1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Laptop/Sound Board Help Needed

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by GBC Pastor, Jan 11, 2010.

1. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Ok. I recently hooked up my HP laptop to our church soundboard to start recording our am/pm services. However, I am not getting a clear recording because the built in mics on my laptop are picking up sound on top of the lapel mic. How do I turn the laptop mics off and still record through the lapel mic? I have tried everything I can think of, but when I mute or disable the built in mics it will not record the lapel mic.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have used an external sound device made by Creative. It has a "line in" where I can plug anything I want to record into.

What I currently use is an mp3 player from Creative called a ZenV, like THIS one. It has a line in for recording. After the service, I connect it to my computer, move the recording to my computer, edit it, save it as an mp3 and upload it to the web. Works great!

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be sure you are plugged into the mic jack and not a line in jack.

Go to control panel/sound and there should be either there or in advanced settings a slider control to turn the mic down. There may be a place to deal with recording level itself.

If there is no happiness there you could try electrical/duct tape over the mic hole, that should cut it down quite a little if not at all.

Of course there is one further method but your mic would probably not survive for future use - paper clip in the hole and stir a little :tongue3:

One final thought, be sure your plug is plugging in properly into the mic connector on the laptop as most I've run into, if you plug a jack in it automatically disconnects the build in.