1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lamentations 3:37-38 and God's sovereignty

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Diving right in as a newcomer and I was wondering if this passage in Lamentations had seen some discussion on here?
    If so, maybe someone could provide the link.
    If not, then perhaps we could talk about it.

I have found very little commentary in my internet searches that provides a non-Calvinistic understanding to this passage.
    I too understand this passage as proclaiming God's sovereignty over all things, including man's choices.
    How do you understand it? Or what commentaries have you read that offer other interpretations?

2. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Welcome Isaiah, nice to meet you.

37 Who can speak and have it happen
    if the Lord has not decreed it?
    38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High
    that both calamities and good things come?

That's easy man. :) It's two questions. The answer to the first 37 Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? Man can. haha!
    The answer to the second 38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come? "No, of course not." :)

That God is the Author of sin, how do you read it? :)

john.

3. Isaiah40:28

Sorry, I was under the impression that people on here actually put time and thought into their posts.
    Apparantly some, not so much.

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Don't be sorry just answer my question Isaiah. A lot of thought goes into my replies, maybe you need to get up to speed.

37 Who can speak and have it happen

How do you read it?

john. :)

5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hello Isaiah. John is serious I think, when he says God is the author of sin. He is one of the rare calvinists who believe that. I personally believe that God uses sin for His purposes, but He does it in a way that He is not the author of sin. Welcome to the bb.

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I am, thanks reformed. :)

Only cause they shot the others.

Keeping His Hands clean? Cool. :) For God has bound all men over to disobedience... Rom 11:32.

Again, welcome Isaiah.

john.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Still there Isaiah? Hop on board and stay awhile.

Lamitations 3:37 Who can speak and have it happen

He is with us always. Will He forsake us? He is there with us in the bad times, and the good times. We suffer for the cause of Christ, and in Him is the "good news" we in the "Body of Christ. The lost "suffer" by themselves, and are happy in rebellion in Satan, who is for self only.

Can we speak if God did not "decree it"? He decrees today we preach the Cross, of believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for our salvation. Do we believe this? Yes we in Christ do? ……..Do the lost believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation?………From His mouth to us will come "thou good and faithful servant". From His mouth to all others I'm not allowed to say, as I don't know. All the worldly lovey dovey overly affectionate crowd, will find our God is a God of Justice, the words will be damning given in pure righteous justice, and know it "ain't" going to be pretty.

Goodies are waiting for us, but great loss and misfortune for them. He speaks and it happens.

8. Isaiah40:28

IMO, this is the part that lacks serious thought.

As far as God being the author of sin, Vincent Cheung advocates that idea and seems to fit into the Reformed community with little trouble.
    I personally don't subscribe to that view and am more interested in how non-Calvinists exegete this passage.

9. Isaiah40:28

So, what exactly was your answer to that question?

10. Isaiah40:28

So is this passage too damaging for the non-Calvinists to interact with? :smilewinkgrin: