1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Last book of the Bible to be written - is NOT Revelation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Polycarp states that John wrote the book of Revelation while at Patmos and when he returned from Patmos to Ephesus (after the death of Emperor Domitian) - he wrote his Gospel of John.

That is just the historic record from one who personally knew John and was instructed by him.

This causes no problems for Bible believing Christians - because there is no Bible text that says that the 1Cor 12 gifts ended with the book of Revelation.

in Christ,

Bob

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They ended near the end of the first century.
    You are straining at gnats. And that is not the topic of this thread.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I pointing to inconvenient historic details showing that historically Revelation is not the last book of the Bible that was written - since the historic fact is that the Gospel of John was written at Ephesus after Patmos - and the book of Revelation was written at Patmos while Emperor Domitian was alive.

Your idea of claiming that historic facts are "gnats" and "not the topic" of a thread that is specifically addressing the historic fact that Revelation was not the last book of the Bible to be written is.... "instructive" for the unbiased objective reader. Making stuff up is not the all-encompassing solution that some may have at first hoped.

in Christ,

Bob

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What have I made up Bob?
    Your claims are dubious at best.
    I am giving you the benefit of the doubt at best even if I don't believe the half of what you say. You haven't convinced me.

IOW, suppose John wrote his gospel after Revelation (which I don't believe), then that doesn't prove an earlier date for Revelation. John lived past 98 A.D., and still had time to write his gospel even if he lived longer. The fact is that he definitely wrote Revelation on the Isle at Patmos, where he was exiled by Domitian. The time frame was in the 90's.

Concerning spiritual gifts there is plenty of Scripture, historical evidence, etc. to give to demonstrate that they ceased at the end of the first century. One of the strongest evidences is the completion of the canon of scripture itself. Many of those gifts were given because the canon was not yet given. Therefore they have ceased. Their purpose is no longer needed. Those who exercise them are adding to the word and are false prophets. They are speaking heresy.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The part we agree with is that John wrote Revelation on Patmos - in the 90's while exiled by Domitian.

You are on that same page - right?

You seem to be arguing for it - as if it is a point of difference.

My point is that Polycarp reports that John then goes back to Ephesus and writes the Gospel of John.

Just the historic fact.

in Christ,

Bob

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most people believe that once he was exiled on the Isle of Patmos, he lived and died there.
    However, even if he did go back to Ephesus and write the Gospel of John after Revelation, what difference would it make. Almost all agree on this one point--that all of his writings were completed in the 90's.