1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lester Roloff

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it is you who is behind a bit. The verse I quoted could very well be used to apply to an allegation of clergy pedophilia when no evidence was found. I challenge you to show where I suggested "covering up" or "sweeping under the rug" any crime for which Roloff was convicted.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

What crimes was Roloff convicted of?

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd have to go back and double check the details, but he spent about five days in jail a couple of different times. I think it was for disobeying the law that he was violating for running the homes without a license........at least, it was some issue surrounding that. He knew he was not following the law, but felt that he had biblical grounds to disobey the law.

In my view, his homes fell into a similar category as following building codes and food preparation / health laws, not an area of biblical doctrine or teaching.

#83 Humblesmith, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are the passages I was thinking of:

Romans 14
    10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
    11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
    12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.​

2 Corinthians 5
    8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
    9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.​
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

I should have said Bema seat I believe.

HankD​

#84 HankD, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. mrsmel

mrsmel New Member

I don't know if anyone still checks this thread, but I have to speak up anyway. I went to the Bethesda Home in Hattiesburg MS in the mid Seventies, when the Barnwells were there. I was about 12 then, a rebellious young girl whose mother couldn't cope with all her ten children, an impending separation from my stepfather (a good man), and a rebellious runaway daughter (me, at 12-I ran away to live with my dad). The whole time I was there, i never received or saw one instance opf abuse. I got licks 2-3 times while there-the same kind I received in public school for misbehavior, with a paddle. I got worse spankings at home with a belt.

We girls had to do chores-but let me tell you, they were nothing like the chores that I, as the eldest girl of ten children, had at home. They were much lighter. We ate well-probably the healthiest I ever ate up to that time in my life. I learned to sew, and memorised chapters of Bible. I loved Brother Roloff, though we didn't see him that often.

As a rebellious child, I of course hated it while there. It was only later that I understood and appreciated what it had been to me, and how much more it could have been if I'd allowed it.

Brother Roloff had strict dietary standards for himself, as that's what helped him become strong and healthy after a childhood of sickness. We went by those standards to some degree at Bethesda, but not to the degree that he held for himself. And he did not "preach" these things as a salvation issue, or as Biblical doctrine. He did believe that as in all things, it was best to make the best use of the good things God gave us, the better to serve Him.

I love to listen to his sermons today and remember him. As far as I'm concerned, he's greatly missed, and was one of a kind. As a grown woman, if I could, I'd love to spend a period of time in the world of Bethesda again, and immerse myself in the Bible and serving God away from the chaos and sin of this world.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrsmel,
    Thank you for bringing up this thread again.
    I never had the opportunity to meet Uncle Rolle, personally, but I know he did a wonderful work for the Lord.

You mentioned that he never abused children. Then you mentioned that he did give you a few licks and he even made you do chores (without a $ allowance, I assume) those things would be considered child abuse by many people today.:saint:

I also would like to welcome you to the board and trust you will become an active member.

Salty

ps, be sure to go to the welcome thread and tell us about yourself.:wavey:

7. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Yes sir, that's what is wrong with the churches today, there' too much "intellectual preaching" and not enough "Spiritual preaching".

When scripture is preached/explained from an intellectual view point, the consequences are that it is understood in the same manner, people don't like to be "condemned" by the law.

"Intellectual preaching" only reaches the "mind", but "Spirit preaching" reaches the "Heart", the difference in feeling condemed by God's law and the love of God to redeem you from the law.

The reason the world hates Jesus/Christians is because scripture condemns them, only when the Gospel is preached in the "Power/Spirit" of God will the "LOVE OF GOD" and his redemption/salvation overshadows any/all condemnation of the law.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Today, few would depart from the standard form of godliness that structure the church/worship service to follow the spirit.

2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

God didn't sent Jesus to condemn "ANYONE", but condemnation is all the world understands about the scriptures, so this message of love is not getting into the hearts of people.

The "falling away" is leaving our "first love", that is of Jesus and his love for sinners, and it's why membership is declining.

