1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Laptop vs Ipad

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by pocadots1990, Jun 22, 2012.

1. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

We are looking at purchasing an ipad for work. I process payroll and am out of the office alot for training purposes. I usually take a laptop with me, but can't always get connected to the network.

With either one, our agency uses Citrix to gain remote access to our computers. By going with AT&T, we will be able to access the internet via Wifi or 4g connection (as long as we are in an At&T location).

Another reason for this is because a few months ago, we had a person from our office die from an accident, and the executive staff needed personnel information on this person. With an ipad on laptop, we could have gotten the information to the people quicker than someone going into the office.

Being in WV, we are not always guaranteed to have Wifi access so that is why I was thinking about the ipad.

Talking with AT&T reps today, they said for being more tech savvy, use a laptop and for the tech challenged, use the ipad.

Your thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I have both an iPad and a laptop PC.

Both are wireless. My typing skills on the laptop are much better than on the iPad, but I do like the iPad for portability reasons.

Another pro for the iPad is the long battery life. I can charge it overnight, and it stays charged for up to 10 hours depending on what I am doing with it. I can last longer if I turn it off when not needed, so that is a plus.

My laptop only has a two hour battery life, so I have to carry the cord if I am planning to use it more than two hours.

The iPad has a great program for documents called Pages. Does all that MS Windows does, in my opinion.

My suggestion? Go with the iPad.

3. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

Are there any "hidden" costs for having an ipad? Will I have to go with www.gotomypc.com to access my stuff or will the Citrix where I am suffice?

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Not really any hidden costs, but applications can bite into the wallet if you get crazy with them.

The Pages app cost 9.99, which is not bad at all compared to MS Words' cost.

There is a nifty app called Disc Aid, which, when used with an app called File App, will allow you to sync your MS Word docs with your iPad so you can read past docs on your iPad. Don't remember price of it, but was not too much.

Most apps are 99 cents t0 2.99. Some are a little higher. Most I paid for an app was for my Alexander Scourby KJ Bible, which cost me 19.99.

There are many free apps that one can check out that will allow you to unlock full version for anywhere from .99 to 1.99 if you like the lite version.

I recommend the iPad. Very lightweight, and as I said, longer battery life.

#4 Steadfast Fred, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012