1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Koinonia retreat

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Aug 20, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the thing that triggers the emotional high would be the fact they don't want people who have "... experiencing an emotional upheaval in their lives: i.e. divorce, alcoholism, job separation, death of a spouse, mental disorders; wait at least six months prior to attending a Koinonia weekend"

I understand on the wife's koinonia retreat, near the end of the eventk while all of the women are singing on the stage one last time, a curtain opens, and all of the husbands join in with their wives. Lot's of crying and emotionalism.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is the "k" at the end of your word "eventk" showing the Koinonia retreat's influence on you from afar, Webdog? Better watch it! LOL! :laugh:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wanted to bring this thread back after a couple years. Our church is still sponsoring it to the point actively promoting it and almost "taking it over". I have approached the elders who have all gone and they just tried to get me to go and say they monitor each weekend's speakers and content. There is definitely a different attitude in the congregation amongst those who have gone...lot's of hugs amongst the "fraternity" and handshakes for everyone else. Something inside me is not sitting right with me, and I dont' know if it's just me or not as the elders are all on board with it.

Has any of our newer members (or older ones) attended a Koinonia, Cursillo, Tres Dias, Walk To Emmaus, etc.? If so, what did you get from it?

4. Jeffriesw

Jeffriesw New Member

I have never heard of it, but This would send a real big red flag with me.

#44 Jeffriesw, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  5. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

I attended a Tres Dias in October 2004.

Crucillo, Tres Dias, and walk to Emmaus are all essentially the same. They do have roots in a Spanish RCC lay revival movement. Is the theology "Catholic", absolutely not. Is it "catholic" or universal, absolutely. For those who do not believe in one Lord, one faith, one baptism. Don' t go.

I thought it was an amazing experience. I would highly recommend it.

Is is a "Baptist" event? No. Is is a Christian event? Absolutely. It does rattle a few paradigms? Can you worship or pray with charismatics? If not, don't go.

The event is very tightly scheduled. Those of us who are uncomfortable loosing control of their own schedules learn a lot about relying on God. If you can't live without your cell phone or blackberry, don't go.

In our Tres Dias event the women attended the weekend before the men. One of the essential lessons that husbands learn is that they should look at and love love thier wives just like Christ loves the church. He sees us as spotless, without blemish, and worth dying for. We should regard our own wives in the same way.

If you don't think that your wife or the church is worth dying for, don't go.

There are a couple of lessons during the weekend on marraige that are amazing. i would very much like to have the lessons on marraige.

If you are totally convinced that there will only be "Baptists" in heaven, then you will be uncomfortable. Don' t go.

Just stay in your own space now and be surprised later.

Doe's it cost money? Yes, you get fed and housed for three days and two nights. You get to worship for three days and two nights. You get to hear testimonies, sermons and lessons. If you think that should all be free, don't go.

If you are uncomfortable with Christ washing your feet. Don't go. Maybe you will get to ask Peter about that later.

About palanca, if you are uncomfortable with the idea that people you have never met are willing to intercede for you in prayer and actions. Don't go.

On the other hand, go.

Des Colores. Put a light in your window.

#45 MNJacob, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback.
    So I'm clear, If I believe Ephesians 2:8-9, I believe in baptism and on Lord, I should go? Is that true for all believers? The fact is that those who attend are from many different denominations, therefore they are not all of "one faith" and in some cases do not even agree with method of baptism. You contradict yourself.
    ...is this due to the emotionalism and focus on love that was discussed earlier in the thread? Why does this experience take place outside of a person' local church?
    Does Scripture tell to worship in Spirit and in truth? How does this happen when full truth is not taught?
    Non sequitur. How does not having a phone or transportation equate to not relying on God? From what I gather, this is a common practice of new age.
    Why don't the husband and wives ever attend together if it's such a loving, bonding event?
    Give me a break :rolleyes:
    That sounds good...but why don't the husbands and wives do it together then?
    This is pure ignorance. There will be believers in Heaven. From what I understand Koinonia's focus is not on salvation, but on Christ's love. How do you even know you are there with believers if there is no testimony required?
    I can understand meals, but since when does worship and hearing testimonies require a fee? The cost of it per person is outlandish. Our local chapter does spring and fall retreats and lists revenue at 300,000. That's more then most churches bring in.
    Wow, Jesus and Peter are there?!?
    I'm uncomfortable with garnering false emotional highs, and I know this is a big part of palanca (a roman catholic term). Prayer of the righteous availeth much...the prayer of the unregenerate means nothing. I hear they get letters from friends and family regardless of whether they are believers or not.

#46 webdog, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  7. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

No problem. Don't go.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can't even if I wanted to, I'm not "sponsored" by someone and I have been going through some tough times in my life which they don't want in someone who attends the weekend. I guess Christ's love is only for those whose lives are problem free and giddy.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Web, several people at my church have attended Walk to Emmaus and highly recommended it to me. One person in particular kept after me to go, but when she explained how it was done and what they did, it creeped me out. It sounded too much like the methods cults use. I won't be going unless the Lord changes my heart about it. I just doesn't set right with me.

The woman that wanted me to go so badly left our church and is now attending a charismatic church.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I am acquainted with the "Walk to Emmaus" and I think you are off base. Of course that's my opinion.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Possibly. It wouldn't be the first time. :laugh:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How so?...

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I went on a "Walk to Emmaus" many years ago. I enjoyed fellowshipping with people who I did not know. They did not push anything on me or require any money (a friend wanted me to attend and paid the minimal charge). Nor did they attempt to sell me anything, nor push any denomination on me.

At first I was hesitant to participate, but I finally joined in and allowed myself to examine my walk with the Lord. I was definitely blessed.

I would recommend it to any Christian. After all, people who attend Baptist churches aren't the only ones who will be in heaven.

14. VentureForth

VentureForth New Member

I know this is an old thread, but since it's been resurrected two years later at least once, I don't feel so bad. Webdog, I think you should go. Maybe not to Koinonia but you should look into attending Tres Dias or the Walk to Emmaus if you are offered the opportunity.
    Please don't confuse "one faith" as different denominations and practices as being different faiths.

This sort of experience should take place in one's local church. But here's where I ask you - what is the local church? Is it the building you worship in on Sundays? Is the local church not the fellowship of believers? If your church building can only hold 100 people, are you limited to fellowshipping with those 100 people? If you are in a chuch building that seats 5,000 are you obligated to fellowship with all 5,000?

What is the "full truth"? Does Acts 2:21 not say that "that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved."? If this is the fundamental common denominator of salvation, can it alone not be taught and be acceptable?[/quote]

The last thing that I needed when I was at Tres Dias was any distraction from focusing on God. The sad thing is that often we should probably follow that example in our home - turn off your phone and computer for 24 hours and focus on God and see how that changes your life. No charasmatic praise service, no theological debates, just you, your Bible and God. Wouldn't that be awesome? But we live in the World...

Some offer the walk together (ie: the Presbyterian's Pilgrim Walk). But there are some things that, even as one flesh, we need to do separately. I mentioned this in another resurrected thread that I will always say my wife and I attended Tres Dias together - only on different weekends. The needs of a woman are completely different than the needs of the man. This is even recognized all throughout scripture.

I don't know about Koinonia, but Tres Dias requires a signature from your pastor on the application. This is dicipleship training for believers - not a conversion experience for the lost.

Our Tres Dias group charges the "candidate" or "pilgrim" $80 for the three day weekend. The workers pay $120 to serve. Every locality has a different payment scheme as it is set by the local board. Ours was certainly no higher than necessary to pay for use of the retreat and food. Not one person gained financially from the experience.

Jesus sure was! Holy Spirit, too.

Palance simply means "lever". It's a word that is used during these events to show that there are people who want to see God do a good work in you. They are pulling the lever to lift you up in encouragement. Palanca can be a candy bar that's prayed over for your sake or a letter.

I'm a die hard Baptist. I was born on Friday and in Church on Sunday where my Dad was a missionary in Japan. I've had a great opportunity to join friends in their various denominational churches, but have felt called to stay in the Baptist church. On my weekend, I spent it with 2 other Baptists and 30 Church of God. Am I going to CoG now? No. But I can sure fellowship with other Believers in Christ, and I'm glad I did.