1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Least favorite character and why

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, Jul 19, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I know it is "taboo" to admit that you aren't really "fond" of some of the people in the bible, but just as there are people today who get on our nerves, there are bound to be people in the bible, some followers of God-some not, that you read about and think, "I really don't like this guy."

Why are they? And why do they bother you more than most?

Rachel and Leah's father, Laban - I always think "con-man" when I read the story of Jacob's efforts to obtain Rachel as his wife because of that father.

The son of David that attacked Tomar, and the friend of the son's that suggested he do that. He destroyed his sister, his half-brother, and his father with his lust.

Job's friends. They wanted to believe the worst.

King Saul. He wanted to believe the worst.

Every pharisee mentioned in the new testament.

The mocking thief on the cross.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I really don't "like" most of the characters in the Bible.

Because their exploits make me take a long hard look at my fleshly ways and my flesh doesn't "like" that.

I would rather we take a look at some of these characters not for who or what they are but instead for who or what they expose in us!!!

"These were given for our ensamples" Paul said.

In HIS service;
    Jim

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Does that include Paul? Philippians 3:5 "...a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee..."

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

PastorSBC - While he was still a pharisee - yes. It was during that time that he was a religous zealot hunting down and killing Christians. ;)

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What about Nicodemus?? One who got himself "born again" but who kept the office of Pharasee???

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Are we ever told that Paul was no longer a Pharisee?

7. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I agree with Jim on this. The characters we often frown upon in Scripture just point out to us how far we could go but for the grace of God.
    Here is one for ya. Look at what a wretch Lot had become by living in Sodom. Any man that would be willing to give his daughters up to gay men for sex is a low down , dirty, dog. Yet, God spared him.If Lot's salvation or rescue had depended on his works his sorry hide would have been left in Sodom.
    Look at what a wretch you and I were. Yet, we are counted righteous not because of ourselves and our filthy works but because of what Jesus did for us. Kind of like how Abraham interceded for Lot.
    Contemplating the rescue of Lot is interesting to me. I've been knawing on that for a while now.
    Sometimes we look at these perverts like child molesters and so on. We think good gracious that is a dispicable, human being. Yet, God can save that person out of such misery. Then we look in the mirror and think my what a wretch but God saved me.
    oh to ponder the depth of His grace and mercy. Oh how marvelous, oh how wonderful and my soul shall ever sing. Is my Savior's love for me.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Okay, Blackbird and SBC make some fair points, but I think we are using different definitions. I am talking in the strictest definitions of the terms, not the "membership rosters." By the strictest definition Paul ceased to be a Pharisee when he began teaching certain things. A Pharisee is a sect of rigid law-abiders who believed they followed the law of Moses to the very letter. They just added a few things to the definition of the law, as Christ pointed out a few times.

Was Paul still able to "carry the Pharisee Gold Card?" Yes, but when he played that card in Acts, they took a vow not to eat until they had killed him.

I don't know about Nicodemus. I think Blackbird has me on that one. [​IMG]

The Pharisees strictly kept the law of Moses, and cast out of their groups those who did not. Paul ceased to strictly keep the law of Moses after his conversion, and in fact, taught AGAINST it.

Is it like saying, "Is a man still a Roman Catholic," if he stops attending mass, starts using birth control, preaches against infant baptism, and refuses to acknowledge the Pope as having any authority?

9. askM

askM New Member

Jezebel....'nough said, right? [​IMG]

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Jepthah, for killing his daughter to fulfill a stupid vow.

11. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Bad people:

Athaliah

"Good" people:

David--he's so erratic, sometimes good, sometimes very very bad. He completely bungled his family relationships.

12. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Pharoah. Job's friends.

13. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Mine are all the self-righteous Pharisees who love looking down on others, in the bible and around us today. They have a holier than thou attitude that I'm sure hurts the cause of Christ more than most things. I hope God slaps me upside the head real good if and/or when I ever act like that.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Job's wife - "Curse God and Die" hardly very good advice, and no doubt quite the kick in the guts in what is already an awful situation!

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Jewish leadership in Jerusalem sought to kill Paul,(Acts 22-23)& he was rescued by the Roman Lysias, who convened a council to see what the Jews had against Paul, he started a great argument among the Jews by saying, "I am a pharisee, the son of a pharisee...."(Acts 23:6).

Least fave chars?(Not necessarily in this order:)

KORAH...He saw God's miracles wrought through Moses, but he wanted to take Moses' place instead of thanking God for giving them a Moses.

NIMROD...with his mother-wife Semiramis, founded the "Mystery, Babylon" religion, along with such idols as Baal, Asherah, Molech, Chemosh, & the worship of planets & stars.

BALAAM...who knew and worshipped God, and who'd surely heard of His prophecies about Israel before Israel arrived at Moab...but yet allowed his GREED to cause him to think of a way to corrupt Israel.

HEROD AGRIPPA...Almost persuaded...

ZEDEKIAH...Knew all about God, knew Jeremiah was a prophet, but when Jerry didn't satisfy his itching ears, rejected his prophecies & disobeyed God

DOEG...an Edomite who was Saul's toady, murdered God's innocent priests for Saul.

16. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Ditto. Should've put her first.

17. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Wow - Petrel -

You are the only person in my whole life who told me they didn't like David.

18. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Urgh. He did some good things, but he just makes me want to grab him and shake him. He married multiple wives, he took Michal from her husband and married her, and he may have essentially abandoned her (the Bible says she had no children because of this, so either he rejected her or she was barren). He tolerated Joab, who was an out-and-out murderer. When Amnon raped Tamar, he did nothing about it. If he had taken some action, Absalom might not have murdered Amnon and turned against David. And let us not forget Bathsheba and Uriah's murder.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Petrel, Michal had no children because of her bad attitude.

2 Samuel 6:16 As the ark of the Lord was entering the city of David, Saul's daughter Michal looked down from the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart..... 20 When David returned [home] to bless his household, Saul's daughter Michal came out to meet him. "How the king of Israel honored himself today!" she said. "He exposed himself today in the sight of the slave girls of his subjects like a vulgar person would expose himself." 21 David replied to Michal, "I was dancing before the Lord who chose me over your father and his whole family to appoint me ruler over the Lord's people Israel. I will celebrate before the Lord, 22 and I will humble myself even more and humiliate myself. I will be honored by the slave girls you spoke about." 23 And Saul's daughter Michal had no child to the day of her death.

I once heard the phrase, 'Michal missed the moment of her visitation' but cannot locate it in scripture. I took this to mean by despising David in her heart that she refused to let him come into her room and therefore missed the 'time' to conceive.