1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lazarus sleeps

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by wopik, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Why are you posting here?

2. wopik

wopik New Member

why do you believe the dead are awake, when Jesus says they are asleep? (Jn 11: 11,14).

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Wopik still dances around the question and will not be honest with us as to his background. He is actively working the Baptists and wresting the scripture "Judaizing" (sp). I maintain that Wopik is not Baptist and never has been and has been working behind a cloke of darkness with his doctrine. I request that an investigation into his profile be made by a moderator. I have declared without waiver my Baptist position. I believe the same should go for Wopik. IF I am wrong I will apologize publically to Wopik and everyone else on the Board.
    Thanks ------Bart

4. servant-96

servant-96 New Member

The problem here is your lack of knowledge on the makeup of man. Man is body, soul, and spirit. The Bible plainly teaches that the soul departs at the time of death(Gen. 35:18; Phil. 1:21,23; 2Cor. 5:8). Of course if you don't have a King James Bible, I don't know for sure what answers you will get with those passages. If you have a King James, look at those passages with the idea that the body sleeps, but the soul goes to heaven or hell forever. The reason the Bible uses the word sleep is because the body will one day rise from the dead, some to everlasting life, some to everlasting punishment(Jn. 5:29).

5. wopik

wopik New Member

servant-96

Hello, servant-96.

Yes, our LIFE does depart at death.

In Matt. 16:25, "psuche" is translated "life": "For whosoever shall save his life [psuche] shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life [psuche] for my sake shall find it."

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul [psuche] (life) - Matt. 16:23.

[ May 28, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: wopik ]

6. wopik

wopik New Member

Gen. 35:18 --- Rachel's soul [nephesh] ---- her LIFE [nephesh] --- was departing, for she DIED.

"And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath LIFE [nephesh]....." - Gen. 1:20.

"And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is LIFE [nephesh]......" - Gen. 1:30.

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/nephesh.html

7. wopik

wopik New Member

8. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is ridiculous.

Look, that gives you no case for soul sleep. Verses such as in Matthew 16 are not even meant to tell about what happens at death. Man, please quit watching so much Doug Batchelor.

The basis of that whole argument does not make sense. I know someone else that got caught up with DB. He got mad at his church, left it, and wanted to believe differently than all the bad people at church.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I gave some advice some weeks back: Ignore wopik. His posts, whether he believes them or is just trying to be aggravating, are heretical. Ignore him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. wopik

wopik New Member

"the soul [nephesh] that sins, it shall die" (Ez. 18: 4, 20)

What's your biblical case for the soul [nephesh/psuche] being IMMORTAL? --- besides the preacher just telling you that it is, in other words "trust me" (preacherman).

11. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been stated over and over. I could type until my fingers fall off and get nowhere with you.

12. wopik

wopik New Member

an IMMORTAL nephesh/psuche is no where taught in the old or new testaments.

the nephesh/psuche is mortal and can die (Ez. 18: 4,20; Matt. 10:28).

In so many NT references, the psuche is merely a person (2Cor. 12: 15, KJV-center margin).

13. wopik

wopik New Member

James (KJV)
    5:20
    Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul[Psuche] from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

James (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
    5:20
    he should know that whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his life [Psuche] from death and cover a multitude of sins.