1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LAST SUPPER Painting isn't that a.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Yep, you can just about see his face at the far left of the painting... [​IMG]

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every painting of John from that era has him looking feminine. That is the way they painted people who they assumed were young (based on John outliving the other apostles).

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

MNW

What do you mean "in some copies" there is the original painting and prints. The copies should be the same as the original.

To me it does not look like a woman. It looks like a young boy with long hair. In fact it looks just like Jesus is pictured in the painting with out the beard. If John looks like a woman in this pic then Jesus looks like a bearded woman in this picture. [​IMG]

Also notice everybody looks fair skined and blond. I think davinchi is leaving clues that Jesus and all the apostles were northern european and somebody covered it up. ;)

4. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

here DeeJay here are many different paintings. see what i mean?

Picture link

[ April 07, 2006, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

If that isn't a female why is the guy next to "him" touching him that way?

Close up picture link

[ April 07, 2006, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Don't know. Maybe he just placed his hand on his shoulder and as it appears is whispering something to him?

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

OR, if it is a female, and Jesus' wife that guy is touching her inappropriatly.

Looking at this painting, I think the room was noisy. I can see myself puting my hand on my buddies shoulder this way to talk into his ear. I can not see putting my hand on my buddies wifes shoulder to talk into her ear.

I think the touch is evidence this is John not Mary.

[ April 07, 2006, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

One of the reasons Dan Brown says this is a woman is because of the way he/she is leaning away from Jesus making a V.

For some reason that I missed he says the V reprisents woman? Anybody know why?

I think davinchi made the V so we could see out the window. My opinion.

9. mnw

mnw New Member

Old Dan explains the V thing and it is not appropriate for a public forum.

As for the touching going on. It is said that it is an aggressive gesture, as if "Peter" wants to cut off Mary's head.

A large emphasis is placed on goddess worship. The gnostic teachings point toward Mary as being the one on whom Christ would give special revelation and later build his church. This attacking gesture, (so called), is meant to depict Peter's jealosy and anger at being pushed aside in favour of a woman.

Much of what is in Dan Brown's book and the gnostic teachings is very sexually orientated. But as I said, as a public forum this is not the place for it.

Suffice to say, with this book, and soon the film, teaching that a sexual experiance is essential to knowing and experiancing God it will do nothing to help the promiscuous culture in which we live.

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Oh.........

I understand now.

11. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I am wondering why they all sat on the same side of the table!

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Get their picture took [​IMG]

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more time....the secrets, the conspiracies, the veiled codes in the art....that's Dan Brown's issues.

Not Leonardo Da Vinci's.

Some of you here need to take some art history lessons or at the very least some art appreciation lessons to understand that people were not always painted like you would paint them in a "portrait".

Leonardo Da Vinci did not paint Mary into The Last Supper. But Dan Brown wants you to believe that he did.

Some of us, it appears, have believed him.

14. mnw

mnw New Member

We need, to a degree, to remove Dan Brown out of the equation. he did not create any of these grand conspiracy theories, he just opened them up to a wider audience. They have been around for many years. Some of the roots that tie into these things were in existance since before Christ.

That's right, painters have always used various techniques and styles in their art. As someone has already said, Jesus is often painted as blue eyed with blonde hair.

Speaking of art appreciation. When you look at some of Da Vinci's other pieces and other painters that preceeded and followed him, there are some peculiar features that link them together.

Now, whether Da Vinci really was really a part of this mess is almost a side issue. I am not saying I believe he is, but there does appear to be something going on. All I have posted is what others have said.

The approach of, "That's just what Dan Brown says." will not be enough to stem the attack that is going to come.

The attacks will be specific and the measured response from believers ought to be specific also.

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Thanks scarlett, like i said i have never read this Brown book or the di vinci code or anything like it. my question wasn't even close to these issues but to the ORIGINAL painting by Leonardo Da Vinci and his Catholic influence of putting Mary in there as a form of worship! I still think if it is John he lloks way to femine (notice the neckless around his neck) and the gesture by the guy next to him is inappropiate.

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying. But if we take Dan Brown out of the conspiracy, then we also have to take Leonardo Da Vinci out as well.

I know that these conspiracy theories have been around a long time. And Dan Brown is very dangerous because he presents them as factual and his historical "re-writes" are also presented as fact.

I just don't want Christians, when the time comes to defend the truth about Christ based on the upcoming film, to mistakenly believe that the enemy is a bunch of Renaissance painters.

17. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

See the similarities in all three paintings. it is clear to me that Leonardo Da Vinci was painting Mary (which Mary not sure) to the right of Jesus. see the facial expressions and round botton (?) on the neckline of their top. and how they all resemble each other, even the picture of younger Mary. they all look like the same person.

Catholics are notorious for WORSHIPPING Mary!

http://webexhibits.org/colorart/vinci.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4344512.stm

http://www.danbrown.com/images/davinci_code/gallery/the_last_supper/3magnification_of_person_accompanying_jesus.jpg

18. Karen

Karen Active Member

Frenchy,
    Why is it clear to you?
    Have you ever taken art lessons to seriously study Renaissance paintings?

Few of us have, and it comes across as you having a "hunch" based on a feeling, with no evidence.
    There were schools (types) of painting. Each artist reflected his own times, culture, and "school". He also reflected his own creativity.

There were artistic conventions for depicting youth, etc.

If your point is to show that Da Vinci was a Catholic worshipper of Mary, that is historically suspect, to say the least, anyway.

Karen

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

honestly,

why does it matter?

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm wondering why they are even SITTING at a table, and not reclined as was the custom of the day. If people believe the false theology behind Davinci Code based off a non accurate painting 1500 years after the fact, they need their heads examined.