1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let Congress put its money where its mouth is.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I heard Rush suggest this last week and I think it is a great idea.

One way to show such sacrifice and resolve would be to agree to shift at least half of the $25 billion dollars that the recently enacted highway bill (SAFETEA-LU) dedicates to frivolous pork-barrel spending in local communities around the nation.
    As Mississippi and Louisiana confront the replacement of dozens of wrecked bridges, is it possible that Rep. Don Young (R.-Alaska) could give up one of the two $200 million dollar bridges he secured for his state? Perhaps Alaskans could go without the one that will serve a town of just fifty people, who now ride a ferry? Such an example of leadership and sacrifice by a senior member like Rep. Young could persuade the rest of the Congress to follow his lead and give up there own wasteful earmarks and pork until the $12 billion or $13 billion dollars is redirected to those whose need is dire.

SOURCE

2. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Perhaps the wealthiest people in this country might be willing to give up their tax cuts? Doubtful! I'm sure that would be too great a sacrifice for them to make for the needs of Mississippi and Louisiana.

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Perhaps Louisiana, Mississippi, and every other state could each meet their own needs and cut out as much as possible of the funding arguments resulting from federal collection and redistribution less handling fees. That would necessitate taking another look at what is truly intrastate verses interstate transportation.