Laptop/Sound Board Help Needed

Discussion in 'Computers & Website Forum' started by GBC Pastor, Jan 11, 2010.

1. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor
    Expand Collapse

Ok. I recently hooked up my HP laptop to our church soundboard to start recording our am/pm services. However, I am not getting a clear recording because the built in mics on my laptop are picking up sound on top of the lapel mic. How do I turn the laptop mics off and still record through the lapel mic? I have tried everything I can think of, but when I mute or disable the built in mics it will not record the lapel mic.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher
    Expand Collapse

I have used an external sound device made by Creative. It has a "line in" where I can plug anything I want to record into.

What I currently use is an mp3 player from Creative called a ZenV, like THIS one. It has a line in for recording. After the service, I connect it to my computer, move the recording to my computer, edit it, save it as an mp3 and upload it to the web. Works great!

3. exscentric

exscentric
    Expand Collapse

Be sure you are plugged into the mic jack and not a line in jack.

Go to control panel/sound and there should be either there or in advanced settings a slider control to turn the mic down. There may be a place to deal with recording level itself.

If there is no happiness there you could try electrical/duct tape over the mic hole, that should cut it down quite a little if not at all.

Of course there is one further method but your mic would probably not survive for future use - paper clip in the hole and stir a little :tongue3:

One final thought, be sure your plug is plugging in properly into the mic connector on the laptop as most I've run into, if you plug a jack in it automatically disconnects the build in.