1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lent question for catholics...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Sing4Him, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Sing4Him

Sing4Him New Member

I was raised catholic. As long as I can remember, whatever we gave up for lent we could have on Sundays. We often times gave up sweets, and we would even wait up on Saturday nights until midnight to eat Girl Scout cookies because, after all, after midnight it was Sunday. Is this the general concensus? One of her explanations is that there are actually more than 40 days in the Lenten season, so they divide up the extra days. If this is the way all catholics do this, is there a web site somewhere that explains it? Thanks for your input!

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Who is 'her'? Your mother?

I wasn't raised Catholic, so I can't answer.

3. Sing4Him

Sing4Him New Member

Yes, 'her' was my mother.

4. faith4life

faith4life New Member

That sounds about right. I have a couple of friends that are Catholic and they can give up whatever they want for Lent but they can have it on Sundays. One of my friends gave up ice cream for Lent, and boy did she have a hard time seeing the rest of us eat ice cream at our friend's B-Day party.

5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Sundays are not part of the 40 days of Lent because, to Catholics, Sundays commemerate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

6. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Interesting. As a Catholic, I've never heard that. Maybe it's a regional thing.

7. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

And to think that I could have had that chocolate cake at my daughter's sports award banquet that was held on a Sunday...

I had never heard that either, so I went the entire Lenten season without chocolate.

8. Sing4Him

Sing4Him New Member

I guess my point it that it doesn't seem like it would be much of a sacrifice for us if we didn't do it all the way...personally, I think it just shows weakness.

9. frozencell

frozencell Guest

So it wasn't a real question then? I didn't think so. Just another cheap jab at the Catholic Church it seems. I'm sorry to hear that you think it's a sign of weakness, though, seeing that Protestants don't put any extra emphasis on Lent at all.

10. Sing4Him

Sing4Him New Member

Yes, it WAS a real question. Get over yourself. I truly want to understand the church's viewpoint on this. And how do you know whether or not protestants put any extra emphasis on Lent? Until you have been in every protestant church that exists, you can't say that, now can you? I know protestants who are more devout in their Lenten sacrifices that a lot of catholics I know...which is what prompted my question in the first place.

11. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

Fridays ALL YEAR LONG commemorate the passion of Christ, Sundays ALL YEAR LONG, are little Easters. This includes Sundays of Lent. You ALWAYS celebrate on Sundays, and always remember the resurrections, and because of this many do not see it as a fast day.

However, your Lenten observance is up to the individual. They can set it to be whatever they want. They could give up something EVERY Monday, Wednesday, and Friday if that is the way they planned it when they began.

Example: I gave up watching television by myself. I only watch TV when others were around. I intended it to include Sundays, so it did. I did this so I could visit family members, because I watch TV at their homes with them. If I gave up tv absolutely I would not be able to visit family.
    peace

12. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I too think it must be a regional thing, I was a raised a Catholic, and Lent was Lent. Whatever penance you did was everyday for us.

13. CalvinG

CalvinG New Member

This is interesting. When did become official doctrine of the church.

I don't know of a Protestant church that observes Lent because it supposedly originated from a pagan mother-baby cult in which the mother mourned for 40 days and the baby came back to live or something. I'm not sure I have all the details right about that. And "Easter" was supposedly derived from the name of a pagan goddess: "Ishtar." Now, I've never actually seen any of this in print, so it could just be something I heard in Sunday School.

14. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

You said: "I don't know of a Protestant church that observes Lent because it supposedly originated from a pagan mother-baby cult in which the mother mourned for 40 days and the baby came back to live or something. I'm not sure I have all the details right about that. And "Easter" was supposedly derived from the name of a pagan goddess: "Ishtar." Now, I've never actually seen any of this in print, so it could just be something I heard in Sunday School. "

Response: I read this and I don't know if you were saying something SOOOOO far off the wall being synical or if you were actually meaning what you were saying. I will assume you are meaning what you are writing:
    1. Many protestants celebrate Lent. I know all the Lutherans and Epicopalians in our area do. Some Methodists do.
    2. We are VERY culturally miopic in the USA. The word 'easter' might have pagan roots, however, english is NOT heart of Catholicism. Go to Latin, or even the romance languages and look up the word easter : Pasqua, Pacque, etc. The word Easter in those languages is the word for Paschal, for the Paschal Mystery. You know: Passover. Jesus Christ is our Passover in the Paschal mystery: This is easter. Lent is just a preparation for easter.

peace

15. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

For Catholics and many other Christians Lent is a time of prayer, introspection, self-examination and preparation to celebrate Easter. Since Sundays commemorate the resurrection of Jesus, the six Sundays that occur during Lent are not counted as part of the 40 days of Lent, and are referred to as the Sundays in Lent. The number 40 is connected with many Scriptural events, but especially with the forty days Jesus spent in the wilderness preparing for His ministry.

16. frozencell

frozencell Guest

Wow. Such a heated reply. Anyhow, I got over myself a long time ago. That's why I'm here. But as a vast majority, Lent is pretty much considered a Catholic thing. If you ask the majority of people in America which religion is associated with Lent they will say Catholic, if they know what it is at all. It's sad that some Catholics don't take Lent as seriously as they should, and I'm glad to hear that some Protestants take it very seriously. But out of curiousity, which Prot. denom.'s do you speak of?? I was a Prot. for 20 years and was exposed to a lot of different Prot. denom.'s and haven't ever seen it.

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree - no lint for protestants

18. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW - there was no 40 days of Lent or 40 days before Passover celebration/observance in the day of Christ, or that was observed by Christ.

19. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Actually I know of a couple of Baptist churches that observe Lent, including mine. It really prepares you for Easter. All Episcopal and Lutheran churches observe Lent and some Methodists and Presbyterians do also.