1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Law Schools for Conservative Christians - Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by redbelt, Jul 1, 2007.

1. redbelt

redbelt New Member

My son is considering law school. Is there a Christan institution that has law or pre law? Also, is there such a thing as a conservative, constitutional type law school that he might consider? Thanks!

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that Liberty University has a law school.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try contacting one of the Christian Law organizations that help Christian organizations and see if they have schools that they would send someone to.

5. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

several of the attorneys with the Christian Law Association went to Regent University for their J.D.

I would also consider Liberty now that their program is ABA approved.

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not ABA-approved; graduates can sit for the California bar exam, though.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe someone already mentioned Liberty University School of Law (http://law.liberty.edu/). I would also mention the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University (http://law.campbell.edu/). Both schools are Baptist.

9. libertyjames

libertyjames New Member

I am in the process of finishing a video promo for Liberty's Law School. I have to say I was impressed by what I learned about the program. It is a very young program, but got accredited fairly quickly. One of the things that stood out to me about the program is what they called "Lawyering Skills". Basically it's like real experiences taking depositions, arguing before a judge and jury, and other hands on activities. Most schools do lawyering skills classes for a couple of semesters, but LU does six, which I thought would be very beneficial. They also just built a courtroom (1 of 3) with the exact specs of the supreme court. Lynchburg is a small town of about 68,000 (may not be small to some, but I'm from Virgina Beach originally) and it a pretty friendly environment. Being from VB, I also have some experience with Regent. The campus is beautiful, and I've known a few lawyers that have come from there that were pretty successful while being grounded in their faith. Virginia Beach has alot of things to do, but hampton roads in general is huge. Regent's law school does have the benefit of being around longer, but I think Liberty has a great overall package with everything if offers for its students with the sporting event, concerts, and a good over spiritual atmosphere. Hope this was some help.

#9 libertyjames, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  10. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I grew up in Lynchburg and am also a Liberty alumnus. Lynchburg's population, while only 68,000, is deceptive, due to the indepedence of the county vs. city layout in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Campbell, Amherst, Bedford counties, for example, all border Lynchburg and most people who work in Lynchburg live just outside the city limits and enjoy lower taxes and bigger houses and yards, etc., for doing so. For example, I lived 2 miles from Liberty but was never a "Lynchburg" resident, and although our mailing address was a "Lynchburg" address, Campbell County is independent from the city.

11. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Wow, LU alumni are coming out of the woodwork all of sudden.

And for the record, the Lynchburg of just a few years ago bares little resemblance to anything remotely close to campus these days.

As for LU Law, the first graduating class just walked in May. So we have yet to see how this class will fare against the bar. But early indications are positive for what the school has done thus far.

12. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I am going to be starting at Liberty University in January, so I am very curious to hear what any current/past students have to say about the school. I intend to go to law school in the future, but I can't take Liberty's pre-law program online, so I will probably be taking classes for the CJ degree. I am just excited about going to a school where I won't have to spend the better part of my time defending my beliefs. :applause:

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schools for a dirty trade like lawyering, that is a Christian perspective of such, seem to be rather sparse.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I note that you also, just as I am, are from 'God's Country' (the real name for KY). :D

I would have suggested Simon Greenleaf School of Law (now the division of Trinity University) and Liberty, as well, had some not beat me to it. I was personally unaware of Campbell and Regent. And there may well be some more that I am unaware of, as well, that would fit that description of "Christian institution".

However, I would say the four listed above, are all worth checking out, from what little I've seen and heard. (I'm a farmer, and neither a lawyer nor an academic, by any stretch.) :)

And while they are certainly not "Christian institutions", by any stretch, both the University of KY College of Law and Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University, might be worth checking out, being as both are located within some two hours of Fort Knox. If you merely happen to be temporarily located at Fort Knox, based on a military assignment, that might not be of any real concern or benefit, though.

FTR, different states have different requirements for "sitting for the bar", and/or the prerequisites for such an undertaking. And the "Bar exam", itself, is probably different in various states, but I doubt that any are 'cakewalks'.

Anyway, just trying to help out a fellow Kentuckian! :thumbs:

Good luck and happy lawyering for 'Junior'!

Ed

#14 EdSutton, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Jones University

For as many years as I can remember has had a pre-law under-grad program.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes, very well indeed!! Try 89% pass rate!! That, my friend, is very good!! :applause:

"Liberty University School of Law is pleased to announce that its inaugural class of May 2007 has achieved an outstanding 89% national pass rate on the bar exam. Liberty's success on the bar exam places the law school in the top 20 percent of all ABA-approved law schools in the country with respect to bar passage rates. The law school’s first graduates took the bar exam in 16 states." -Read more...

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I earned a Masters in Religion at Liberty and I can say that it is great school. You will love their online/distance learning program and you can actually use your degree in the real world when you graduate from Liberty. Understand that Liberty University is a well respected University. After I finished my MAR at Liberty, I started a MA in history at a major state university. This University accepted two of my church history classes from Liberty University. The result is that I only have 3 more classes before I get my MA in history degree. Also I have obtained a job teaching history at a community college using my MA at Liberty and my 18hrs of graduate history courses. Liberty University's credits were never questioned by either of these secular schools, not once. Why? Because Liberty University is a respected institution of higher learning.

Good luck and God bless you in your studies!! :thumbs: .

#17 Martin, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was at ole LU several years ago during the formative term for the Law School. I have some friends who are going through it now. It is a good school.

I would, however, highly recommend that anyone investigate a tier one or two school before a tier three or lower school. LU is a good, but is not on the same level as other law schools. This is his future vocation and he needs to be fully prepared and able to get access to other avenues that a school like LU might not open up.

Besides, I am convictionally motivated to do some major work outside of the Christian education world. The more secular opportunities I am embracing the more I get interaction with people who need to hear and see the Gospel. The more I interact with them the more I get the opportunity to have a moment to tell them the truth of the Gospel. The more I get to do this the greater impact on the culture than any amount of legislation or litigation. Just where I'm at right now, please don't take that as something anyone else should do. It is my personal conviction.

19. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

I to agree that LU would be a great school.

I am also taking classes from LU in the dlp.

20. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Thank you! I appreciate that info. I am really excited about starting there! :godisgood: