1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Language School

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USMC71, Jul 4, 2006.

1. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

This question is for you missionaries out there. Is there a language school for you in your country or service? Was there one there when you arrived. How long did you spend in study until you preached your first message?
    I have been in Sri Lanka for a year and a half. This country is very new to Biblical Missions and the Gospel message. Sinhala is only known to the people of this country. We have no formal language school here. The British Counsel just recently started Sinhala classes, but they are very, very basic. We are at the point of trying to find a good, language tutor. What we have learned, we have learned our own. Three of our four kids can read, write and speak Sinhala (speaking is very basic). My wife and I can both read, write and speak (speech is very basic). I will be attempting to preach my first sermon tomorrow in the Sinhala language, I would appreciate your prayers, as this is a big step of faith for me.

As some of you may know, Biblical language is very different from day to day language. I feel like I am learning two seperate languages. Pretty hard for an Ole Jar Head.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

We have more than one language school in Argenitna, and I plan to study at one for at least 6 months before moving to the city in which we will work. I also hope to hire an accent reduction therepist as well.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, USMC71.

This is another thread of yours I posted a reply in and it got lost in cyberspace. I'll try again.

Ah yes, language school. Japan has many of them fortunately, so we are not quite the pioneers you are. Our language school was the oldest and best in Japan, but it was down in Tokyo, 2 hours one way. I'd ride a bike to the station, hop a train, transfer to the hub train down in Tokyo during rush hour. It would get so crowded that "pushers" are needed to push the last people onto the train, mashing back everyone inside.

All in all, those two years of language school was a great experience for me. I found out that I loved languages, met fascinating people from many countries, gave out Bibles and tracts to people from the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, etc.

I preached my first "official" message, all written out and checked by my teacher, after 1 year and 3 days in Japan. Two junior high boys came forward for salvation, so praise the Lord!

So, how did your first sermon go?

4. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Well, it went for ten minutes, Amen. It took three days of preparation but I got through it with only one word mispronounced. You should have seen the look on their faces, they were so pleased and excited for me. I am going to try it again next month, I will see if I can speak longer. It is hard with out a solid school to learn from, so we do what we can. Not many are trying to learn the language, it is probably out of frustration, especially when words change constantly over here. Already there have been words I have learned that they are not using anymore. We have Old Sinhala, which is spoken in the villages, we have new Sinhala, which the youth is learning, we have High Sinhala, which the rich and politicians use and we have Sinhalish, a mixture of English and Sinhala. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    Anyway, I believe that the sun will rise tomorrow and it will come together, sometime before the trumpet sounds.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well amen, brother. I'm thrilled for you! Keep on keeping on for Jesus!:thumbs: :thumbs:

And in Japan, we have "Japlish." A cafe near our house has a Japlish name: "Hurl Cafe" written in English! :laugh: