1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Last 12 verses of Mark

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JerryL, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Massive manuscripts going back to 2nd Century contained these passages. A few manuscripts going back to 4th Century removed them. The question: According to Jack Moorman, are we really to believe that the Gospel of Mark would end in verse 8 with the words, "for they were afraid"?

2. standingfirminChrist

I do not believe the original manuscripts omitted the last twelve verses of Mark 16.

To omit them leaves one hanging... what happened next? Am I going to have to buy the next book of the series to find out?

No, since Mark was his own writer, he would not have left the readers hanging. He would have told the blessed story of the resurrection of our Lord.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What are the names of those manuscripts (MSS) which contain these verses?

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for correcting me, Ed. I have the first edition of Hodges-Farstad, and I simply overlooked the footnote.

I guess it depends on how you define "eclectic." Currently, however, scholars of textual criticism use the term to define a methodology. By that methodology, all text families and all manuscripts are given weight (though it may be different weight based on the presuppositions of the critic).

On the other hand, the Byzantine/Majority texts that are out there (Robinson-Pierpont, Hodges-Farstad) have a methodology of sticking to one textual family versus the others. Thus, if the mss of the Byz/Maj tradition give primary consideration to mss from that family, and never choose a reading if the Alexandrian text family has it when the Byz/Maj does not.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In "Against the Pelagians II" Jerome refers to a lot of Scripture, including Mark 16:14 where he comments, "Even the Apostles showed unbelief and hardness of heart."
    Oh, but I love to preach Mark's Great Commission on furlough!
    And that's the truth! Thanks for the laugh. [​IMG]

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Thanks, John. I went and saw it too--this appears to be strong evidence for including these vv.

2. I've preached from them before, but since going to seminary, I haven't. Now that doesn't speak well of seminary education, does it? :smilewinkgrin:

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

If you want to discuss the cannon, what about the 7 Apochraphal books which were included in the Authorized 1611 KJV? Who decided what is ultimately in the cannon? Also, it's generally accepted that the Catholic version of the Lord's prayer ending with "but deliver us from evil" is the more correct version.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually, you put the powder, wadding and cannon ball in the cannon. :smilewinkgrin:

But seriously, God's believers, His priests in this dispensation, decided what should be in the canon as the Holy Spirit led them. That's why all the early churches eventually agreed on it.
    Generally accepted? Catholic version? Where in the world did you hear this?? There are a lot of us out here, including recognized scholars, who believe the longer ending is the more correct ending.

#68 John of Japan, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BB,

1. I have to agree with John on this one. Since the 2nd century there have been debates about what should be in and what should not be in.

2. Do you want to see a copy of the Marcion canon? I don't think you would like to.

3. Providentially, God has seen to it that what should be in, are in the canon that we now have.

4. Though 1611 was a great moment in church history, it has little to do with the canon, IMO, for the 11611 was built on the canon that was already established. The 1611 KJV was not a new version. :thumbs:

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Therefore, the Apochrapha should be in the Protestant Bible. Correct? The only point I was making is that there have been more than one cannon.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How did you get that conclusion from what I wrote? Do you know what the Apocraphal books are and how they came about?

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

You make the same mistake I did. Actually both versions are in the KJV Bible.

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven. Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread. Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Luk 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Luk 11:3 Give us day by day our daily bread. Luk 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that Luke has a different version of the Lord's Prayer than Matthew in no way negates the massive manuscript evidence (going back to the 1st century Didache) that the longer ending of the Lord's Prayer in Matthew is the correct one. The fact is, the sermon in Luke is not the "Sermon on the Mount" but the "Sermon on the Plain," given at a different time and in a different place. (Compare Matthew 5:1 to Luke 6:17.)

But all of that is off topic. If you wish to start a new thread on the Lord's Prayer or the Sermon on the Mount/Plain, go right ahead and I'll contribute when I can. Bring your "cannon." You'll need it. :cool:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John,

The Didache is a very intriguing document, from its very date to its contents. Fascinating, I say!

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt! I've always been entrigued by it. I first became aware of it when I bought J. B. Lightfoot's The Apostolic Fathers in my younger days. Good show, eh what? :type:

16. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TCGreek,

re: "Personally, nothing is lost if vv. 9-20 turn out not to be genuine at all, for the truths of those verses are taught in other places..."

Actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV has it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I reconsidered the other Synoptic Gospels and John and saw what you're saying. But from the very mood of text, there's no doubt that Jesus was raised on the day after the Sabbath, the first day of the week.

2. Furthermore, we can engage on what three days look like regarding the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.