1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Let your women keep silent...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Judges 21:16 Then the elders of the congregation said, How shall we do for wives for them that remain, seeing the women are destroyed out of Benjamin?
    Judges 21:19 Then they said, Behold, there is a feast of the LORD in Shiloh yearly in a place which is on the north side of Bethel, on the east side of the highway that goeth up from Bethel to Shechem, and on the south of Lebonah.
    20 Therefore they commanded the children of Benjamin, saying, Go and lie in wait in the vineyards;
    21 And see, and, behold, if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in dances, then come ye out of the vineyards, and catch you every man his wife of the daughters of Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin.

If you are going to use the Book of Judges for a precedent for women prophesying, why not use it for the preferred way for men to get their wives as well. Go to a dance; see the woman you like, run after her and catch her; steal her and take her home.
    Sound like a plan?
    The theme of the Book of Judges:
    Judges 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

And you ask "Why Deborah??"

God works in different ways at different times in history.
    He doesn't talk to people through burning bushes, but he did talk to Moses that way.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    --In the OT God spoke through prophets in different ways.
    But now in the NT he speaks through his Son. The way that his Son is revealed to us during this time is through his Word. His completed revelation is the method that God speaks to us. The Holy Spirit speaks to through His Word.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That would not seem to meet the requirement. :)

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It would be covered.

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In fact, I think women should sit at the back of the church so they would not be tempted to talk.

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Why not just make them stay in the parking lot, and then if they talked, nobody would know or care. :rolleyes:

7. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

I used to come here quite often. Each time I come back I am quickly reminded why I don't visit much. But It's always nice to come back and see that nothing much has changed, while I have moved on. Those of you trying to convince others that women can speak in church are just spinning your wheels. I Joined a long time ago and no one has convinced the administrators of anything. But if it's a lively debate you're looking for, this is definitely the place to come. :smilewinkgrin: :BangHead: :laugh:

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You're pretty much right, at least as far as the people around here are concerned. Most of them are so steeped in their 19th-century Christianity, there's not really a lot of hope.

But elsewhere is another story. Evangelical Christians from some of the most conservative denominations are realizing that these few Pauline proof-texts used for centuries to repress God's Spirit are 1) not normative for us today, just like the command women covering their heads, and 2) when taken out of context, contradict the greater witness of the Bible in this matter.

Whatever DHK and the other folks think about this really doesn't matter, except to those who unfortunately find themselves in their direct sphere of influence.

9. tamborine lady

Whatever DHK and the other folks think about this really doesn't matter, except to those who unfortunately find themselves in their direct sphere of influence.

Quite right Jaigner, the rest of the world moves on. While the same old erroneous reasoning is going on here. I keep praying though.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals always trying to convince everyone else that other conservatives hold to their views. I guess it makes them more comfortable with their own position.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Don't confuse the liberals in politics with children of God that are free in the truth of His Word!

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word liberal does not just apply to politics.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Who was the letter written to?
    2. Was there a specific the problem in the church in Corinth?
    3. Did the same problem exist in other churches of that time?
    4. Is the admonishment just to the Corinthians or to all churches?
    5. If to all churches, how do you reconcile this verse with others that are more positive about women?
    6. Was Paul giving his opinion, or was it directly from God?
    7. Paul does not say it is from God as he did in some passages. Right?
    8. What was the place of women in the societies of his day?

14. tamborine lady

I find it amazing that a place that has so many strong opinions against women preaching, would still run an ad for Joyce Meyer, one of our best female PREACHERS in America today!? :laugh: :love2:

She does preach at her church you know!

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is just an opinion.
    Do you really call that preaching?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

BTW, Baptist Board does not have a great deal of control over the ads that google decides to run.

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I bet there are no fundamental Baptists there. :)

18. tamborine lady

DHK, just for future reference, define preaching for me if you would please.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps you should start a thread on "What makes a good preacher" instead.
    The word "preach" is simply "the proclamation of God's Word," which we are all commanded to do in the command given in the Great Commission: "Go into all the world and "preach" the gospel to every creature.
    That command is for all believers to obey. It can be as simple as giving the gospel in the witness of your own testimony.

But a preacher, able to preach in a church, is a different matter.
    First, it excludes all women.
    She "cannot be the husband of one wife," "rule his own household," etc. His wife must be in subjection. It is evident what gender fills the office of a bishop (overseer) or pastor. "She" cannot have authority over a man, nor cannot teach a man. These are stipulations that the Bible, not me, has set forth.
    Therefore it would be impossible for a woman to be a pastor/preacher of a church.

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember the three most important points for understanding your bible:

1. Context
    2. Context
    3. Context

Oh, and did I mention CONTEXT?

The context, as seen in 1 Timothy 1 and following, is that false teaching had crept into the church and must be dealt with.

In that time women were hardly more than chattel. Most were illiterate. The women of the church had listened to the false teachers, and not having the ability to check the bible to see if it was correct, passed it along to others.

Paul is telling Timothy that the women should be allowed in the church teaching ministries so that they can learn the truth. However, if the truth they heard contradicted the false teaching they had believed, they were forbidden to stand up and debate the issue in church. If they had a problem they were to take it up with their husbands at home.

This is not saying that women cannot testify, pray, or teach a Sunday School class. It is saying the exact opposite. Let the women be taught the truth and then allow them to pass that truth along to others, but not to try to dominate the men of the church or to make a public issue of their misunderstandings.