Roloff can still be heard on "Christian radio network". 900 AM, Knoxville, TN.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Have you ever read the proverb that says every man's story sounds good until someone comes behind him and gives the other side?

And have you, yourself, ever been lied about? Lying comes so naturally to those who are proficient, they lose track of the truth. The magnitude of their inaccuracies is stunning.

And do you detect no evidence of fabrication in some of the anecdotes? It's like that news story last year about the Muslim diplomat who, claiming persecution in America, alleged that an American woman had thrown her shoe at him on the street. Those of us who know America see how ludicrous it is, but he, being a foreigner, couldn't even lie convincingly. His lie carried the scent of his middle eastern mindset.

And if you're relying on the accuracy of the anecdotes from detractors, I might ask if you've ever really meditated on how a story can be shaded by changing ONE word. All of you pastors who have been lied about know exactly what I mean.

You are going to get the inside story on the Roloff homes by talking to those who lived on the inside. I have talked to some of them, and they disagree with the allegations of abuse.

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know Dr. Roberson loved and trusted Brother Roloff enough to entrust to him the chapel services at TTU, so that for me is a pretty high recommendation.

But, I still remember and appreciate his Dr. Law and Dr Grace sermon on the relationship of law and grace in salvation. I've used his analogy several times over the years I've been preaching.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow - I remember those days and that message - when were you at TTU? I was there from 76-83 (only part time after 1980)

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was there from 79 until 81. Were you at chapel when Dr. Roberson left to fly to an evening preaching assignment leaving Dr. Roloff in charge. As Dr. Robersn left the chapel service, Roloff declared that he was now the president of TTU. Roloff was always a great speaker.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Time For Me To Chime In

Boys and Girls... I've read this thread so far through 3 of it's now ten pages(I'll read the rest later) and the very idea that Bro.Roloff was a cultist or used cult methodology is completely offensive to me. FOR THE RECORD....I was there (and I went voluntarily) for help as a 25 year old resident of the "City of Refuge" home for older men in 1980 and was there for almost a full year. At the time our group was housed in the same dorm building as the Lighthouse Homes and we all worked throughout the farms and church ministries. Most of the folks there both young and old,male or female were either rejects from society,drunks,drug addicts, or for one reason or the other court-ordered "last-chance" type of people. The program that Bro.Roloff (still living at that point) offered was Bible centered Gospel preaching/teaching,clean living,modest dressing,healthy food/eating practices...and yes,biblically based appropriate corporal punishment/discipline. I was there....I saw it...and frankly I wish I hadn't left to return home as soon as I did. I think I would have been better off if I had stayed a bit longer but there is no question in my mind and heart that I am better now for having been there then and I continue to be blessed through hearing the recorded Family Altar radio programs that our local Christian station continues to air to this day. For those of you who weren't there who desire to defame Bro.Roloff and those ministries I can only say that although you have that right.....you ABSOLUTELY are ignorant of the truth. Men like him and ministries that try to stand on the Word of God will always be reviled and misunderstood by the unregenerates of this world and those duped by them. I would far rather believe my Bible and people that have a high view of it than EVER take the word or conclusions of the ungodly,worldly state government. Bro.Roloff was right to resist and refuse state oversight and liscensing since if you accept that then you must then submit to their oversight and ultimate authority....and they will NEVER HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR THE WORD OF GOD OR THE GOD OF THE WORD.
    In closing this let me just say that Bro. Lester Roloff was a true man of faith that loved the Lord and His Word and had a deep love for the defeated,downtrodden,destitute people of his generation and tried with all his heart and strength to accomplish the call God had placed on his life to help others. He gave his life doing just that. The plane crash that killed him was a flight enroute to preach in support of the homes and people he loved. I look forward to seeing him again when I get to heaven. For the record....my LOST FAMILY MEMBERS think I was brainwashed while I was there. I love Jesus Christ....if that is brainwashing....THANK GOD !!!

Carry On...But PLEASE..use your head for something besides a HAT RACK!

Greg Perry Sr.:jesus:

#92 Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If MP hates him, he must have been a good man! :thumbs: God rest his soul.

14. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Just to clarify a technical point, Roloff and spinoff ministries that were modeled after his never resisted inspections by law enforcement people. Those I knew were on a first-name basis with the local sheriff and gave him a set of keys and told him he could drop in for a surprise inspection at any hour, day or night, and question the residents to his heart's content. It was the Welfare Department and their philosophically based "minimal standards" that he resisted.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow - uncanny - I remember that!

16. mrsmel

mrsmel New Member

I'm sorry, I was unclear-Brother Roloff himself didn't personally administer the licks, Aunt Dot Barnwell did. it was the same as those I received in public school-bend over the back of a chair, a few swats with a wooden paddle, and that was that. I don't know of Brother Roloff himself ever administering licks, though I've heard a sermon in which he mentioned giving licks to two girls from the Rebekah Home who had run away and were found being held in a bar by some men who wouldn't let them leave. They had run away before, and Brother Roloff said in the sermon, that he had promised them if they ever did so, he would personally give them a spanking. After they were rescued by some of his men from the bar, and were returned safe and sound, he kept his promise, according to his sermon. I myself would have been relieved to receive a few licks after being rescued from such a situation.

Edit--Salty, again I apologise :) I forgot to thank you for your welcome, and will make my way over to the forum you mention as soon as I can. My last post was a quick one to clarify. I hope to become a contributing member also, though I imagine my posting will be a bit minimal :)

#96 mrsmel, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I believe you are wrong on this one. I knew Lester Roloff personally. Although he was much older and was not a close friend to me, he was a friend to my pastor back then. I have both talked with Roloff in his office, and have known several men and women who stayed in his homes. Not one of these grown men and women have ever said anything about abuse. In the past when we lived in Chattanooga, Tennessee and attended Highland Park Baptist Church we heard Roloff regularly, and again, I never heard anything negative about the treatment of those in the boys and girls homes. Roloff's methods were a little unusual, but I don't think he was a cult leader or an evil man.

Since these days I have moved toward a more moderate church, so I don't keep up with these types of ministries anymore.

18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I believe MP is dead wrong also. We used to donate to his homes as a home mission. Sense his death we have had no contact with the homes.

Is there a ministry still?

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The Homes started by Brother Roloff include:
    - The City of Refuge (for men)
    - The Jubilee Home (for women)
    - The Lighthouse (for younger men)
    - The Rebekah Home (for teenage girls)
    - The Anchor Home (for teenage boys)
    - The Bethesda Home (for teenage girls)
    - The Peaceful Valley Home (for retired Christians)

The last work he helped to start was a mission work with American Indians, called Regeneration Reservation, which is located at Fort Thomas, Arizona.

Beginning in the early 1970’s and continuing into the early 1980’s, the State of Texas Department of Human Services attempted to regulate the Homes and require licensing by the State. Brother Roloff believed strongly that the State should not regulate any Church or its ministries in any fashion. To agree to allow the State to regulate the Homes would have meant that the residents could not legally be required to attend church services, among other things. Since the mission of the Homes was to help those in need by instructing them in the saving grace of Jesus Christ, this was an unacceptable situation. Consequently, a long court battle was waged. This included hearings in the District Court, the Texas Supreme Court, the Federal Court, and the Texas Appeals Court. Although some victories were won, some of the judges, commenting that the Homes were being well run, ruled that the State did have a right to regulate the Homes which were serving the younger boys and girls. Later, the Supreme Court of the United States refused to hear the case, which allowed the lower court’s ruling to stand. This forced the closing of the two children’s homes, Rebekah and Anchor. This move broke Brother Roloff’s heart.

20. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo New Member

Brother Roloff was a great evangelist that led many people to the Lord Jesus. He was very straightforward and a blessing to many young people of his time.:godisgood: