1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Laws That Infringe on Churches

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

The thread on "Taxing Churches" got me to thinking that there are other kinds of laws that infringe on churches.

One example is zoning ordinances.

In many areas of our country these ordinances have become a means by which governmental agencies have made things very difficult and costly for some churches to comply with.

Some examples of this include restrictions on the size of building additions. EX: A church wishes to expand its physical plant but, due to restrictions that state that a building cannot come closer than X number of feet from the property line makes it difficult (if not impossible) for that church to expand its physical plant.

Another example would be the size of a church's parking lot. EX: Some codes state that if a building is designed to accommodate X number of people, it must also have a parking lot whose area must be X square feet in size.

What are your views about code restrictions that hamper a church in doing things such as I've mentioned?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those sound like reasonable laws to me.

If I lived next door to a mosque, would I want them to put up a building 3 inches from the property line? If there building was designed to hold 100 people but there was parking for only 3 cars - I wouldn't want my street to be nothing but cars lined up.