1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lazarus

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Nov 11, 2007.

1. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It was to bring glory to God. Jesus did a lot of miracles.

You can't equate God's power to black magic.
    That would be equivalent to what the Pharisees did.

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm focusing on it because it seems like the one miracle I'm most unsettled by. Where WAS Lazarus for four days? Not with his decaying corpse...so where? Jesus didn't need to bring glory to God, God already has ALL the glory.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement.

love,

Sopranette

#22 Sopranette, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  3. skypair

skypair Active Member

1John 4:6 -- "We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us."

"In the last days there shall be scoffers saying..." 2Pet 3:3 I guess it's the "season" for such.

skypair

#23 skypair, Nov 12, 2007
  4. skypair

skypair Active Member

SIGN MIRACLES, Sopi! Dr Rogers used to teach them as well. on account of what John wrote in John 20:30. Make the sense of them that John/God intended and your questions are pretty much answered.

skypair

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Matthew 27:52, when Jesus died, LOTS of dead people arose from the grave when earthquakes happened. The bible says that they went into the town and appeared to many people.

Where were those people for four days - and four years - and some for probably four decades or longer!!! If Lazarus unsettles you, then this miracle should really give you trouble. :thumbs:

By-the-by, in my last post, I said this happened when Jesus resurrected, but it was when He died. I correct myself here.

Sopranette, when you sing solos in church, don't you sing for the glory of God?

Ever work that we do should be for the glory of God.

John 10:6 - "When Jesus heard of (Lazarus being very sick), He said, 'This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, than the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

Jesus always did the will of His Father. He never sinned. So when Jesus said that this miracle was to glorify the Son of God, meaning Himself, then it was God's will that His Son be glorified.

Let me quote the whole sentence.

Hebrew 9:27-28 - "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment, so Christ was once suffered to bear the sins of many and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

This passage is saying that when people die - they have to face God's judgment, there is no second chance after death for salvation. But Christ's death makes it possible for all of us people who die who have a chance for God's mercy and grace in His judgment.

If you will note, the people who rose from the dead in the bible were either believers or they were children. There is no account to my knowledge that unbelievers were risen from the dead to walk this earth again.

Why are you assuming that God sending someone back to this mortal plane after being dead violates this principle of judgment in Hebrews?

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Scarlette, I sing my heart out for gratitude, not glory, for the blessings He has given me.

And only this one miracle unsettles me, not all. Was Lazarus a zombie? The walking dead? I don't know...

Where WAS he for four days??

love,

Sopranette

#26 Sopranette, Nov 12, 2007
  7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Jews of that day equated Heaven with being "in the bosom of Abraham"---which they equated with being in the presence of God, their Heavenly Father

Interestingly---Lazarus---upon his being called forth from the grave---left the presence of God and went to the presence of God---so there was never a moment where he was not in the presence of God--whether he be in Abraham's bosom---Heaven---or whether he be face to face in front of the Lord Jesus Christ

Where was Lazarus those four days?? In the presence of Heaven's "Holy, Holy, Holy!!!!"

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

THANK you, blackbird! This has been a question in my mind for...welll....a loooong time now. Your answer makes total sense!

love,

Sopranette

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"appointed unto man once to die" doesn't mean that one cannot be raised from the dead. This simply is stating that mankind is appointed to die physically, and then the judgement will determine the second death.

Here's a question I have to add to this thread. Did Lazarus have to be regenerated prior to obeying the words of Christ? In other words, did he have to be made alive before Christ raised him from the dead?

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Webdog, don't you think it's possible that Lazarus, a personal friend of Christ and a man who sat under Christ's teachings for quite a while, might have already been regenerated before he died?

I'm pretty much with Scarlett on the idea that the ones spoken of as being resurected were all believers and/or children. Only two occasions I can think of that might contradict that idea. One is the raising of an army from a field of dry bones (there's a story for ya!). The other is Jesus raising the widow's son. This second being done on her belief and the son's not being spoken of. Of course the son may have still been a child.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, if I didn't "hear" you and receive "your" blessing then I'm not of God and I don't know God?

I'm a scoffer too?

