1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Least favorite character and why

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, Jul 19, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Petril -

I can't fault anyone for their favorite or least favorite characters in the bible, but obviously David, despite all his flaws, mattered greatly to God because the Messiah would be of the house and lineage of David.

As to David's sin - Polygamy started with Noah's father, Lamech. (Cain had Enoch, who had Irad, who had Mehujael, who had Methushael, who had Lamech, who had Noah.)

Genesis 4:19 "Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah."

Jacob married Leah and Rachel (Genesis 29, around the 14'th verse and onward.) Then Jacob slept with Bilhah and Zipah.

Abraham married Sarah, but fathered Hagar's child.

Diane has already explained Michal.

David repented regarding Bathesheba and Uriah.

Amon was very wrong, and I agree that David should have done more than he did, but David couldn't have forseen what Absalom would do, and what father could bring himself to stone his own child? And when you read that whole story it is a very sad story of mistakes. Absalom killed Amon, but scared his other brothers in the process, and word reached David that Absalom had killed all David's sons. It sounded like a military coup.

I've always believed the Absalom's death was part of the consequence of Uriah's death because David was told that the sword would destroy his home.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

3. mioque

mioque New Member

I'll second David, the sort of monarch after God's heart no mortal in his right mind would want as his ruler.
    "Yes God I have sinned, but instead of punishing me why don't you just start an epidemic among my subjects!"
    Way to go Dave... [​IMG] :rolleyes:

and then there is this other 'favourite' of mine.
    Elishah the bald prophet and his kideating petbears.
    Way to overreact buddy! [​IMG] :rolleyes:

robycop3
    Nimrod was guilty of plenty of things but not what you are accusing him of.

4. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

i always thought David was a "man's man". he killed a mountian lion with his bare hands. wouldn't want to arm wrestle him.

but as for my least favorite person of the bible...hmmmm. I think Ciaphas. he was the son of annias, who bought the high priesthood, and knew the truth but ignored it. (dan 9:25 told when the Messiah would arrive). of course hindsight being 20/20 and all he was right "it is better for one man to die than all of us". but what a fool after all.

thankyou and God Bless

5. Joman

Joman New Member

I would be careful in putting one of God's favorites on my "least favorite" list [​IMG]

6. Petrel

Petrel New Member

What, am I going to hurt God's feelings?

I think God liked David because he was good at repenting and often behaved righteously. When he didn't, though. . .

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly, David was severely punished for his sins, despite his repentance. Indeed, the sword destroyed much of his family during his lifetime. As he grew older, he was frequently ill, it appears; apparently he was quite feeble during his last years. The fact that he grew faint during a battle, which doubtlessly occurred when he was in his 60s, and the fact that he was constantly cold near the end of his life suggests a heart/circulation problem. And he died at age 70, which was a somewhat shorter lifespan than many of his contemporaries lived. But HIS HEART REMAINED FOR GOD, which God, who knows all hearts, knew.

Some say Saul committed far-less sin in both quality and quantity than David did, yet God came down hard upon him. it's plain that Saul had abandoned God in his heart when he allowed GREED to overrule God's command concerning the Amelekites & their wealth & became jealous of David, who'd shown nothing but unstinting loyalty to Saul. In contrast, David defended Saul because GOD had chosen Saul, and he believed that it was GOD'S place to deal with Saul as He chose. And did David become jealous of Abishai or others of his great warriors when they exceeded David's deeds in battle? No! He honored them!

In summary, God judged David by his HEART.

8. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Judas Iscariot :mad: :mad: need I say more ? :mad: :mad: