1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Land Says Little Support For Giuliani

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Martin, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Richard Land, of the Southern Baptist Convention, has stated that he does not believe Giuliani will be able to gain support from conservative Christians. Why? Because of his divorce record.

"I mean, this is divorce on steroids," Land said. "To publicly humiliate your wife in that way, and your children. That's rough. I think that's going to be an awfully hard sell, even if he weren't pro-choice and pro-gun control."-SOURCE

I believe this next election will divide the true conservatives from the false. True conservatives will not vote for a liberal Giuliani, for a unstable McCain, or for a flip-flopping Romney. True conservatives would not sacrifice their vote simply to win an election. After all if conservatives win an election by supporting a liberal then they have just helped elect a liberal to office. George W Bush's election and administration should have taught conservatives this lesson. Bush claimed to be pro-life, he claimed to be pro-small government, and he claimed to oppose nation building. Yet, since being elected, Roe v. Wade is still on the books, the federal government has grown and become more centralized, and our military is involved in nation building in at least two countries (not to mention the millions and millions of dollars we are giving away to other countries). So if we want a conservative government we must support a conservative candidate. If we do this then a conservative candidate can actually win the election. I wonder why Christians are not behind a candidate like Gov. Huckabee? Or why we are not drafting Alan Keyes? Why are we content with these liberal candidates the Republican party insists we vote for?

My brother told me that he is voting for Ronald Reagan in '08. Unless the Republican party improves their candidate list I will probably be voting for Donald Duck in '08. Hey, a cartoon duck could not damage the country any more than George W Bush (R) and Bill Clinton (D) have.

What's the old saying? If you go to bed with the dogs don't be surprised when you wake up with fleas.

Shame on us for our compromise!! Shame!!

#1 Martin, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Very well said Martin. Besides Ron Paul, there are some solid conservatives running as well, without needing to draft someone. They don't seem to garner the same media celebrity status as certain liberals with "R"s next to their names. Duncan Hunter, Tom Tancredo and Jim Gilmore would come to mind as excellent alternatives to a philandering proponent of aborting babies.

Count of wives:
    Duncan Hunter - 1 (Married 33 years)
    Tom Tancredo - 1 (Married to Jr High School sweetheart)
    Jim Gilmore - 1 (Married 30 years)
    Total wives of actual conservatives = 3

Rudy Giuliani - 3 (1 cousin, 1 TV personality, 1 pharmaceutical manager + 1 allegation from wife 2 of an affair with a staff member + rooming with two sodomite friends)
    Total wives of a liberal with an R next to his name = 3

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I had never heard of Ron Paul until someone on this board, don't recall who, provided a link to his website. I must admit that he is my perfect candidate (as far as I could tell). If he would run for president I would be a strong supporter of his.

Ron Paul Exploratory Committee

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It's going to take a grass-roots word of mouth support of the people as he will likely not get much in the way of media exposure as the media wants the Barack, Hillary, Rudy, McCain types. He's got my support and I intend to work for him where I can, for I believe him to be the last best hope for freedom in America.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won't vote for Rudy under any circumstance. McCain...I wouldn't vote for him without some major convincing. Romney--not my first choice, but I'd rather have him than Rudy or McCain.

Ideally, though, I wish the GOP would nominate a viable conservative candidate.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

wow I agree

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good to see a major Southern Baptist leader come out against 3 wives Guiliani.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care! I don't care who someone is sleeping with, what drug they tried when they where 21, what their favorite color is or what church they attend. I want to know if they can govern. Rudy can absolutely govern. New York before 9/11, before Guiliani was a mess. He came in and cleaned things up, got on budget and made New York a better place to live. That is what I want from my government.

I don't know if I will vote for him or not, but I won't lose a wink of sleep over the his marriages/ affairs whatever.

#8 go2church, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I am at it....I hate those stupid (some would say illegal) little voter guides that ask the city dog catcher if he is pro-life or not...who cares when I am voting for dog catcher I want to know one thing - can he/she catch dogs better then the other guy?

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree that it does not matter what he did twenty five years ago. However what he does/believes now DOES matter. Guiliani is a liberal and self respecting, uncompromising conservative would ever vote for him. The reason so many conservatives are supporting him is simple. They are focusing on winning and not on morals. They have become dangerously pragmatic. Of course I suppose we should not be surprised. After all the modern evangelical church is doing the same thing. If something works "do it", it really does not matter if it is Biblical or not. That type of pragmatic attitude is dangerous for believers in the church, it is dangerous for conservatives at large, and it is dangerous for the nation.

==Mayor and President are two very different offices. I would not object to Guiliani as a mayor at all. However I don't want yet another Republican liberal sitting in the White House. Have we not learned our lesson the hard way with the liberal George W Bush?