I don't scoff at God or His word. I just don't agree with all of "your" interpretations. There's a huge difference.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm just following the corpse argument to it's logical conclusion. If a spiritually dead person needs to be born again prior to answering Christ...why wouldn't this apply to a physical corpse, too? Was / is there no power in the words of Christ without the Holy Spirit's regeneration?

13. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

As Skypair has pointed out there large chunks of valuable Scriptural gold beneath the surface, and one must work at it to get there. Unfortunately there are MANY today that are satisfied with the gold dust found on the surface.

I'm not sure I would agree with Skypair's post as I didn't read it that closely, but the raising of Lazarus was a sign, which means it is pointing to something that is going to happen out in the future.

Lazarus is a type of Israel that is currently seen as dead (among other pictures) and this gives us insight as to the timing of Israel's resurrection as a nation.

Six out of the seven signs (I believe) in John's Gospel are tied to "days" which when understood with the arrangment of Scripture helps us see God's timeline for human history, especially in this case with Israel.

But you aren't going to find this on the surface of Scripture. Of course there are valuable lessons to learn on the surface, but there is even more value in mining the depths of Scripture that God has placed before us!

Keep digging Skypair!

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You're close. I don't think regenerated is quite the right word in this instance. But I do think the answer is yes, Lazarus had to be made alive before he heard and obeyed Jesus' call to come out of the tomb.

It's a pretty good picture of salvation. We who were spiritually dead were made alive and enabled to freely and willingly respond to Christ's call in repentance and faith.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I never knew that you were of that bent.

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't ask if you sang for you own glory, I asked if you sang for the glory of God.

I am on a quick break at work and have found scores of verses where people, nature, and angels gave God glory just as Jesus did with raising Lazurus. I'll post them later.

I'm really confused about your not understanding all of this. Perhaps I am not understanding you.

17. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I apologize, Scarlett. One, for misspelling your name, and two, for not getting it through my thick skull the number of excellent responses I've gotten so far. I guess this is the one miracle I found most difficult to equate with all that is good and right in the world, that is, God. I guess I felt for a long time Death was a negative, so to bring back the Dead, especially when we have been instructed not to commune with the Dead, is a difficult one to grasp.

love,

Sopranette

(And I do sing for His glory, but the feeling that I express most often is gratitude, more than how powerful the Almighty is, I feel it best describes how He works in our own tiny lives, including my own.)

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sister, do not worry about misspelling my name. It's not my real name anyway! :laugh:

You are right. We are not to commune with the dead. We are not to even try. We couldn't if we tried anyway. That's my thinking.

We are commanded to be grateful and to live a life of gratitude. So you keep on singing in gratitude for God! :applause:

We are also commanded by example in the bible to give glory to God for everything.

Here's just a few examples of that I looked at today at my lunch break and was amazed because I had never thought of them all collectively before.

Joshua 7:19
    "And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me."

1 Samuel 6:5
    "... and ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land."

Psalm 19:1
    "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork."

Jeremiah 13:16
    "Give glory to the LORD your God, before he cause darkness, and before your feet stumble upon the dark mountains, and, while ye look for light, he turn it into the shadow of death, and make it gross darkness."

Luke 2:14 (The angels)
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Luke 17:18 (The one healed leper out of 10 returning to say thank-you)
    "There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger."

John 11:4
    "When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby."

Acts 12:23 (Herod)
    "And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost."

Romans 4:20 (Abraham)
    "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;"

1 Corinthians 10:31
    "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God"

Philippians 2:11
    "And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father"

Jude 1:25
    "To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen."

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So, there's no power in the words of Christ? Is Christ lesser than the Holy Spirit? You seem to be saying that a dead person cannot respond to Christ WITHOUT being made alive first, is that correct?

I'm sorry, but when Jesus said "Lazarus, come forth", it was the words of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ that made that man alive. There is power in Jesus Christ's spoken and written words. I understand many calvinists believe that man has to be made alive to respond to Christ, I believe the power of Jesus Christ is sufficient. Which view questions Jesus' sovereignty?

#39 webdog, Nov 12, 2007
  20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You mean the Calvinist bent? Yep, 'fraid so.

I don't participate much in the C/A debates. Don't need to. You, Npet, Russell55, Reformed Believer, Amy G and the others are doing just fine without me.