1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Legalize Methamphetamine!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

If we were to legalize all drugs, we might be able to shift the focus on these drugs being a legal problem to a health care problem. We'd stop dumping the addicts in our already overcrowded prison system, and possibly help them overcome their addictions. I've never seen the point of putting a meth head in the same General Prison Population as murderers and rapists. That's the only benefit I could see. It should still remain illegal to sell to minors.

love,

Sopranette

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Go visit and teach the Gospel in jail. Ninety five percent of the prisoners I have ministered with... Ninety five percent of the jail population of the county I live in, are in jail because of drugs, mainly meth.
    The majority of the rapists and murderers, theif and robbers, are so because of meth. Meth is more widespread than reported. We even have some clergy that are addicted to the stuff.
    Take a look at the legal drug Oxycontin. It is one of the most sought after, expensive drugs, that is killing many children and adults alike today. The addiction rate from legal prescription drugs is alarming.
    Making another drug legal, that has NO medicinal value is IMO absurd!

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The legal use of alcohol has overloaded our health care system and its illegal use of minors is the leading cause of death among teenagers and you want to make drug use a medical problem? The problem is a spiritual one that can only be solved by God.
    You will not stem the tide until you support the teaching and preaching of the gospel.

#23 Palatka51, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

You all are misreading me. I only said IF these drugs were legalized, THIS could be the benefit. I'm not crazy about the idea in the first place, believe you me!

love,

Sopranette

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Nov 29, 2007
  6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ed,
    Don't forget about the evils of coke.

[​IMG]

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

an excellent point.

It is also obvious that the writer of the OP is stunningly ignorant of meth's pharmacological impact on the brain. Make it legal...and they'll behave? Not a chance.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

And this seems obvious. As a result you have to wonder what the real mostivation is.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Did you hear about the Pepsi driver that was fired yesterday?

He tested positive for Coke on his drug test.[​IMG] :laugh:

I like that smiley may I steal it?
    Oh, BTW don't mess with the Coke man.:smilewinkgrin:

10. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Alcohol is also alright to use according to the Bible.

Deut 14:24-26
    24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
    25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
    26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
    (KJV)

11. Choctawman

Choctawman New Member

I simply cannot believe I am reading this thread on a Christian BB!

ANYONE advocating the legalization of the deadliest and most addictive drug in our history should be ashamed of yourselves! You obviously have not been around those addicted to this poison. IT WILL DESTROY YOUR LIFE - LEGAL OR NOT! I have known far too many people who have destroyed their lives, homes, health and futures due to methamphetamines, including my ex-wife.

HOW DARE YOU CALL YOURSELVES "Christians"!!!!

So, you would just GIVE UP in order to have have the 'hassle' of dealing with all the victims? Right. Make it a "medical" problem and completely bankrupt our medical system while continuing to contribute to the further degradation of our society. Guess who would be paying for all of this "medical" crisis? You think your health insurance is expensive now, just legalize methamphetamines, crack cocaine and marijuana. Give me a break!

Yeah, Jesus would really go for allowing people to destroy their lives too. Right. Where's the Bible verse that says we should turn our backs on this plague? Wash our hands of the problem?

SHAME ON YOU!

YOU BET I'M MAD! :mad: THIS IS ONE OF THE DUMBEST IDEAS I HAVE EVER HEARD OF! :BangHead:

Yeah, let the flames begin! YOU WILL ONLY HAVE YOURSELVES TO BLAME FOR THE CALAMITY THAT FOLLOWS! I'll fight ANY form of legalization with all I have! I would rather pay higher taxes to fund an army of law enforcement officers to eradicate the drug problems our country has at any time. I won't pay higher taxes to pay for medical treatments if these drugs are legalized!

Yes, it's OK to discuss this matter and the ONLY conclusion you can come up with is that this is a REALLY, REALLY BAD idea.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calm down.

There is zero, zilch, nada chance that meth will be legalized in these United States in the foreseeable future.

But philosophically do you think the government should ban everything that may be bad for someone? If you are going to go down that route, then you will be calling for the government to enact laws against obesity. That is already a huge medical cost problem in these United States.

#32 KenH, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  13. Joe

Joe New Member

Since it serves no medicinal purpose, legalizing it will only destroy more lives. Making it more attainable.

The most horrendous crimes are committed by people on meth, so if they are jailed for it, it doesn't hurt my feelings. Le them dry out.

Sorry to hear about your ex wife Choctawman

#33 Joe, Nov 29, 2007
  14. standingfirminChrist

Alcohol is not alright to use according to the Bible

Proverbs 23:29-35 (King James Version)

29Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
    30They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
    31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
    32At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
    33Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
    34Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
    35They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

In case you haven't noticed, you already pay higher taxes to keep funding the failure called the "war on drugs". Do you really think giving more money, more power and more control to an already bloated, wasteful big brother control freak government is the answer?

Eradicate the drug problems in our country? Isn't that what the "war on drugs" was supposed to do in the first place? Has it helped? No! How is making a failure even bigger gonna help?

That's like getting a flat tire on your car and paying someone to make the rest of them flat to "fix" the problem.

#35 poncho, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  16. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Please explain this Scripture then:

Deut 14:24-26
    24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
    25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
    26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
    (KJV)

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again! :laugh:

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent point, poncho. In this case conservatives are just like liberals. Liberals keep wanting to throw more money at the failed "War on Poverty" just like conservatives keep wanting to throw more money at the failed "War on Drugs".

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

If you look at pharmacology of crystal meth, you discover how truly evil this drug is. Nothing touches it in two key areas:
    • effects on the pre-frontal cortex of the brain (which controls, among other things, socialized behavior and impulse control);
    • dopamine production. Even more than crack cocaine, meth causes masses amounts of dopamine to be produced...causing an intense high that is so pleasurable that most people who try meth will use it again.
    Nothing else comes even close to this drug. Legalize it, and you'll have all the societal problems...still uncontrolled...under government bureaucracy. (Because face it: you'll HAVE to regulate it). How is that more libertarian?

LINK (one among many; Discover mag had a great article on it, but I have the hard copy).

Because of the evil nature of this drug, I consider it "unmanageable." Legalized or not, it turns people into self-destructive (and dangerous) automatons with one thing on their mind.

A few years ago, I did some post-grad research on this issue (my background includes chemistry and ethics)...and I can truly say I was mortified at what this plague has (and will) become.

20. standingfirminChrist

Deuteronomy 14: 24-26 was speaking of tithing. Now before one partook of that tithe,, according to Geneva's Bible notes, one had to give the Priest the LORD's part.

Since the tithes were to be eaten or drank, and the Priest was forbidden to drink wine or strong drink that was alcoholic lest he not fulfill the duties assigned to him, the wine and strong drink could not have been the fermented kind he was commanded not to partake of.

Deuteronomy 14's wine and strong drink were non-alcoholic