1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Length of Job's Suffering

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by PastorSBC1303, Jun 1, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How long was the time period between Job being afflicted and being restored? Any ideas?

2. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Long enough to give God the most glory possible from the situation :D

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Good question. All I could see regarding time was that he lived 140 years after all that happened.

And, as you probably know, because of the "sandwich literary structure" of Job, (prologue - prose, main body - poetry; and epilogue - prose) some do not take the account as even literal. ;)

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a heap of talking that went on in that period.

I've known a few people that could have done each "friends" soliloquy in just a few minutes.

It would have taken me, however, at least 3 days to have done one.

Then too, we have no indication the length of silent periods.

So taking all factors into consideration, my best wild guestimate would be between 5 days, and 2 months!

(Hey! I figure this is a accurate as some of those evolutionists claims!! [​IMG] )

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I don't think it is clear on the length of time.

The first test says that "one day," thhe Sabeans attacked and carried off some of his sons and daughters, and that while the first messanger was telling Job about that another messanger told him that "fire fell from the sky" and burned up the sheep and servants. And "while he was still speaking," another messanger arrived and said that his children were at his oldest son's house and the wind blew the house down onto them kililng them.

The second test is said to be "on another day". Doesn't say how many days after the first test. This is Chapter 2 of Job, when he develops sores all over his body. His wife suggests he should curse God and die.

It DOES say that his friends heard about it and came to visit and that they sat on the ground with him for 7 day sand 7 nights during that time period. So it was not a "one night thing."

Then his friends try to tell him he caused it by some sin. Then God reminds Job that God is God.

It says that Job lived 140 years "after this" and had new children.

6. Corry Cox

Corry Cox New Member

Puritan,
    Amen, that is a great answer.

<><
    YIC,
    cbc