicated "educated" men have made the simplicity of the gospel. I believe knowledge has become more detrimental to bringing people to Christ than helpful.

"Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth."

I believe also, that like the learned men in John 9 who cast out the blind man, we have obstructed the way of those weak in the faith and seeking Christ, by our conditions and judgements we pass on each other and scripture.
    And for my Calvinist friends, I also believe, "Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Thank God for Jesus and His willingness to correct our blunders like those made of the educated religious men of His day.

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
    :36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
    :37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
    :38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
    :40 And [some] of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
    :41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Let's pray God gives us more grace and charity, along with a whole lot more humility.

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

"Puffeth.." hee hee hee! One of my favorite words.
    Sorry...carry on....

love,

Sopranette

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess it depends on how you use that knowledge.

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, donnA ...

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Bump.

I started this thread to get thoughts about the subject from other BB members. Please contribute your thoughts if you have any. Thanks.

#5 Cutter, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think their responses were silly at all.

But, to your post.

What is it you're really trying to say.

That ThD's and DD's have complicated the simple message of the gospel ?

I agree.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Higher education and depth of commitment to Christ are not related in any way. Just observe the threads. Proverbs 1:7 says the beginning of all knowledge is the fear of the Lord. In that context, knowledge is a wonderful thing. Knowledge that leads to arrogance we can do without. All we discover or learn is a gift of God, and nothing we did to brag about.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, only the highly learned will probably find a way around what you said, SN.
    And I ain't nobody with no highfallutin' edjicashun.
    jist a brown skinned Flip who knows how to read, write, and do his 'rithmetic a little.

9. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This raises an interesting point. Once you have gained knowledge or an education, what do you do with it? Knowledge is really a type of tool that you can use to accomplish a variety of tasks. You can put it to use helping people, or you can use it like a club to beat people down. Or there are other things you can do with it. I am a carpenter by profession, and I use the knowledge I have gained to do my work. But, I have a college degree, and I have done some graduate work in sociology and theological ethics, but I don't have a degree. One of the things I have learned is the truth of Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 13.12, My knowledge now is partial. I don't agree with Paul on lots of things, or better, I don't agree with a lot of the ways in which Paul is interpreted. But on this point, he is right on the money.

The problem on this forum, as with some many similar discussion groups, is that too many people are not willing to allow others the latitude of differing opinions on various topics. In terms of the OP, it is not the knowledge that is detrimental. It is the way it is being used that is the problem. Many would not want to admit it, but everyone's knowledge is partial. The sooner we admit that, the better off we'll be.

Tim Reynolds

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

well excuse me. I'll make a mental note not to answer anymore of your questions if all I'm capable of is silly answers. I assume from your reply that our answers were silly because we are women. I'm not sure your reply was anymore intelligent.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Donna,
    I read your posts and they seem quite reasonable to me. Posting something that defines a group of people like women or any other group seems like someone who cannot evaluate someone as an individual. Hard to believe in this day and time.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

My apologies to you and PJ. When I originally read the responses I thought that you two were responding to the "puffeth" reference, then after someone quoted me and pointed out my error I went back and read your post. I changed my post and PMed Pinoy to edit his to reflect mine, but he had already signed off and when he signed back on his window of opportunity to edit his post had passed. I sincerely apologize and should have paid closer attention to the posts the first time I read them. I'm sorry.