1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Led To the Doors of An Unaccredited Institutions

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Dec 28, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Recently, a gentleman related a personal story to me. He was looking for a seminary to attend. Well, I directed him to a few accredited institutions, even to those in SA.

But through a series of circumstances, he came back to me and said that he thought that God was leading him to an unaccredited institution.

Considering the pros and cons of an unaccredited institution, I really didn't know what to say, except to tell the gentleman that if you're sure about this, then I wish you all the best.

2. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

That is about all you likely can say.

I am pursuing a degree from a non regional credt. school. So far I like this program.

I am also pursuing a degree from Liberty.

I can understand both perspectives.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have no idea how someone could consider an unaccreditted institution, but it does happen. You did all you could do, and I'm sure a fine job of laying out the facts. We aren't responsible for others' decisions, no matter how crazy. :)

4. rpniman

rpniman New Member

One would consider an unaccredited institution for several reasons (within the context of religious studies).

1.) Cost of tuition is sometimes an insurmountable burden for those already paying off student loans, especially if they already have a family to support. Unaccredited seminaries are generally much more affordable.

2.) Unless you are motivated by secular or academic recognition the accreditation does little to ensure your education is of better quality in terms of sound Biblical doctrine. If your goal is to learn as much about the Word of God as you can and to prepare yourself for ministry than an unaccredited institution may be just as capable as an accredited one. It's up to the student to learn the curriculum whether they're studying at ORU or ATS.

3.) The Lord actually leads them to the institution in question. I had a pastor once that had a M.Th from an unaccredited seminary and he was a very knowledgeable theologian. He was a very good pastor and followed his calling as the Lord lead him. Despite what some seem to believe I see no evidence that the Lord actually cares one way or the other about an institution's accreditations. Neither will those the Lord brings to the pastor without an accredited degree.

Frankly I feel the "bashing" of unaccredited institutions simply because they are unaccredited is arrogant and worldly in nature. We should judge these institutions based on their curriculum, in terms of teaching sound Biblical doctrine, and their ability to effectively train our pastors, ministers, and Christian counselors. I agree that the majority of unaccredited "educational institutions" are probably diploma mills and not effective at delivering a quality education. However, there are also many that I have researched that have produced knowledgeable, gifted, and most importantly Bible teaching pastors.

I've come to the conclusion that it's more important to research the institution, look at the curriculum, find out about its alumni, and then ultimately let the Lord guide you whether it's right for you. If you have other "FACTS" to share that refutes my opinion than please share. But to put down a religious educational institution simply because it lacks regional accreditation does little to persuade one who is putting the Lord's calling ahead of worldly honor that there is a problem inheritantly with such an institution.

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always felt that a degree is not needed to preach the gospel. The best preachers in history never went to college. But if you do need college to preach, then an accreditation is not an important point - unless you are peaching at IBM or some place like that.

As I have said before, West Coast Baptist College in Lancaster, CA is the best Bible boot camp I have ever seen. That school prepares young men and women for service to God, at home or in the mission field. My new young Pastor is a West Coast graduate, and he is wonderful, sharp, and with experience, will be one of the best Pastors.

6. cpc

cpc New Member

The Reason For Respect

I know pastors who have no degrees, non-accredited degrees from LBU, those with degrees from ATS schools, etc. Of those I know, there seems to be some difference. It's not necessarily in the character of the men, but in the education of the men. I just don't think that the guys from the non-accredited schools stack up academically with those who are not. This is purely subjective. I know that, but I do believe it's real.

That's why I think that non-accredited schools don't garner the respect that accredited schools garner. I recently spoke with a rep. from Trinity in Newburgh. He was clearly pushing a new degree plan. He spoke for 5 minutes on the phone and it sounded like a sales pitch. He offered an incredible deal if I would sign up, right then and there on the phone using a credit car. It was a cash flow issue. There was no application process, no requirements. He said I would be starting classes tomorrow if I signed up today.

That's no the reponse that I'm getting from accredited schools. I'm guessing that's because they have a higher standard of admission, and I believe that means a higher standar of education.

7. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

Amen!!!!!!! :godisgood:

8. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

I have attended LBU and I went through a lengthy application process. I believe it is a good, reputable school. In the end, I wanted to attend an institution that was Biblically sound and I believe LBU fits that well.