1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kosmos

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by absturzen, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree and disagree. I believe that 'world' in these verses is not only all people but all of creation with reference to Romans 8:21 "because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God."

These verses say nothing about who will or will not believe nor who can or cannot be saved. They establish Christ as the uniquely qualified Saviour for the world.

To say that "world" means the "elect" is forcing scripture to fit doctrine.

To say that these verses establish that anyone by their own free will can be saved is adding a meaning which simply is not there.

All of these discussions about what "world" means stem from a false assumption that these verses have something to do with free will and election.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Will??? There is the elect. All who WILL. YOu emphasize the ALL to the exclusion of WILL. We believe it goes together ... that ALL WHO WILL may come. Those who won't, won't come. God does not save people against their will.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grateful4grace said:
    ... There is already a post started called Kosmos and here it is. You may add to it as you see fit. I also believe there was one started on the word All... I just have to go find it... I don't know if it was in this forum or another... Brother Glen [​IMG]

5. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

To my knowledge the Jews referred to Gentiles as the "world," and this is proven by some of their writings. Paul also made this obvious when he wrote, "Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?" (Rom. 11:12) In this passage, Paul uses the word "world" to mean everybody except the Jews. Therefore, the world, as Paul expresses in this verse, is not every man without exception.

Something I noticed the other day is that Abraham is referred to as "the heir of the world" and the "father of many nations." I think the implication is that Abraham was the Father of all nationalities, rightly constituting the world.

John wrote in his first epistle that Jesus was the propitiation for the sins of the whole world. In His Gospel (11:52) he wrote that Jesus was to gather his elect together which were scattered abroad (in all nations). In my humble opinion, the world and all the nations are synonomous. He has redeemed people *out of* (if that doesn't teach election, nothing does) all kindreds, tribes, nations, tongues, and people - THE WORLD. The Bible says that Jesus is the bread of life which gives unto the world. Oh really? Does He give life to the whole world? Obviously not because they're not all saved, but he gives it to His people which are in the world scattered abroad. It is a general statement. For example, most people would say that America is an immoral country, does that mean every single individual in America is immoral? No. It's a general statement. The Bible also states that He died to redeem unto Himself a "peculiar people." Well, did He do it? It says that He died to deliver us from this "present evil world." Did He do it? In other words, the advocates of a general atonement believe that God died for the world that He died to deliver us out of? That doesn't make good nonsense! He died that he might bring us to God. Did He do it???????