1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

la palabra de Dios

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spent the day yesterday with a Missionary to Pachuca, Mexico. I asked him about the Bible he uses and was amazed to find a conflict in Mexico about Bible versions.

Some use the Spanish Reina Valera from 1909, and others use the Spanish Reina-Valera Actualizada from 1960. Neither one of these versions are KJV based, making this a non-KJVO issue. Still, there are those (Missionaries and nationals) who will not fellowship with those using the other version.

I haven't had the time to study the issue myself. I was hoping someone might give some insight and save me some time.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1960 revision, it is alleged, adopted a number of readings from the Critical Text.

Even the 1909 version doesn't cut the mustard with some:

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/reina-valera.htm

http://www.biblebelievers.com/Spanish/comparison_spanish-texts.html

Eugene Nida, executive secretary of the American Bible Society's Translations Department, plays the role of both Westcott and Hort as target for the TR-only movement in Spanish. (Interestingly, it appears that this issue is important among American missionaries much moreso than it is to native Spanish-speaking Christians.)

A defense of the 1909 and 1960 RVs, which argues that they are overwhelmingly TR-based documents:

http://amen.net/lb/english/excerpts.htm

And, of course, there has been more than one attempt to translate the NT into Spanish from the KJV.

One recent example is that produced by missionary Bernard McVey, a volume called "Biblia Autorizada Del Rey Jaime 1611."

3. Anti-Alexandrian

Pastor_Bob,check into the 1865 Cipriano de Valera..This Spanish version(from the TR)was done before the textual critisism/rationalism of W&H and their ilk.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

"I asked him about the Bible he uses and was amazed to find a conflict in Mexico about Bible versions."
    ''
    Bible version conflicts are in fact rather common worldwide. It's the whole circus that surrounds the KJV debate that is unusual.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Much of the circus concerning the Spanish Bible used by Spanish-speaking North Americans is in fact an extension of the KJV controversy in English. Apparently it's not enough that KJV-onlyism is a pernicious blight on the English-speaking church; it has to infect other languages as well.

6. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I've been told that the KJVO school Landmark Baptist College in Haines City, FL, which also has a Spanish Department, had some kind of split over this issue of Spanish versions. I've also been told that some are asserting a Spanish version based on the KJV, as the only version for the Spanish speaking world! [​IMG] So, since there's no distinction in the Greek for the Holy Spirit/Ghost, the Spanish version translates where the KJV does "Ghost" effectually, "Holy Phantom"
    as Ransom would say, "You gotta laugh!" [​IMG] or we oughhta cry too! [​IMG] What madness.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yup. I believe folks in the Netherlands and Germany have had a similar situation. The "my translation is better than your translation" arguement nearly as old as Christianity itself.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Doug Kutilek's take on the "Rey Jaime" Version

You gotta get a load of this one! Highlights:

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin George, author of The Battle for the Spanish Bible referenced above, has noted the divisiveness this dispute has caused:

CARTER'S LETTER

Steve Brogdon, a missionary to Mexico, has noted this:

FULL LETTER

All these comments, and many similar, are from staunch defenders of the TR.