1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LEAKED: More Than Fifty House Progressives Privately Commit To Oppose Weak HealthCare

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Progressive Democrats are taking a hard stand on health care reform, with a majority committing to oppose any health care reform package that doesn't include a robust public option. On Wednesday, they got an inadvertent assist by an anonymous leak of their "whip list."

A whip list, which is generally tightly guarded, is used by congressional leaders to keep track of the private pledges made by members before a vote. The list is kept private to encourage frank answers from members so that leadership can gather accurate intelligence.

The whip list was obtained by Joan McCarter, a DailyKos contributing editor. It names fifty members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) who have firmly pledged to oppose any bill that doesn't meet the group's standards. Without those fifty votes, Democrats would be unable to pass the reform effort without Republican support. (Once Judy Chu is sworn in, there will be 256 Democrats, and one "closet Democrat"; 218 are needed for passage, leaving Democrats 12 votes short.)

More Here

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The rebuttal to the two republican's caught putting politics before the people.

The Blue dogs have been effectively blackmailed by the right to the extent they are afraid to support their party. I have to applaud and give the GOP credit, they drove a wedge in the democratic majority. The blue dogs are in conservative districts and they know the GOP associating them to the stimulus and now health care will mean their defeat in 2010 in those conservative southern districts. And the GOP has whispered this in their ears to much effectiveness.

It is not the house so much stopping this thing since Peloci has the votes, but the Senate is at a brick wall.

Then, they turned it up a notch by saying look, it's not us delaying the presidents bill. Their own party is split. They have the votes to pass anything they want but you see the bill is stopped. Don't blame us for being in the way?

As I watched this unfold I had to take my hat off to the GOP. They found out how to cut Sampson (Obama) hair and have effectively taken his strength. And now they can sit and watch the democratic party fight with itself...

I sincerely applaud them because I didn't see it coming....

So look at the weak Democratic rebuttal. We need the republican's but they won't come to the table. Politics is a great show but I will say for now the GOP found the upper hand... :thumbsup:

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't pick this up the first time, this is odd...

I thought they were now for the public option and one is pushing co-ops or something like that.