1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Labyrinth Walking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, May 9, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [edited]

Was Jesus following pagan religious practices when he went off alone to pray and meditate?

Blessings.

[edited to remove counter accusation and reply to Aaron's post; JonC]

#21 Crabtownboy, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The Labyrinth isn't just walking along and praying. It originates in Greek pagan worship and has been adopted by mystics and apostate churches. It is a "strange fire" before the Lord and not something He commanded to be done or was exampled in the lives of the Apostles as seen in Holy Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree, because of the association it is not at all the best, and as you state can be of "strange fire."

Again, I have no problem with strolling in the evening with God. I have a problem with some "method" or theme in which engaged will supposedly get me into some mindset of worship.

The same carries over into music and other medias.

We are to come boldly, honestly, and with assurance to the one on one fellowship with God. That same estate as Adam was before the fall.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've used a labyrinth experience in the past and will occasionally use it when the opportunity arises. There is something meaningful about being able to walk, pray, contemplate, and find quiet to hear how God continues to speak.

There are a couple of prayer labyrinths I know of, one locally and another about two hours away. Whats ironic is when I've traveled to England to work with some friends in ministry there, I've been able to find them more regularly. Recently, we took a number of college students on a mission trip and had them, as part of a spiritual formation exercise, utilize a labyrinth. They found it very beneficial.

Just thought, but from what I've encountered here (and elsewhere in the grand worldwide web), the default too many Christians seems to be criticism of anything new or different from their experience. Perhaps we should realize that just calling something "pagan" or "new age" doesn't actually provide a meaningful critique. Christianity has, since its inception, borrowed customs and traditions from non-Christian forms and practices to add value to individual and corporate worship. This issue is no different.

Oh, and my wife has a weekly yoga class she attends. Rolleyes

5. ReformedBaptist

"Just thought, but from what I've encountered here (and elsewhere in the grand worldwide web), the default too many Christians seems to be criticism of anything new or different from their experience."

Preachinjesus -

I think you are quite mistaken. What we have done, largely, is show how these practices (Yoga included) are contrary to the teaching of Scripture...we are NOT comparing experience to experience. This would be to place existentialism as our philosophy. God forbid.

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20.

The Christianity you speak of is not biblical Christianity. It is not the faith of the prophets, apostles, and of our Lord Jesus Christ. Friend, repent of these things. Do not mix the unholy things of this world with the holy things of God. For your own sake and for that of your wife also.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

If a labyrinth enriches your walk with God, then use it. To me, it does not. It's just boring.

7. ReformedBaptist

"If a labyrinth enriches your walk with God, then use it. To me, it does not. It's just boring"

Zenas -

Two of the reasons given so far in favor of including this practice into the holy worship of the true and Living God have been existential and pragmatic. Your statement is truly a pragmatic statement and enigmatic of the spirit of the age we live in. The mind today is, "If it feels good, do it." "If it works, it is good." Rather than asking if it pleases the Lord and is according to His revealed truth in Holy Scripture, we end up going in the other direction and become lovers of pleasure and lovers of ourselves rather than lovers of God.

This is the danger in such reasoning.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You haven't shown that these are inherently bad nor contrary to Scripture. Personal, meditative time is a benefit in our spiritual growth and various disciplines and exercises can help us with this. Using time in solitude to contemplate our lives is important. You are hard pressed to show comprehensively, and not with proof texting, that various practices are, in fact, unscriptural or prohibited for Christians. Instead you're foisting your isolated western experience in Christianity (this isn't said negatively but as a point of discussion) onto others and expecting them to cede the ground to you. As I have been able to travel, study, and talk with other Christians I have found that my experience is limited and that exposure to them and their faith journeys always helps.

Existentialism isn't inherently bad. Again, you're speaking broadly about something that requires more nuancing. One of my favorite writers is Soren Kierkegaard who was the father of Christian existentialism. He has wonderful things to write.

Well I'm glad to know that, through one post, you've been able to comprehensively evaluate my personal spiritual and theological journey and can confidently tell me that I am not a "biblical Christian." Thank you for that.

Quite simply you are unfamiliar with the actual faith experiences and practices of many Christians. These things are not bad and they certainly not unbiblical. Perhaps before you go around accusing others and commanding repentance from an isolated, western 20th century view of the Christian faith, you might take some time to involve yourself with others. Go visit our brothers and sisters in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, sit with some friends from Renovare or L'Abri, have coffee with a Mennonite, talk with friends from Asian churches, and pursue other Christians and you'll discover there is a larger canopy of faith with many wonderful practices and exercised that will strengthen our mutual faith. I do not share your limited view of Christianity, please don't hold me to it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ReformedBaptist

So, rather than repent of these things you praise them. The practices you describe, that of the Eastern Orthodox churches, RCC, et. are so far outside of biblical Christianity it is a wonder men are deluded by them.

Your welcome for helping you see your condition a little better. I encourage you to continue to compare the things you are doing with Scripture and see what you and others do are found in the text of Scripture. If not, repent.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why risk it? Labyrinth walking has no precedent in Scripture. So why play with it?

And there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between Eastern meditation (emptying your mind) and Biblical meditation (filling your mind with God's word and thinking it over ).

That's one of the things I had to guard against in some of my martial arts studies. Be careful what you play with.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a serious charge. Do you really think an SBC seminary would hire someone that's into "New Age stuff"?

Dorothy Patterson of SWBTS calls Christian George's book Sacred Travels "a life changing volume." In it he describes his labyrinth walking:

"Occasionally when I take a spiritual retreat or pilgrimage, I come across a prayer garden. Within this garden is often a small stone labyrinth. Its purpose is simple yet profound: to lead the pilgrim to the center. As I walk the narrow trail, back and forth between the windy rocks, each step I take leads me closer to the center of the circle. This prayer garden is a tool used to train the mind to focus on God and eliminate the distractions of the world."

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Job, Daniel, the Hebrew Three, Paul and Silas in jail . . . it was labyrinth-walking.

Wait ...

• Agree Agree x 1