1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Leaderless ministry teams? Is that possible???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by doodlebug, Mar 19, 2009.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

We joined a church a few months back, and I joined a ministry "team". I attended my first meeting, and was told that there is no leader. The "team" makes all the decisions (I assume with a majority rule) and they have to have a meeting to make the decisions. They informed me that they are working as a "team" and they don't need a leader. No one is held accountable to the pastor, and no one is holding the "team" members accountable. They didn't set a budget, they are just spending money as needed for a fundraiser (this is a whole other issue I have). So, please tell me if it's possible to have ministry teams without leaders???

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

One thing I've learned about people. When you got 2 or more, someone has got to be the leader. personally I think the bible demonstrates this. Husband and wife, you got one leader and one follower. Seems to me Paul was the leader of his missinary team (a ministry).
    I just can't acept leaderless ministries. Soemone has to be accountable. And then theres the no bdget thing, no accountability with the money.

Lol, I was women's ministry leader for a while. And we had a women's day, invited a speaker, invited women from other area churches, served lunch,a great theme to work with, all intended to lead women to a deeper more personal relationship with God.
    And what did I hear from my team, lol, a woman said, I don't know why we have to have a budget for! I guess she doesn't, her husband is a doctor and she spends what she wants. But as for church, nope accountability, to the pastor, the church and to God.
    In the end, I insisted,we had a budget and were going to work within the budget. If you inisted on going over budget, the women's minisry thanks you for the gift.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Strong leaders develop strong leaders. If there were no leaders there would be not be any gifts necessary.

The purpose of the gifted is to train others in ministry in those areas.

Consensus is always a compromise and descends to the lowest level.

When everyone is mature that kind of thing can work do a degree but it is not for the purpose of training leaders but rather accountability and fellowship.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lack of formal leaders simply creates informal leaders.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sounds like a recipe for chaos to me.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like they are using the consensus style of group dynamics. This is the standard method that Quakers use all the time. Sounds fine to me.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The only problem with consensus is that not all leaders are gifted the same and not all see things the same way nor the same needs.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

dingdingding...we have a winner!

Stefan...will you be this thread's leader?

:D

9. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

It was said that the "team" needs time to learn to work together as a "team" to learn each other's strengths and weaknesses.....this is why there is no leader. What is most perplexing is that we had a vision casting in January in which it was presented that there are changes being made to the "team" concept, and those would be reflected in the new draft of the constitution. My husband and the pastor have had several conversations about a leaderless "team" and the pastor has implied that he believes there should be a leader, but the two members of the "team" that he has approached are not interested in having that accountability. They insist that the "team" will perform better this way. Statistics prove otherwise - especially as someone already pointed out that if there are members of the team who are not on the same maturity or experience level as the others. Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but shouldn't this be something that the pastor exerts his authority and insists that a leader be appointed and held accountable at least for budget purposes???

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

teams have coaches. IMHO someone needs to be the leader - a team leader ;)

I've served on lots of teams. If a leader isn't appointed, someone usually rises to that position or the team doesn't get much done - or at least as much as anticipated.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like a very unhealthy church where the pastor has sheep that have their own ideas.

I'd not be involved in any ministry that was run like this. Accountability in the ministry to the shepherd of the church is extremely important and if there is none, then they can do whatever they want, however they want, to heck with the mission of the church.

I'd run.

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting and valid point. I think the flip side of that coin is also interesting and valid, i.e. the shepherd is also accountable to the sheep?

Curious on your thoughts on this.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I attended Quaker meetings for awhile when I was a New Ager (yes, they were very open to everything - a clarivoyant, several Buddhists, an astrologer - aside from me, and quite a few New Agers attended Quaker House; in fact, they hosted a New Age group that ended up introducing me to my spirit guide). I read their books on George Fox and Quaker views. The reason they have consensus style ways of decision is because they believe everyone has the "light" within and is guided by that. So if everyone has this "light" then all will ultimately agree.

It works for them because most people involved in Quaker groups tend to have the same views anyway (in my experience with them).

#13 Marcia, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know you asked Ann, but I agree with her.

Yes, the shepherd is also accountable. There should be accountablitly for everyone in some way in a church. There is in my church.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely. He is given a job by God and is responsible to God for the sheep just as a husband is responsible to God for his wife and children. However, the leader is just as accountable as the sheep are. However, there needs to be a body set in place to assist with this. In our case, it's our deacon board and the other 8 pastors. This way it's not chaos but an organized body of accountability.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said to make disciples that implies a leader. Groups without a leader is like a chicken without a head. It will flop around but not for long until it dies.

The solution to your problem is easy, just divide into two groups. One with a leader and the other without.

17. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

Rather than make waves as a newbie, I ended up leaving the group. I do not want to be part of a ministry that is not accountable and is not doing things decently and in order. I have expressed to our pastor my concerns, but I don't believe that anything will be done. The church is in a restructuring phase, so we will stick it out for a bit longer in hopes that it's not like a lot of the churches in the area who talk a good talk, but don't walk the walk! Maybe they will get it worked out, and maybe they won't. I can't stand church politics!