1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Left, Right, Middle --- What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what does right wing, middle ground or left wing mean?

I find it somewhat amusing at how I am called a leftist on this BB. Why?

Well because:

1-Where I worked for 26 years I was considered a little left of center.
    2-Where my wife worked I was considered far right wing.
    3-At my church I am considered moderate ... well maybe a little right of center.
    4-I consider myself in a centrist.

Why do I consider myself in the middle, a centrist?

Glad you asked.

1-Economically I believe in a regulated Capitalism. I know enough history to know there are great evils waiting in an unregulated Capitalistic system.

2-Socially I believe that people in need should be take care of through personal efforts and also by government programs.

3-I am a firm believer in a representative democracy.

4-I am not a one issue voter.

5-I read on both sides of an issue.

6-I am not tied so tightly to a political ideology that I cannot consider another's point of view.

7-I will not waste my time on fight against an issue that has been ruled on numerous times by the Supreme Court making that issue the law of the land. I may not agree, but spitting into the wind only ends up with me having a wet face.

I guess there are other reasons I consider myself in the middle .. but that is enough for now.

#1 Crabtownboy, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    all those terms are variable- based on the persons perspective

someone one may be 100% against abortion - but also believe in the death penalty.

some would call that person pro-life
    but others would not because of the death penalty issue

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

LOL! I saw the title on the thread and thought "wha...some new cadence dance?" Had visions of a very unique new squadron....

Politics section, my friend, politics section. That way we avoid these hilarious mental visions when we see such titles, though I definitely needed the laugh so thanks!

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

OK, boys and girls, today we're going to study the words "left," "center," and "right," and why those three came to mean what they do in this day and age's context of political philosophies.

Let's get into our little time machines. Put its transmission into reverse gear, set its GPS to the podium of the speaker of the French National Assembly in the early days of the French Revolution, and then press Enter!

You are now sitting in the Speaker's Chair. (You might want to dust it off a little since it hasn't been occupied for some 230 years!)

As you pound the gavel to call into session the National Assembly of the First Republic of France, its Sergeant-Of-Arms checks and verifies the validity of the huddled mob of French comrades as they begin to filter their way from the champaigne bars in the vestibule into the official chamber room of said French National Assembly.

After verifying the credentials of those champainge-filled delegates, you'll see the staff of young pages ushering those "spirit filled" delegates to their appropriate seating galleries.

Looking out over this august assembly, to your LEFT are those Frenchmen who favor abolishing the centuries old French Monarchy, who, for hundreds of years past received their crowns from (most likely) a duly-appointed representative of the Pope in Rome. Thus giving a visual lesson that the new king, via the Pope, rules by Divine Authority taken directly from God the Father in heaven above!

In the CENTER are those Frenchmen who tend to view the French Monarchy as more of a necessary evil. Maybe (at least when you're talking about the incumbent king, Louis XVI) more EVIL than nessessary!) we shouldn't be so hasty to send both he and his wife, Queen Marie ("....Let-them-eat-cake!!") Antionette to the guilotine just yet. Maybe, as POTUS Lyndon Baines Johnson was often wont to say some 170 or so years later, we can sit down and "REASON TOGETHER"!!

And then, over to your RIGHT, were those stalwarts who insisted that we do all that we can as loyal, patriotic, French brethren, to preserve, protect, and defend the French monarchy---hard-hearted and totally apathetic as Louis XVI, et ux., may be---because, well, if the Pope sanctioned our monarchs as far back as King Charlemagne some 990+ years ago---well, who are we mortals, to dare lift a finger to touch God's anointed ruler over France??!!??

In summary:

The LEFT said: "Away with Louis XVI & his cake-loving wife too! Away with the whole idea of a monarchy!! Power to the people!!

Those in the CENTER said, OK Louie & Marie (not to be confused with DONNY & Marie! :smilewinkgrin:) aren't saints (BTW, St. Louis, MO, was named for a much earlier King Louis of France--Louis IX, AD 1214 - 1270!) maybe, but they're all we got for now!

And, those on the RIGHT would say, in essence, "If the French monarchy was good enough for our ancestors who lived under King Charley the First (a/k/a Char-le-magne) way back in AD 800, then it's good enough for us here in the 1790's!!

LEFT = Revolutionaries. ("Up Set That Apple Cart! RIGHT NOW!")
    CENTER = Not-So-Fast. ("Well, apple sauce can be tasty if you don't eat the whole great big jar at once!")
    RIGHT = The monarchy must be CONSERVED! ("Remember what happened to Adam!")

Hope y'all took plenty of notes, class!

There just might be an ESSAY quiz tomorrow! :laugh: :praying:

There goes the bell!

Class dismissed! :wavey:

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals remind me of Lot. His problem was that he had vexed his soul with keeping his eye on the cities of Sodom and Gamora (the world) that he lost all good judgment. He offered his daughters to "evil men" he delayed in leaving when the angels told him too, and he had to be drug out of the city.

This is what happens to liberals. They do not know their true condition and believe themselves to be better off than they are. Abraham kept his eye on God and did not fail to turn away from the world. Lot turned toward the world and never set up his alter.